::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2003, 12:29 PM   #1
DjBert

When should I get my turbo?

Hi I'm definately going to be turboing my b16a2 in the near future but I don't know what order to get the parts in...

I WAS going to get a full 3inch bore exhaust system installled, then get the turbo but set the boost to practically nothing, then start building up the internals and turn up the boost as I go along.

But would using an exhaust like that on my n/a engine give me a sever loss in power? That's the message i seem to be getting at the moment...

Basically my question is: Can I install a turbo on my current engine and leave the boost VERY low and not do any damage? I wouldn't lose power would I? Not sure which turbo I want yet but it needs to be big as I'm aiming for 300hp in the long run so would I be able to install it and then start building up the engine/fuel/ignition/exhaust when I can afford it?
Old 05-07-2003, 02:57 PM   #2
Wabster

I don't know anything about cars but i'd have to say you wouldn't lose power when installing a turbo
Old 05-07-2003, 03:09 PM   #3
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

Re: When should I get my turbo?

Quote:
Originally posted by DjBert
Hi I'm definately going to be turboing my b16a2 in the near future but I don't know what order to get the parts in...

I WAS going to get a full 3inch bore exhaust system installled, then get the turbo but set the boost to practically nothing, then start building up the internals and turn up the boost as I go along.

But would using an exhaust like that on my n/a engine give me a sever loss in power? That's the message i seem to be getting at the moment...

Basically my question is: Can I install a turbo on my current engine and leave the boost VERY low and not do any damage? I wouldn't lose power would I? Not sure which turbo I want yet but it needs to be big as I'm aiming for 300hp in the long run so would I be able to install it and then start building up the engine/fuel/ignition/exhaust when I can afford it?

Yes, geting a 3" pipe would hurt your NA in terms of performance, but you would need it for the turbo. I think you would have to leave the turbo around 5 psi for it to function properly, and yes you can eventually turn up the boost as you build the motor, however, pulling the motor apart every time you want to add something is a definate pain.. Do it right the first time.. pull the motor build it up to turbo specs, and on the side, start pieceing together your turbo kit, or purchase one. I think the stock block is built to take around 7-8 PSI TOPS w/ inter cooler.. I'm not sure, but I would not take it over 5-6.

everyone loves the turbizzim.
TeriyakiBroccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 07:12 PM   #4
silver

do it all at the same time. you'll lose velocity from such a big exhaust diameter and as was said it'll be a bizitch to keep ripping your motor apart and putting it back to together. you still haven't done it yet? i remember you talking about this in january, well at least you aren't giving up.
Top Secret, Ings+1, J's Racing, Varis, Amuse, ASM, GP Sports, Air Walker, Garage Defend, Kakimoto, BuddyClub, Feel's, Fujitsubo, Porterfield, KG/MM, ORC, Spoon, Mugen, and more than 200 others. If it's in a Hyper Rev, it's in our reach.

http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 02:45 AM   #5
DjBert

yep I ran into some 'interesting' money problems so I haven't been able to do a single thing to my car except buy a steering wheel, I'm the man

ok, so to start with, uprate the fuel pump, regulator, injectors, fuel rail? (maybe later), then get the turbo and leave block alone for a while (til i can afford it) and set the turbo at 4 or 5 psi? Would you recommend getting the fuel management system (think i'm gonna go with hondata) at the same time as the turbo? And I know a turbo needs a nice free flowing exhaust but I wouldn't do any damage using it with my stock exhaust for a while would I?
Old 05-08-2003, 09:05 AM   #6
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

yup, FMU, Pump, larger injectors (size depending on your goals), a fuel rail isnt necessary unless you intend to have HUGE hp goals. It would be best if you could pick up the hondata at the same time you install your turbo so you can fine tune you car over the dyno. And no, you would not damage your turbo by running the stock exhaust, but you wont be getting your full potential.

Old 05-08-2003, 09:59 AM   #7
DjBert

thanks, that's just the info i needed, now I just need to save up for all the stuff i want

well i'm aiming for 300bhp and I was told I'd want the fuel rail after i got over 230 so i might aswell just get it with the other fuel components and then i don't have to worry about it, not too expensive (the AEM one) anyway.

I think i'm starting to build up a reasonable knowledge of the parts surrounding the turbo but I don't know much about turbos themselves, I keep hearing talk of T3 and T4, what does this all mean? Basically, which turbo should I go for? bearing in mind the power i'm looking for

thanks again
Old 05-08-2003, 10:18 AM   #8
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i would just save and do it all at once. using partially worn parts with new ones will cause the engine to be a bit unbalanced and will cause trouble in the longer run. iknow that happened to me (and my dad) a while ago.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 02:23 PM   #9
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by DjBert
thanks, that's just the info i needed, now I just need to save up for all the stuff i want

well i'm aiming for 300bhp and I was told I'd want the fuel rail after i got over 230 so i might aswell just get it with the other fuel components and then i don't have to worry about it, not too expensive (the AEM one) anyway.

