::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2002, 02:59 PM   #1
ShEaNy

Is this bad for my engine?

ok when i race and its a set race (i know about it) i take my intake right out just for the race then throw it back in. and i usually win lol.. is this bad for my engine? i know dust and stuff are getting stucked in but its way faster..
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 03:18 PM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Yes, its bad for it... and you couldn't be way faster w/o it anyway. How much faster are you talking about?

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 03:21 PM   #3
ShEaNy

ok well i'm serious i can tell the different its faster thats all i can say i mean i was going to cut my piping like 9 inches away from the opening so theres not a big pipe there. Save time for the air to get in. But i dunno if this will ruin it...?
Old 04-12-2002, 05:46 PM   #4
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Dude are you crazy??
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 06:08 PM   #5
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Your theory about a shorter pipe getting air in faster is wrong, running w/o a filter is BAD. Gains from an AEM CAI are hardly noticable on the butt dyno, so I doubt you can really feel a diff. Did you try cleaning your stock filter? Just drop in a K&N filter in your airbox if you want better airflow.

Old 04-12-2002, 06:47 PM   #6
ShEaNy

no k I have a Short RAm Intake If i cut the pipe closer to the opening where the air goes in to the engine (ican't remember all the terms!!) and put the fat round K&N filter i have on the end won't it be better?... that won't work?? like i mean theres a filter and everything.... i don't have a stock intake anymore....some guy was telling me i could do this.. like i have no idea!
Old 04-12-2002, 06:56 PM   #7
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

There's no reason to cut your intake... if the filter sucks, then yeah, put a K&N filter on the end of it.

Old 04-12-2002, 06:59 PM   #8
ShEaNy

well ya i have a K&N on there but i just always think the less way for the air to go the better it is like i'm so confused i'd have 5 guys telling me 5 different things and then i'd be like HUH? lol i hate that i guess i'll just keep the short ram With K&N on it and get a CAI soon cause i guess its better..thanks.
Old 04-12-2002, 08:04 PM   #9
spoogenet

I dunno that shorter is better. I could attempt to use my limited knowledge of fluid dynamics to explain hot it's not always the case, but I'd rather not be corrected too much by someone who knows more/better....thus I'll spare me the trouble.

b
Old 04-13-2002, 12:16 AM   #10
Maxvla

answer me this:

if you take your filter off what is there to protect the engine from particles in the air?

never take it off. thats why there are companies that make air filters that are high-flow. short rams are different from cold air intake. you are on both ends of the spectrum...

one more thing. take a chill pill. you made me jumpy just readin your damm posts! lol.
Old 04-13-2002, 02:00 AM   #11
azn_nite_ryder

try sniffing dirt and tell me how you feel..... exactly.. the car wont like it either...
Old 04-13-2002, 01:50 PM   #12
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by azn_nite_ryder
try sniffing dirt and tell me how you feel..... exactly.. the car wont like it either...

Good analogy But yeah, like everyone's saying, just clean your filter and be happy with it. A K&N filter is great.

Old 04-13-2002, 07:02 PM   #13
ShEaNy

But i sniff dirt all the time...... LOL
Old 04-14-2002, 02:02 AM   #14
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

umm i don't see what difference you could notice. first of all the engine will suck the warmest air from the bay, so the power will go down. and second off all, the engine tends to suck a lot of stuff. one day i found an entire cigarrete in my air filter box

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 08:20 AM   #15
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
one day i found an entire cigarrete in my air filter box

LMAO

So your car is picking up some bad habbits huh?!

HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 02:16 AM   #16
azn_nite_ryder

Quote:
umm i don't see what difference you could notice. first of all the engine will suck the warmest air from the bay, so the power will go down. and second off all, the engine tends to suck a lot of stuff. one day i found an entire cigarrete in my air filter box

hahah now that was funnier than my quote....
Old 04-17-2002, 03:11 PM   #17
Reddevil

ok all. I work with fluid flows for my job (yes air is a fluid). The longer the run of pipe feeding your throttle body, the higher your pressure drop will be. The more bends it takes the higher the pressure drop will be. However, I can't imagine that there is any significantly noticable power loss from these pressure drops. Next, the shorter you make the pipe, the closer you are to the engine heat. That is proven to be a bad thing. The cooler your air flow in is, the more dense the oxygen in the combustion which is where the power increase comes from. So by taking of the pipe completely, you are removing the restriction of the air filter (of which there should be minimal with a K&N) which is helping you get more air, however at the same time you are getting hot air which will have less oxygen.

That covers the air flow aspect. I think everyone else has explained pretty well why you don't want to remove the filter. Dirt is definately bad for the engine. However, I will say this, I would guess that you haven't done any damage to your engine if you did it only for short intervals. I also used to work on dirt track race cars with V8 chevy engines, and my dad builds them. He always tunes them, AT THE TRACK DURING THE RACES, with the filter off, while he is adjusting the squirters etc. on the carburator. So I'm sure your engine is safe. Just don't continue to do it.

