.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > My Car is Broken!
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2004, 11:41 AM   #1
Dundaroo

Noise From Engine

I have a 98 honda civic LX (157k miles) and I have had a noise coming from the engine. It only happens when I press the gas for the first time or when I am sitting at a stoplight. The sound tends to go away after pressing the gas for a couple of seconds when accelerating. It sounds like a knocking sound that speeds up or slows down when I press the gas. Can anyone shed some light on what this might be?

I'm a newbie at working on cars and trying to find out as much as I can.

Old 01-21-2004, 12:50 PM   #2
blind34_1

try to describe this sound. is it squeak, squeel, clunk, thump, grind, scrape, etc?

What work have you had done recently? are you good with maintenance?
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 01:24 PM   #3
Dundaroo

Noise From Engine

I'm not too advanced at car maintenance, but I have had the oil changed and have had a tune up done.

I don't know if this had anything to do with it, but my CEL came on a little bit after the noise started. But the noise is almost like a knocking sound that only occurs when starting or accelerating for about 1/2 a mile.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:33 AM   #4
4drmadness

if you got a CEL light when it happened and you still have it the answer would be to have it hooked up to a computer and it will give you teh code to pinpoint it...Or should help Just my $.02
Old 01-22-2004, 11:50 AM   #5
blind34_1

yeah, he's right. Go somewhere that has cheap OBD2 diagnostic checking, and have them tell you what it was/is.

A cheap place to have this done is, if you have a community college in the area that has an automotive program. Call the head of the dept and ask if they would troubleshoot your car. They'll do it for next to nothing, they usually only ask that you pay for parts. You may have to get on a waiting list, but if you do it now you may get in.

I know my school is doing that, I'm considering signing up, because all you have to do is pay for parts. I'm planning on maybe new suspension and fixing some idle problems on my daily driver.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote