Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2005, 02:40 PM   #1
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

The most underrated movies

Ok...so I'm trying to put together a list of the most underrated or most ignored good movies. Three rules apply:

1. It has to be made within the last 5-10 years.
2. It has to be Amerikan (or at least released in the U.S.). Otherwise I could make a list pages long of Asian movies you've never heard of and will never see.
3. No romance movies. Romance movies are shitty swill and do not deserve to be considered in the same light as most other films.

That all being said, I'm having trouble getting past 2. My first would have to be 8MM. The movie is just so damn disturbing and when you ask people if they like it they always cringe and tell you it was sick. I happen to love it, so fuck them. Second would have to be one Wren reminded me of the other day, Equilibrium. I finally got to sit down and watch it and just about blew my load. There's a lot of existentialism (and I mean A LOT) and most people who know me know I hate existentialism. But this time it's broken up with Orwellian themes and some retardedly amazing action sequences. Plus it's always good when Tae Diggs gets his shit ruined by a samurai sword. Let's see any Matrix movie step to that. Sadly, since this turned a profit in Europe alone it's U.S. release was limited since the studio didn't want to risk making it a money loser.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:54 PM   #2
Leets
2nd Gear

I agree Equilibrium was an awesome movie. It was originally ruined for me because I saw it with my ex-girlfriend (idiot) so the whole time she complained how stupid it was, simply because she couldn't understand it.

I also suggest Brother (or Aniki as the Japanese title). It was one of these American/Japanese movies that never really got any notice over here even though it has one of the best Japanese actors ever... and Omar Epps. If you haven't seen it... you need to rent it.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:15 PM   #3
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by Leets
I also suggest Brother (or Aniki as the Japanese title). It was one of these American/Japanese movies that never really got any notice over here even though it has one of the best Japanese actors ever... and Omar Epps. If you haven't seen it... you need to rent it.

I own that, actually. And the actor is Takeshi "Beat" Kitano.The movie was ok...but Kitano was better in Hana Bi or battle Royale, among others.

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 06-22-2005, 05:34 PM   #4
CD5Passion

ummm....I like One Hour Photo alot..never heard much about that one..but Robbin Williams played one sick fucker thats for sure

and then there's Boondock Saints..small market but rather large cult following lol
Old 06-22-2005, 09:27 PM   #5
JDMFantasy2k

yeah one hour photo was weird, but it was cool in a sense that the guy had no life and it just made you think.

Two movies i think should get and honorable mention are collateal and saw.

Tom Cruise's acting in collateral was top notch, and it was nice to see him as the bad guy for once. Not to mention that scene when he kills the guys who steal his briefcase is absolutely sick.

My favorite part of saw was just seeing all the other games the guy had made for the different people, although the movie did drag a bit. I also liked the fact that that one guy came into the main room, and the guys thought he was the main guy, when in fact, that guy was part of the whole game. gotta love misdirection.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:42 PM   #6
CD5Passion

yeah i just watched Collateral and that movie had be damn good. great acting, great story, great capture. Cruise was fucking ruthless and I'm not a huge fan of him at all.

Saw was amazing, fuckign sick ass movie
Old 06-23-2005, 01:19 AM   #7
RxGoaT13
4th Gear

Equilibrium rocked,i went and seen it in the theater without knowing anything about it, and i was blown away.

I liked Frailty alot.I thought it had a good story and nice plot twist.
RxGoaT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 01:50 AM   #8
MissJDM

Yeah Yeah Yeah..I liked most of the movies mentioned above BUT I also love romantic movies..like, er, The Notebook!. damnit guy, give it a shot!!

you say it best when you say nothing at all
MissJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 02:08 AM   #9
CD5Passion

I <3 Garden State

and a movie i just got to see tonight..has anyone else seen the movie The Jacket (it came out tuesday on DVD)
amazing movie, independent film that went to the sundance festival and won obviously...that's a mind fuck film there
Old 06-23-2005, 09:50 AM   #10
Leets
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by MissJDM
Yeah Yeah Yeah..I liked most of the movies mentioned above BUT I also love romantic movies..like, er, The Notebook!. damnit guy, give it a shot!!

ok, I admit it... I didn't want to watch it, but my girlfriend finally weasled me in to sitting through the whole movie with her...

... and I'm not afraid to say that I ... actually liked it.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:44 PM   #11
Mischief

The notebook is the lamest movie ever, I don't care what anyone says.. it just sets guys up for failure when romancing a girl "oh well the boy in the notebook did this" FUCK HIM!

btw 8mm was badass, I remember watching that on HBO when I first started getting it..

http://mensalmanac.com
Mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 01:20 PM   #12
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

A long time ago after 8MM came out there was this girl I was trying to hook up with and she came over to my house to watch a movie with me and some friends. We had 8MM and Event Horizon. She told me some idiot actually took her to see 8MM as a first date. I cannot stress this point enough fellows: DO NOT MAKE YOUR FIRST DATE A MOVIE ABOUT SNUFF FILMS. We ended up watching Event Horizon which, coincidentally, is also another underrated movie.

Old 06-23-2005, 01:42 PM   #13
Leets
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Mischief
The notebook is the lamest movie ever, I don't care what anyone says.. it just sets guys up for failure when romancing a girl "oh well the boy in the notebook did this" FUCK HIM!

you've obviously never seen "How To Lose A Guy..."

