Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Electronics/Sound/Security Systems
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2002, 07:39 PM   #1
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Satellite Radio

Whats the thoughts on the new rave of Satellite Radio for you car, I think its kinda a cool idea personally, but how many people would pay for it??
Old 01-14-2002, 08:34 PM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Its a really cool idea, but I wouldn't pay the fee just to listen. I usually listen to CDs anyway.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 11:20 AM   #3
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
Its a really cool idea, but I wouldn't pay the fee just to listen. I usually listen to CDs anyway.

Ditto!!

-------------------------------------

Why is this in the * Security Systems* forum ??
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 12:28 AM   #4
BrandonClaps

imma move this to audio for ya
Old 01-17-2002, 10:22 AM   #5
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by BrandonClaps
imma move this to audio for ya

I could have.. But just wanted to know why first..

HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 01:21 PM   #6
BrandonClaps

My thoughts on XM, It's crystal clear everywhere, no commercials, lots of certain music like stations JUST for rap, hip hop, rock, country (puke). It's not awfully expensive, but if your listening to CD's all the time, who care right? If i traveled alot, i'd get it, i'd hate to keep listening to the same CD's over and over and over.
Old 01-17-2002, 02:00 PM   #7
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

No commercials is cool, and so is having certain types of music on certain channels only... but how many stations are there?

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 12:43 PM   #8
2000Pimpinex
Super Moderator

Unless you only listen to the radio, then I think it would be a waste of money. Personally, I only listen to CD's.
1985 Ford Bronco XLT 5.8 351W
w/ 33X12.5X15
2000Pimpinex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 04:16 PM   #9
BrandonClaps

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
No commercials is cool, and so is having certain types of music on certain channels only... but how many stations are there?

over 100 i believe, then again i could be wrong
Old 01-20-2002, 05:55 PM   #10
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by BrandonClaps
My thoughts on XM, It's crystal clear everywhere, no commercials, lots of certain music like stations JUST for rap, hip hop, rock, country (puke). It's not awfully expensive, but if your listening to CD's all the time, who care right? If i traveled alot, i'd get it, i'd hate to keep listening to the same CD's over and over and over.

thats my thought.. I hardly ever listen to CDs anymore cause Im tired of all mine, and Im to cheap to go buy all the CD I want..

PS.. It was meant for the sounds forum.. Im just Ignorant... I was trying to give brandon something to do..
Old 02-20-2002, 05:07 PM   #11
Honda_Gurl

i want it. i dunno about where ya'll are from, but there's like 3 radio stations here (decent ones anyways) and they all play the same 10 songs over and over again. and i hate having to change my cd's over & over... so for me, i think it'd be a good investment.

now i just need money...
Old 02-20-2002, 08:51 PM   #12
93chromeacc

It is a cool idea, and I'm gettin ready to put in my other car tomorrow, but I wouldn't pay no monthly fee for it...cuz afer a few months of not payin, even that will get cut off...lol.
Old 03-31-2002, 12:14 AM   #13
tooslow91crx

i think only something like 30 of the xm channels are totally commercial free. on the other hand, $10 a month is a lot cheaper than buying a new cd every time you want to listen to something new, and cheaper than buying the cdr's and spending the time to download and burn all the songs that i like, but not enough to buy the cd
Old 03-31-2002, 07:48 AM   #14
grumblemarc

Think about this. Anything satellite related suffers from things like sunspots, inclement weather and the like. When ANY or all of these factors are present you will not get the best reception if any. Ask people with satellite based systems about this issue and you'll see what I mean. Possibly they have found a way around this but I haven't researched it and until it's PROVEN itself I won't run out and spend my money just to have the latest toy. I don't think the minidisk EVER really caught on did it? But everybody ran out to buy a player/recorder remember?
Old 04-03-2002, 11:15 PM   #15
HondaTypeJ

I just got it and I love it. Its great, Crystal clear digital sound! Well worth 10 a month. Its even cool how it displays the artist, song title, etc on your display.
Old 04-05-2002, 11:59 AM   #16
Honda_Gurl

HondaTypeJ: if u don't mind my asking, how much did it all run u? and what exactly did u have to buy? what kind of receiver did u get? i want the sony one but it's so expensive!
Old 04-16-2002, 11:38 AM   #17
HondaTypeJ