Scott
Old 04-17-2002, 03:33 PM   #18
spoogenet

Since you appear to know about fluid flow, answer me this:

Would the shape/size/length of the pipe matter? I ask in reference to the concept of air swirling (for lack of a more term). I would suspect that if you can get a fluid to flow through a pipe in a swirling motion (whirlpool), it will flow through the pipe faster than if it is in a linear fashion. Not that air will ever really flow in a true linear motion, but on with the show. The shape/size/length of the pipe will affect the fluid motion through the pipe, I guess that answers my first question in its simplest form. So what I really want to know is: would a whirlpool effect actually increase the volume of fluid through the pipe and would the shape/size/length of the pipe cause a whirlpool to occur in the fluid?

If my suspicions are correct, simply slapping a few inches of piping onto the throttle body wouldn't necessarily increase the volume of air transferred, and could in fact reduce it over stock or another aftermarket intake.

That should cover it for now.

b
Old 04-17-2002, 03:55 PM   #19
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by spoogenet
Since you appear to know about fluid flow, answer me this:

Would the shape/size/length of the pipe matter? I ask in reference to the concept of air swirling (for lack of a more term). I would suspect that if you can get a fluid to flow through a pipe in a swirling motion (whirlpool), it will flow through the pipe faster than if it is in a linear fashion. Not that air will ever really flow in a true linear motion, but on with the show. The shape/size/length of the pipe will affect the fluid motion through the pipe, I guess that answers my first question in its simplest form. So what I really want to know is: would a whirlpool effect actually increase the volume of fluid through the pipe and would the shape/size/length of the pipe cause a whirlpool to occur in the fluid?

If my suspicions are correct, simply slapping a few inches of piping onto the throttle body wouldn't necessarily increase the volume of air transferred, and could in fact reduce it over stock or another aftermarket intake.

That should cover it for now.

b

that should be the idea behind the tornado fuel saver. If u plan on putting one just make sure you weld it before it gets sucked in the TB, and have all the mechanics laugh their asses of at you.

Old 04-17-2002, 04:14 PM   #20
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

I just watched an infomercial for the tornado thing. They actually said that the swirling motion continues on and somehow enhances combustion. I would never buy something like that.

Old 04-17-2002, 07:54 PM   #21
Maxvla

think about it... while the air is swirling the air is moving around the pipe not directly through it... which means it is traveling a further distance. how could it improve air flow when its going further? hm?
Old 04-18-2002, 08:20 AM   #22
spoogenet

Quote:

that should be the idea behind the tornado fuel saver. If u plan on putting one just make sure you weld it before it gets sucked in the TB, and have all the mechanics laugh their asses of at you.

I have no clue what you're talking about.

The air would travel further, yes. But think about when you dump a massive amount of water down the drain.....the water has a natural tendency to form a whirlpool. The flow of fluids will always take the path of least resistance and maximize the volume of fluid flow for a given state (such as pressure drop/flow resistance). I do not know if the mechanics of the intake system would form a favorable state to whirlpooling...I don't even know if what I'm saying makes sense or is valid. :o

I'm just proposing an idea, and looking to be a) proven right, or b) proven wrong.

I'm using a limited knowledge of fluid dynamics combined with random noise in my brain to come up with this stuff. I'd like someone with a better understanding to explain why I'm wrong or right. I don't think common sense will satisfactorily answer my questions....because I'm starting to doubt the validity of my question myself after thinking about it more.

b
Old 04-18-2002, 09:26 AM   #23
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

umm the whirl will work if the intake would have only a open end, and the other one closed. taje a 2 liter bottle of pepsi fill it with watter and atempt to drain it. it will make a lot of bubbles, but if u cut the closed end the water will drain as fast as making the whirpool, so i don't think there is any gain.

Old 04-18-2002, 12:29 PM   #24
spoogenet

Quote:
umm the whirl will work if the intake would have only a open end, and the other one closed. taje a 2 liter bottle of pepsi fill it with watter and atempt to drain it. it will make a lot of bubbles, but if u cut the closed end the water will drain as fast as making the whirpool, so i don't think there is any gain.

What exactly are you saying? Are you saying that a 2 liter with with the bottom cut off will drain just as quickly if there is no whirlpool as it would if there is a whirlpool? I don't know, I haven't tried it....that's part of what I'm trying to get at. I guess I could just do the dern experiment and figure it out.

But since the engine isn't sucking air at a constant rate, then it would disrupt the airflow through the tube....so any whirling motion would probably get disrupted if it were to exist....thus nullifying my original question.?!

b
Old 04-18-2002, 03:38 PM   #25
onebad90accord

LMAO
Quote:
So your car is picking up some bad habbits huh?!

yah thats funny!!! lol
Old 04-18-2002, 09:47 PM   #26
Reddevil

all fluids have a tendency to create a whirlpool effect when draining from one area to another. however, our intakes aren't really drains, more like pipes directing air from point a to point b. I highly doubt that it will make a whirlpool. I also agree with Maxvla that it is travelling further when swirling and we clearly want to ram as much air as fast as possible, so making it travel more seems to go against any increases. Now it would seem advantageous to swirl the air if you are using it to increase pressure in say a.....Turbo system!! That's a whole other story though and it isnt a whirlpool either, so I'll just drop that.

Scott
Old 04-18-2002, 10:06 PM   #27
ShEaNy

wow this topic has really exploded.... lol i'm fine with my intake now .. i got my exhaust done and it all goes together good....lol..