.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions > For The Geek In You
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2003, 01:28 PM   #1
rakugaki

normal temp for cpu

I have a 2ghz AthlonXP which i build a while back, i get freaked out cause my computer is a straight up heater that actually heats my room (the last computer i built for myself was a 400 k6-2 which was fast at the time...) . I get around 60-65*C from the fan sensor, is that good? I have a case fan, two extra fans that blow in and suck out air, and the stock cpu heatsink and fan.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:24 AM   #2
spoogenet

I would say 60-65C shouldn't be a huge concern. Usually modern processors are designed to run at least up to 80C without issues. If you don't get stability problems then there's nothing to worry about....unless of course you want to keep it for 20 years. The hotter it runs the more likely you are to get EM problems, if you get EM eventually the processor will "break"....but that'll usually take a while if you're within spec.

Check AMD's website to see what spec is on the processor heat. I know that the old Intel Celerons were good up to 70C by spec.

Also, the number of fans you have has no bearing on your temp unless you have proper thermal design. Adding fans can actually increase temperatures in regions.....so beware.

b
Old 03-28-2003, 04:21 PM   #3
drdingo21

60 is incredibly hot. When i use to use a heatsink and fan i got temps of no more than 40. Now i get temps no more than 30. Try reseating you heatsink, and only using a very thin layer of thermal grease. Also rub that crap off the bottom of the heatsink.

BTW the amd chips cook at 90
drdingo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 05:48 PM   #4
rakugaki

im looking into a coolermaster i heard they're really great , but i donno if i want to spend 30 for a better heatsink...i'd rather get an oil change or something, heh heh.... so what are you guys runnin in your computer(s)?
Old 03-28-2003, 08:19 PM   #5
drdingo21

im using watercooling. There are more than a couple great heatsinks for under 20.
Old 03-28-2003, 09:23 PM   #6
rakugaki

wow, watercooling? sounds expensive
Old 03-28-2003, 09:45 PM   #7
drdingo21

if you buy a kit its like $200. I built mine fore under $60 though....its almost perfectly silent and i get awesome temps.
Old 03-29-2003, 09:00 AM   #8
Maxvla

60-65 is quite hot. you really should get that under control.

i would suggest an SK7 from Thermalright. Thermalright is by far the best heatsink manufacturer right now. The SK7 will give you all the features of the really expensive heatsinks but for only 20 bucks.

just so you know i am running a 2100+ (1733mhz) at 2500mhz and my load temp with the Thermalright SLK800 heatsink is just under 50. Quite good for an overclock of that magnitude.

with watercooling the kits are almost always not the best way to go. sure it takes the guesswork out of it but then you don't know why you have what parts you have and likely don't know what they are made out of. I have pieced my own watercooling setup together and it should run around 185 all said and done. Hopefully I'll be able to get that here in the near future.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:21 PM   #9
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxvla
60-65 is quite hot. you really should get that under control.

i would suggest an SK7 from Thermalright. Thermalright is by far the best heatsink manufacturer right now. The SK7 will give you all the features of the really expensive heatsinks but for only 20 bucks.\
with watercooling the kits are almost always not the best way to go. sure it takes the guesswork out of it but then you don't know why you have what parts you have and likely don't know what they are made out of. I have pieced my own watercooling setup together and it should run around 185 all said and done. Hopefully I'll be able to get that here in the near future.

Ditto

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 11:58 AM   #10
Maxvla

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
Ditto

copy cat!
Old 03-31-2003, 02:11 PM   #11
spoogenet

Really if it's stable there isn't tons to worry about unless you plan on keeping it for many years to come.

drdingo: When you make a claim of 30 it would be nice to see "with watercooling" next to it....I was thinking you were getting 30 with juts a HS/fan combo.

Be sure to use a good thermal grease or else you aren't helping enough. I believe ArcticSilver or something like that is one of the highest recommended ones.

b
Old 03-31-2003, 05:32 PM   #12
ohiochica

ummmm i only have a fan in mine and i get temps of 32-42c.

Ohio HST members please read this
ohiochica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 06:08 PM   #13
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

how do i measure the temp on an intel cpu ????

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 06:29 PM   #14
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac

You can download motherboard monitor if your mobo supports it.

I think its:
http://mbm5.livedev.com or something like that.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 08:03 AM   #15
spoogenet

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac

Your motherboard must have a thermal sensor under the CPU (assuming a PGA package) for you to check the temp. The CPU is aware of its own temperature, but to date I'm not aware of any Intel CPUs broadcasting their temps to the outside world.

You may be able to get a HS/fan with a built-in thermal sensor, I'm not sure, but you'd run into calibration problems.

b
Old 04-02-2003, 05:40 AM   #16
rakugaki

oookay, i finally figured it out: i peaked 71*C the other night (using mbm5 btw), i got super pissed! I shut of the computer and busted open the pannels. apparently, i did a great job covering up the open spaces so that the fans where the only way air could get it, but most of all, I blame it on the stupid design of my desk. its one of those desks that have a place for your tower, but no fresh air can get through, so i removed it, and now i have more leg room and my computer sits on the floor. Now i get around 50*C but no more than 60*C. im still looking into a better heatsink though, but i feel a bit better now. thanks guys
Old 04-02-2003, 10:46 AM   #17
spoogenet

Yeah proper airflow is useful.

Bear in mind that other parts of the computer can suffer from high heat, a cool CPU doesn't mean the HD is nice and cool......personally I care more about HD than anything else.

Make sure MBM is calibrated for the correct thermal sensor or else you'll get bum readings.

b