No problem. I had to buy an XM ready head unit (I wanted the coolest one I saw, which happened to be the most expensive..500) then the XM reciever (which is mounted under the passenger seat) that cost 250 and the antenna that cost me nothing (it usually costs about another 100 but the Best Buy guy gave it to me for free since I spent a butt load of money there. It cost me alot of money but I am still quite happy with it. There are other XM ready recievers (sony brand) that are A LOT cheaper than the one I purchased, you just have to look. Pioneer has a lot of xm ready head units out and you can probably opt for them instead. I only buy Sony. PLUS, Sony is just now releasing their XM ready head units and they may not be available everywhere. I just got my new one last week. Pioneer has been out with their units longer. Wow, what a post. Sorry, I got carried away.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:49 AM   #18
Honda_Gurl

it's cool, hey thanks for the information!! i wanna sell my kenwood cd player (cost me 400) and get a new sony one to go with the rest of my sony stuff... i figured i could get the xm ready one so whenever i decide to get the whole thing, i'll be one step ahead.
Old 04-16-2002, 01:22 PM   #19
HondaTypeJ

Sony rulez! Check out the Sony CDX-MP70, that is the one I just got. You can see a pic of it in the "Something new to play with" post. I would post it here but it wont let me. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2002, 08:11 PM   #20
tooslow91crx

does your new sony skip like the rest of them seem to? i'm on my secon sony cd player and it skips like there's no tomorrow, especially with scratched cd's. does it have a separate input for the tuner or did you have to use the rca ins for a changer. i'm not ready to give up my changer yet.
Old 04-18-2002, 03:55 PM   #21
HondaTypeJ

RCA ins for a changer. This new Sony one I got (CDX-MP70) is BY FAR the best! Not a single skip...at all. I had skipping problems with other sonys and since I had a Best Buy 4 year warranty, I kept going back in replacing it..actually 4 times. This one I have now seems to be flawless...I love it. Check it out.
Old 04-18-2002, 11:45 PM   #22
Maxvla

satellite radio is too expensive, hardware and subscription... so... not for me.

but i love their commercials with the stuff falling on the 18 wheeler... though it pains me to see violins basses etc crushed since i repair them on a daily basis.
Old 04-25-2002, 01:10 PM   #23
black95gs-t

i do have advice for sony owners, don't use the d-bass. the d stands for distortion. thats funny, crashing violins.

"Hearts and minds gents.... And if that doesn't work, two in the heart and one in the mind."

"Life sucks.....so drop your pants and let the good times roll!" Mycivicjust8u
black95gs-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 12:45 AM   #24
Maxvla

no way jon! my sony sounded damn good with the dbass... very very nice. if i could have only gotten rid of the skipping.
Old 04-26-2002, 04:07 PM   #25
iamsparticuz

hmmmmm. I can list 4 things that can save you from ever buying another music cd or listening to the radio, because you wont get tired of listening to the "same" cd's, you can just "burn" new ones..

1.Morpheus or

Direct Connect

2. Broadband internet... i.e T1, dsl, satelite, cable

3. A CD Burner

4. Some cdr's

Of course if you dont have any of these you are going to have to pay money, im paying 33 a month for my cable Which is hooked up to a linksys 4 port router. Its capped @ like 3 megs or something really high, and the upload cap is @ 15kb. Which is normal. Dsl rates usually run a little higher and the download cap is @ 75 kb, which blows especially if you got a router(since that is split to others), but it all depends on what plan you are gettign with that particular dsl company, i named the 40 dollar plan for my area. Of course if you want it "faster" meaning a less of a cap you are going to have to pay more.

Well whatever you can download any song you want, not to mention not have to sit there for retarded 56k and you can find cdr's for less than 10 cents each, it all depends on where you look. The last time i bought a real audio cd(ie not a cdr) was probably 4 years ago.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:08 PM   #26
black95gs-t

well if your d-bass sounded good, then you were one of the lucky few.

"Hearts and minds gents.... And if that doesn't work, two in the heart and one in the mind."

Old 05-23-2002, 08:59 PM   #27
blind34_1

My two cents worth...for what its worth:

Dont jump on the XM bandwagon just yet. It has yet to prove itself. In the near future, word is corporate radio (currently analog) will be converting to digital transmission. What does this mean? It means all of our radios will be obsolete because a) analog wont receive digital and b) pirate analog stations wont be easy to receive because the digital channels will overpower them (could be wrong on that, though).
I personally will never pay for radio. Think about that. PAY for RADIO? Airwaves were/ are virtually free (to listen to). I won't support corporate radio. We'll always be able to burn our music from the net, regardless of what the MPAA and the government have to say about it. Just remember to support musicians (buy the good cds, go to shows) (watch for XM descramblers and ways around GPS locators - morally wrong? depends on your morals...)

Sorry kinda long...anyone feel free to contradict me...
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 02:21 PM   #28
black95gs-t

in addition to the xm ready radios are like cd changer ready radios. all it would be is a direct hookup. if you already have a radio in your car, which most of you do, you can hook up an XM reciever to that too. it does not need to be XM ready. oh the wonders of FM modulation.
J