.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions > For The Geek In You
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2005, 08:38 AM   #1
ShEaNy

New Computer Time

Well its that time again...new computer time...anyone have any good suggestions on what kind of computer (brand) i should look into..i just want lots of memory (60+GB) and lots of speed (2Ghz+processor) i dont want to custom make it at some place...ill just buy from future shop or best buy or someone like that...any help would be great dont worry bout price ...so far
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:41 PM   #2
FlooredAccord
2nd Gear

Buy a computer from me sheany! I custom build them for a living. I just hooked my bro up with one, and he likes it a lot. All the bells and whistles!

What are you gonna do? Sick your dogs on me? Or your bees? Or dogs with bees in their mouth so when they bark they shoot bees at me?
-Homer Simpson
FlooredAccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:50 PM   #3
Mischief

^^ probably your best offer right there.. you know you'll get a good price and a hooked up computer.

http://mensalmanac.com
Mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 01:12 AM   #4
blind34_1

or if you want, you could build it yourself and have the satisfaction of saying, "I built this myself".

If you want to do this, be ready to do plenty of research in the components you are interested in.

It helps if you know basic things about the workins of a computer.

Basically, all it is buying compatible parts and plugging everything in and screwing it down. then its software time.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 08:28 AM   #5
mavaaoife

I love my Dell.. although most people think dells suck It has been an awsome system for me.. Its a black flatscreen... 4500S Cpu... I think my dad said it costed him around $650... It was my Hs graduation gift... I love it..

Http://www.myspace.com/tehren84
mavaaoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 01:33 PM   #6
blind34_1

Dells are fine for most people. The only real problem I have with them is their "pre-bundled" software (the OS coming on "recovery discs") and a bunch of crap you don't need. And lots of times they will use proprietary hardware, so when something major fails, be prepared to bend over...

and your 4500S is a classic example. look at this link: http://support.us.dell.com/support/e...ov.htm#1101565

the power supply is propreitary: the only place you can get it is through dell. their goal is to use the cheapest components possible to sell low-priced systems. This PSU will likely fail sooner than most.

looking at the rest of those components ona 4500S, you've got hardly any room for expansion of any kind for two reasons: no physical room in the case, and no PSU to support the extra load, it's an obscene 180 watts. You're looking at minimal upgradeability. You may be able to add more RAM, and thats about it.

integrated crap graphics - big surprise as it couldnt handle a REAL graphics card.

$650 was probably not a horrible deal back when he bought it. A machine like that is fine for people that just want a computer to get on the internet, do office work, and play simple games. For everyone else, it is simply not enough.

Mycivicjust8u, I'm not dumping on you or your dad's decision to buy you that computer. But in looking at the upgradability options and Dell's decisions in hardware, I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea about what computer they may want to buy. I'm just making sure all angles are considered before a large investment is made.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 04:08 PM   #7
dabouncerx24

Sheany you know there are stores out there that custom build a computer for you...with no labor charges. I'm not sure about Winnipeg (wherever that is)...but places with a large asian population usually have a bunch of these stores that sells the same products as big corporations but at way cheaper prices. Check it out, heres one of them.

www.spectrumperipherals.com

Too bad they don't ship .
dabouncerx24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 10:22 AM   #8
ShEaNy

hmmm...ya i do have this 60GB hard drive...thats been sitting in a box for a year now (wasnt compatible to my computer...for some reason) maybe i will research on how to custom build one myself...i love the tower we have right now (HUGE) ill just use that case.....thanks guys for the info
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 07:21 AM   #9
fertooos

when we can test it?
fertooos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:29 AM   #10
TimmyHollins

Quote:
"when we can test it?"

Don't you mean:
When can we test it?
TimmyHollins is offline   Reply With Quote