Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Exclamation WIN2000 RAM issues..

Here's my setup

Abit KT7
Duron 800
RIVA TNT 2 32MEG VIDEO CARD
SBLIVE SOUND CARD

I used to roll with 128m of pc133 sdram..
Last week I got myself a stick of pc133 256m sdram
Now I run both (256 in 1st slot, and 128 in 2nd.)

Now for some reason, after my computer has been running for a couple of hours, it kinda lags every 10 secs (video, audio, everything)....

However, yesterday I was downloading all day, around 3-4 gigs, and it didnt lag at all.. after 8 hours of operation..

But today, after playing mp3s for like 3 hours, there is this lagging cycle.

At first I thought it was the stick of ram, incompatible perhaps.. But now I'm thinking Win2000 struggles to handle additional sticks of ram, when on a AMD platform.

What do you think?

Man this sucks, I dont have time for this.. Every time you do something, something else f'up.

thanks for your help,
JP
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 11:37 PM   #2
juvenile

I have the same ram setup as you.
THe thing I do is just reformat. could be the os acting up. does that alot.
Old 08-12-2002, 11:55 PM   #3
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i never had the problem with ram on win2k but the HDD's were a mess. i would clean the registry, and do a restore, or run SP1(servicepack1) for win2k. it clears a lot of problems, but you will have them back if u run SP2

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 11:56 PM   #4
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

i did install sp3, last week.. humm...

Old 08-13-2002, 12:04 AM   #5
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i never got any feedback on SP3 yet. i gotta wait few more weeks till i get an answer

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 08:00 AM   #6
mt.biker

format, its really the only good solution. At least that way you get a fresh start.. its bound to work then
Old 08-13-2002, 09:37 AM   #7
spoogenet

I don't see why you should be getting any noticeable performance degradation doing that.

I have had some issues with games, though. I had 128, then added another 128, then another 128. Everything was fine until I added the last stick then MDK2 crapped out hardcore. It barely runs on my system anymore. This is probably due to the way it handles memory combined with increased addressing to access the extra memory. Not positive on that one, though.....

b
Old 08-13-2002, 10:41 AM   #8
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by spoogenet
This is probably due to the way it handles memory combined with increased addressing to access the extra memory. Not positive on that one, though.....

b

I think, my prob is something similar..

I doubt the stick is defective, cause it works great, but one when the mem is saturated (i think..) it starts to act up..

I did fond this though:

Quote:
Description of Issue
An issue has been identified that could result in the corruption of video data shared between AGP graphics adapters and AMD Athlon™ or AMD Duron™ family processors, including the AMD Athlon™ MP, mobile Athlon™ 4, and AMD Athlon™ XP processors, when running Microsoft Windows®2000 Professional, Windows®2000 Server, or Windows®2000 Advanced Server. This issue is independent of system chipset and has been observed when running Ziff-Davis 3D Winbench™ 2000 and Mad Onion 3DMark™ 2000 in benchmarking mode. Note: This patch is not needed for Windows XP.

Solution
AMD and Microsoft have worked together to identify a patch that involves adding a key to the registry. To add the key run the registry key installation file below or add the registry key as detailed in Microsoft KnowledgeBase article Q270715. AMD recommends that AMD Athlon™ and AMD Duron™ family processors, including AMD Athlon™ MP, mobile AMD Athlon™ 4, and AMD Athlon™ XP processor users with AGP graphics adapters running Microsoft Windows®2000 Professional, Windows®2000 Server, or Windows®2000 Advanced Server install this patch.

Patch Download Agreement

Advanced Micro Devices, Inc

Old 08-13-2002, 01:11 PM   #9
Surfr

Have you tried checking the quality of the RAM with a utility like memcheck86 ?

you may be finding that certain address areas of your RAM are not used until the system is stressed and those areas could be faulty.

Memory is a strange technology in that it can be faulty yet still sellable. FOr this reason I recomend paying for good quality checked RAM, It's one of the most important areas of the system.

Hope that helps
Old 08-13-2002, 01:49 PM   #10
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by Surfr
Have you tried checking the quality of the RAM with a utility like memcheck86 ?

you may be finding that certain address areas of your RAM are not used until the system is stressed and those areas could be faulty.

Memory is a strange technology in that it can be faulty yet still sellable. FOr this reason I recomend paying for good quality checked RAM, It's one of the most important areas of the system.

Hope that helps

do you know how to use it?? I have it ,but never used it caus it looks kinda complicated.. wouldnt want to mess up more things..

Old 08-13-2002, 02:54 PM   #11
spoogenet

Not sure how you have it set up currently, but make sure you have the 256 stick in bank 0 and the 128 in bank 1, always put the larger first.

One of my stick has some faults in it, I actually have just a little short of 384MB....I forget which stick it is. I need to find the stick and pull it. That's what I get for paying peanuts for RAM. Oh, and I run my CAS3 at CAS2....hehe.

b
Old 08-13-2002, 03:15 PM   #12
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by spoogenet
Not sure how you have it set up currently, but make sure you have the 256 stick in bank 0 and the 128 in bank 1, always put the larger first.

One of my stick has some faults in it, I actually have just a little short of 384MB....I forget which stick it is. I need to find the stick and pull it. That's what I get for paying peanuts for RAM. Oh, and I run my CAS3 at CAS2....hehe.

b

wtf, total physical memory = 392,688 kb.

how much does it show in your system ressources??

Old 08-13-2002, 06:55 PM   #13
Surfr

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord Man

do you know how to use it?? I have it ,but never used it caus it looks kinda complicated.. wouldnt want to mess up more things..

Sorry I don't, but I hear it is a very useful piece of software. I guess try the readme files and look for help on the web.

Maybe I'll give it a try myself and report back on my findings
Old 08-13-2002, 07:28 PM   #14
spoogenet

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord Man

wtf, total physical memory = 392,688 kb.

how much does it show in your system ressources??

128 MB * 3 = 384 MB
384 MB * 1024 KB/MB = 393,216 KB

My system shows 392,692 KB.

If yours shows 392,688 KB sounds like you got screwed more than me!

That's what Win2k shows me, I'd have to reboot to check the number shown during POST. However I am positive that one of my sticks isn't a full 128 MB. When I had two sticks the number shown during POST was the correct number for 256 MB, however when I added the third the number was not correct for 384 MB.
Anyhow, I don't see anything wrong with my calculations so please inform me if anything is....

b
Old 08-13-2002, 11:06 PM   #15
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

ok I ran memtest86 and it seems my new stick of 256 has like 20 erroneous sectors..

Guess I'll be exchanging it..

humm, I hope thats what was causing the lag..

Also since I installed that patch form AMD (actually an edit of the reg), I've put my pc thru some hardcore tests and it seems fine now..

Old 08-17-2002, 02:11 PM   #16
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by Surfr

Sorry I don't, but I hear it is a very useful piece of software. I guess try the readme files and look for help on the web.

Maybe I'll give it a try myself and report back on my findings

ok, its really easy to use..

you download the zip, unzip it, and double-click the *.bat file..

it will install something on the diskette (oh, gotta put a blank diskette in),

then you reboot with the diskette, the program starts, and runs endlessly (it reapeats), so you just quiet after it does a full round.