::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2002, 07:37 PM   #1
ajfiji03

Short Shifter

Where in heck does a short shifter adapter go? I have a 1995 Accord and I have been trying to figure this out for hours. I have taken out my console and taken off the shifter cover so it reveals the two cables and the actual shifter and I can't figure out what to attach it to. PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 03-26-2002, 09:14 PM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Welcome to HS.

You detach the cable from the stick. Then you bolt the adapter to where the cable attached, and the cable to your adapter.

Which SSA do you have? I have the B&M and its really straight forward to install.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 09:50 PM   #3
ajfiji03

I don't really know what kind it is. I ordered it from ProCarParts.com. If I connect it to the shifter then the it won't go into 2nd, 4th or Reverse because it stops. Maybe they sent me the wrong adapter. You hook the screw through the cable hole, and the other hole goes over the shifter where the cable went before I took it off. Is that right?
Old 03-26-2002, 09:56 PM   #4
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Here's a link that shows an installed SSA... I'm not sure what you're saying, but this is the one I have...

http://torontoaccords.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2765

LMK if you have more questions after seeing this.

Old 03-26-2002, 10:10 PM   #5
ajfiji03

Thanks, I think that they sent me the wrong one. That web site helped a lot. That looks nothing like the one that I received.
Old 03-27-2002, 01:42 PM   #6
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Alright, hope you get everything straightened out. Different brands will look a little different (if you don't have a B&M (the one pictured on that page) it won't have three different holes to pick to install the cable into). Even though models will vary, they should all attach basically the same way.

Old 03-27-2002, 02:22 PM   #7
spoogenet

Anybody know a good link with details for a 6th gen Accord?

Also, anybody know why ya can't get a whole shift lever for the Accord anymore? C's used to sell a really nice one for the '95 Accord, but no more.

b
Old 03-27-2002, 04:52 PM   #8
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by spoogenet
Anybody know a good link with details for a 6th gen Accord?

Also, anybody know why ya can't get a whole shift lever for the Accord anymore? C's used to sell a really nice one for the '95 Accord, but no more.

b

C's is the only true ss for our Accords. BTW, the 6th gen install should be roughly the same as the link posted.

Old 03-28-2002, 08:25 AM   #9
spoogenet

I don't think C's makes them anymore, though. Not even for the 5th Gen. I could only find them for Civics and Tegs, I think. They are pretty popular among the Mazda crowd.

I'd rather get a true SS for my car rather than mucking around with an adapter and having to chop/straighten my shift lever.

I was also hoping the installation would be less involved than that....it seems to me like that site lists a lot more parts to take off than are really necessary. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'll have to get a hold of my bro and see how much effort he went through when he put the C's on his '95.

b
Old 03-28-2002, 08:20 PM   #10
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:

I'd rather get a true SS for my car rather than mucking around with an adapter and having to chop/straighten my shift lever.

Hold up there. You don't have to do anything but just install the adapter. This will take 15 minutes max and you're done. The other stuff in that link are just extras.

Old 03-29-2002, 09:26 AM   #11
spoogenet

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX

Hold up there. You don't have to do anything but just install the adapter. This will take 15 minutes max and you're done. The other stuff in that link are just extras.

That's not entirely true!

I know the adapter shouldn't take very long....it just looked like he went through more stuff to get the adapter on than I would have thought, such as taking off the plate around the radio. I woulda thought just the center console around the shifter would suffice, but I haven't investigated how things fit yet to really see what'll need to come off on the 6th gen.

But, I don't want the shift knob at the stock height, I would rather it be lower. To make it lower, I'll have to chop it off. Problem is, though, AFAIK it's not a straight lever, so I may have to get it straightened out to make things look/fit properly. To do that, I'll have to take it off and deliver it to a machine shop to do the work for me. Which, according to that link, will take more time and work.

First things first, though, I need to find a good machine shop in town and also get the adapter.

Who makes the adapter with the shortest throw for a 6th gen Accord?

b
Old 03-29-2002, 01:02 PM   #12
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
But, I don't want the shift knob at the stock height, I would rather it be lower. To make it lower, I'll have to chop it off. Problem is, though, AFAIK it's not a straight lever, so I may have to get it straightened out to make things look/fit properly. To do that, I'll have to take it off and deliver it to a machine shop to do the work for me. Which, according to that link, will take more time and work.

First things first, though, I need to find a good machine shop in town and also get the adapter.

Who makes the adapter with the shortest throw for a 6th gen Accord?

b

I like the B&M adapter b/c it has adjustable neutral position. I'm taking apart my console today if anyone needs pics of something specific btw.

I don't know if the link covered it, but you can swap a lude shifter assembly into your accord, which features a slightly shorter, straight stick. Since your stick has a bend, the machine shop should be able to chop a section out under the bend reweld.

Its more work, but that's half the fun, right?

Old 03-29-2002, 04:37 PM   #13
spoogenet

I can drop a Prelude shifter in my 6th gen? Which year Prelude would be compatible, do you know? That's slightly enticing, especially because then i could chop it myself without needing a machine shop....

b
Old 03-29-2002, 09:24 PM   #14
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Here's the prelude thing... not 100% sure about doing it in a 6th gen, but...

http://www.hondasociety.com/board/sh...threadid=41881