... and I don't know who you're trying to romance... but I've never had any problems... regardless of what chick-flick they've seen.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:45 PM   #14
Mischief

Quote:
Originally posted by Leets
you've obviously never seen "How To Lose A Guy..."

... and I don't know who you're trying to romance... but I've never had any problems... regardless of what chick-flick they've seen.
actually I don't romance chicks, it's a waste of time. I'd rather hang out with my friends and pick up shallow girls with no potential long-term relationships down at the beach than romance one.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:02 PM   #15
Leets
2nd Gear

Quote:
actually I don't romance chicks, it's a waste of time. I'd rather hang out with my friends and pick up shallow girls with no potential long-term relationships down at the beach than romance one.

if that works for you... more power to ya, I guess
Old 06-23-2005, 09:12 PM   #16
MissJDM

Quote:

I am so not surprised to see that it was a comment from you.

Like Leets, whatever makes ya happy!

I just happen to dig that romance jibberish.

Old 06-24-2005, 12:37 AM   #17
Mischief

Quote:
I am so not surprised to see that it was a comment from you.
I'm hurt, what's that suppose to mean?
Old 06-24-2005, 12:49 AM   #18
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:

While I don't share your man-whore nature, I do agree that romance (at least the kind portrayed in movies like that) is generally bullshit. Show me a guy who acts like that in real life and I'll show you a closeted gay man. If not playing stupid bullshit games means I don't get invited to a girl's bedroom, I consider it a bargain.

Old 06-24-2005, 01:50 AM   #19
MissJDM

Quote:
Originally posted by GT40FIED
While I don't share your man-whore nature, I do agree that romance (at least the kind portrayed in movies like that) is generally bullshit. Show me a guy who acts like that in real life and I'll show you a closeted gay man. If not playing stupid bullshit games means I don't get invited to a girl's bedroom, I consider it a bargain.

Raff's not gay!

My hunnie is Mr. Romantic.

Old 06-24-2005, 02:20 AM   #20
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Raff's not gay!

My hunnie is Mr. Romantic.

He also likes pink shirts. You be the judge.

Old 06-24-2005, 11:07 AM   #21
MissJDM

Didn't I tell you? He just got a ton of purple ones too (not solid purple). He was even shopping WITH me at the time of purchase!

C'mon Steven, bet you you'd look gangsta in pink!

Old 06-24-2005, 11:20 AM   #22
nonovurbizniz

1. Pi (the symbol not the word) AWESOME MOVIE
2. Happiness... along the same lines as 8mm it's just disturbing but it's a good movie... you'll feel dirty or sick for watching it though... and probobly think HORRIBLE thoughts about whoever suggested it... movie is TWISTED.
3. Fist of Legend BEST KUNGFU MOVIE EVER
4. Requim for a Dream... Good kinda sick too
5. I'll think about it... not a title a decleration.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:14 AM   #23
AkimboStylee

Darkness, i don't know if anyone saw this movie but ithought it was kickass
Old 06-25-2005, 01:21 AM   #24
4jacks

Suicide Kings
Hugo Pool
Pi (the greek symbol pi)
Jacob's Ladder
Donnie Darko

i know lots more... bbl

Happy Honda'ing
4jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 08:17 PM   #25
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Donnie Darko actually has a pretty big "cult" following. I don't think I know anyone who hasn't seen it and didn't love it.

What about movies that time virtually forgot? I remember when I was 11 or 12 I went to see a movie called Fire In The Sky (came out in '93 so most of you probably don't even know it exists). I loved that movie and it probably had a good deal to do with my interest in UFOs and all things weird (a knowledge I have since mastered...Darin can attest to that) but for the longest time you couldn't find a copy ANYWHERE. I spent years trying to track this movie down...even Ebay was getting me nowhere. It's since been re-released onto DVD and pops up here and there, but for all intents and purposes time has forgotten it.

Old 06-26-2005, 12:30 AM   #26
CD5Passion

i'll fight lynas boyfriend for pink slips

haha
requiemk for a dream was fucking crazy.....if i wtched that fucked up like i ann now...damn i'd be con confused bunle of jap

and yes Steve isguru of all tjat it alive and livng
Old 06-26-2005, 01:40 AM   #27
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by CD5Passion
i'll fight lynas boyfriend for pink slips

haha
requiemk for a dream was fucking crazy.....if i wtched that fucked up like i ann now...damn i'd be con confused bunle of jap

and yes Steve isguru of all tjat it alive and livng

Old 06-26-2005, 03:16 AM   #28
thermal
Banning Machine

I think Crash rocks!

I cant believe I havent seen Equilibrium, 8MM, and Donnie Darko yet......

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 05:10 AM   #29
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by thermal
I cant believe I havent seen Equilibrium, 8MM, and Donnie Darko yet......

For shame Arnel...for shame.

Old 06-27-2005, 08:46 AM   #30
nonovurbizniz

5. Super troopers.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:45 AM   #31
4jacks

OH yeah... this is probably more than 5 years old but

KIDS

one messed up but really good movie

another good one

WHITE BOYS -maybe- WHITE BOYZ

Happy Honda'ing
Old 06-30-2005, 02:16 PM   #32
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by 4jacks
OH yeah... this is probably more than 5 years old but

KIDS

one messed up but really good movie

another good one

WHITE BOYS -maybe- WHITE BOYZ

Kids was great, but I think it got largely ignored because of it's NC-17 rating.

Old 06-30-2005, 05:50 PM   #33
4jacks

still gives me the heebie jeebies

Happy Honda'ing