Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Electronics/Sound/Security Systems
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2005, 09:47 AM   #1
DjFrost

Audio n00bie o_0 yep yep! HELP!!!

Whatz up!

I have never been really big on car audio. Both of my cars have stock set up with cassette players. I just been using my 20 GB Mp3 Player with the cassette adapter for all my tunes.

But now since I decided to upgrade the audio/video in my 1998 Accord and that I have my Carputer coming in by the end of this week. I also need to upgrade my inside speakers and get some sort of amp. I don't have any plans on putting extra speakers in the trunk tho.

I need some advice as to what I should get. All this audio stuff sound like a foreign language to me. All the wattage, RMS, speaker, amp stuff is kind of confusing

So what type of wattage, rms, speakers, amp, should I be looking for if I want a nice, little bit louder and crispier sound? I need to get something fast because I will be installing my carputer next week!
Old 06-15-2005, 10:39 AM   #2
sicones

what do you mean "carputer" if you have drivesoft I doubt that
sicones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 10:55 AM   #3
DjFrost

a custom made car pc with Windows XP and a touchscreen monitor....for all my mp3 and music video playback o_0..
Old 06-15-2005, 12:49 PM   #4
AkimboStylee

all right it is a matter of preference, just stay away from sony.
you have three types of levels. Bass, Mid-Range, Tweeter.

i would only get an amp that will push what till probably be 6X9(bass), and of course those will have to go in the back.

for Mid-Range i suggest a Component set, that has the mid range speaker, a tweeter and a crossover.

A crossover is an audio set up that splits the channel up in highs and lows, so that way you have no bass going to the tweeter, and no highs going to the mid-range speaker.

but as you will see, you are going to have the need. the need for bass. you can achieve this by installing a subwoofer. just one. all you need is a Kicker Solobaric L7, 12". one will sound like a pair, believe me, these speakers are awesome!!

all right head unit time. Get the one that fits your needs. in this case you will need one that has 3 sets of outputs, and 1 set of Auxillary inputs. I would also suggest that you get one that has a high enough internal amplifier, and voltage going to the Rcas.

lastly how much are you willing to spend????
Old 06-15-2005, 01:01 PM   #5
DjFrost

I am willing to spend up to 500 bucks.... my carputer cost me a quite a penny already :P

all the tunes and video will be coming out of that carputer thingy o_0

oh and I have 6.5 speakers in the front and 6x9's in the back!

and I don't really want too much bang... just something that will sound a bit louder and cleaner then my stock setup o_0

Last edited by DjFrost : 06-15-2005 at 01:05 PM.
DjFrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 01:21 PM   #6
sicones

I have seen nothing but good results and quality sound from sony I have installed 100s of sony moble stuff and its all still working, I cant say that about some other products iv seen go down the drain, alpine, rockford, audiobahn and kicker. all of those products at one point shitted out on my friends
sicones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 02:06 PM   #7
CD5Passion

well all components will eventually shit given the time and how much stress they put on them. but the best sounding stuff I've really heard is some Polk. I have sony components and they all shit the bed.
I've been using an Audiobahn 4 channel amp rated at 400watts and i drove two inifnity Kappa Perfect dual voice coil subs on it. the audiobahn amp hasn't let me down and its sounds nice on the infinity subs i have.

but like i said whenever i decide to change out my components I'm going with Polk
I also own a Polk surround sound system Rm6800 and it's amazing
polk = awesome quality

when you go to buy speakers and you want to amplify them make sure you get speakers with a good high rms watts this way you can supply more power to them without worrying (quite as much) about blowing them easily. you want something solid and sounds good. the more power you supply to speakers the better the sound quality will be. and of course a lot of it depends on how you tune the speakers (thats the hardest part)
Old 06-23-2005, 01:28 AM   #8
AkimboStylee

polk is good, just not the MOMO series.
the system that i am putting together is 3 12" Kicker Solo-Baric L7, with a nice Monoblock amp either MTX or Rockford, I might get a new Headunit, but i like mine, it is a Panasonic Touch Screen, I have had ir for 3 years now, Might upgrade to Either a Kenwood Excellon, or Pioneer deck, NO FRILLS, i can't stand decks that have lcd screens and what not. Or instead of the kickers i might go with one W7 (JL) cause they are clean. but that is within the next year
Old 07-01-2005, 05:06 PM   #9
AkimboStylee

so hows the system coming along?