I think i'm starting to build up a reasonable knowledge of the parts surrounding the turbo but I don't know much about turbos themselves, I keep hearing talk of T3 and T4, what does this all mean? Basically, which turbo should I go for? bearing in mind the power i'm looking for

thanks again

well if you're gunning for about 300 hp, that'll put artound 270 to the wheels,.. the T3/T4 Hybrid is basically a T3 compressor wheel in a T4 turbo housing giving it quick spool times with a T4 flow rate.. (t3 is smaller than a t4.)

That kind of power can be achieved with a t3/t4 hybrid combo, however you might be pushing the limits of the turbo to provide the boost needed to obtain those wheel numbers.

Old 05-09-2003, 02:27 AM   #10
DjBert

So would a normal T4 be better suited then? or am I talking crap? I assume the lag would be greater cos of the longer spool up times but there are ways to reduce turbo lag aren't there?

That 300bhp figure is kind of my long term goal, in the medium term i'm looking for anything around 250-260 so would this be achievable with a T4 on reasonably low boost (like 7 or 8 psi?)

thanks again
Old 05-09-2003, 08:53 AM   #11
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

the lag would be extremely great... you should go with the t3/t4 especially if high horsepower is not your immediate goals.

Old 05-09-2003, 05:42 PM   #12
silver

the stock exhaust can actually do a little harm to your turbo due to the increased back pressure, like i said, do it all together.
maybe a td04 turbo?
Top Secret, Ings+1, J's Racing, Varis, Amuse, ASM, GP Sports, Air Walker, Garage Defend, Kakimoto, BuddyClub, Feel's, Fujitsubo, Porterfield, KG/MM, ORC, Spoon, Mugen, and more than 200 others. If it's in a Hyper Rev, it's in our reach.

http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 06:29 PM   #13
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

it shouldnt be that bad though, I was watching a video of a guy who chose to keep his stock exhaust on (no idea) .. what was his name.. frogman videos?

Old 05-12-2003, 02:33 AM   #14
DjBert

what's a td04? what i've been calling a t4?
Old 05-12-2003, 12:11 PM   #15
Dr Drew

First off what condition is your B16 in ??
If the motor is in good condition, you can easily boost that motor in stock form to 10-11lbs AS LONG AS you have proper tuning and everything is mantained well.

I think you should get the turbo kit, ~440cc injectors, 255lph fuel pump, a manual FPR and Hondata all at once. Install everything at once, tow the car to get tuned on a dyno, and your happy boosting.

I'd recommend the T3/T04e turbo in .60 a/r compressor and turbine housings. This turbo is the one that comes in Revhard Stage II kit.
Old 05-12-2003, 05:47 PM   #16
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

hey lookit its dr drew -_-

Old 05-13-2003, 02:44 AM   #17
Dr Drew

Quote:
Originally posted by TeriyakiBroccoli
hey lookit its dr drew -_-

HEY...what's that supposed to mean !!

I know i'm sorry guys, i've been really really crazy lately workin on the Del, workin 6 days a week and tryin to spend time with the Latina...
Old 05-13-2003, 07:57 AM   #18
DjBert

I think the engine is in pretty good condition even though it's just 101,000 miles on the clock, i'm taking it to a rolling road in 2 weeks to see how it's performing and to get a full engine health check done so hopefully they'll advise me on anything that needs seeing too. I was under the impression that I would have to replace some of the internals anyway to get to 300bhp so that would give it some extra life wouldn't it?

thanks again for the info, i was looking at the Revhard stage 2C, but it already comes with a fuel pump etc so would these be ok or should I just get some off the shelf one like AEM to be on the safe side?

so all I need to do now is save up about £3000 and get busy...
Old 05-13-2003, 01:02 PM   #19
Dr Drew

Yes, the Revhard kit does come with a aftermarket pump, however I believe it is only a 190lph. Yes, you should definitly get internals for your motor if you plan to run 300whp. In regards to my post before; I should have been more specific. I was suggesting you get all the stuff you need to boost now. Then, Safely boost for a while till you save up enough for internals and a rebuild. When you break-in your rebuilt motor, it should be done NA.
Old 06-02-2003, 06:50 PM   #20
soundspeed

I've heard that the greddy kit is great package for that motor. It comes with all the parts needed including new injecters. It's a larger turbo, but it is okay if you want to install the turbo first and build the internals later. But i would rather save the money and do it all at once, less headache that way. I would also think about an intercooler, turbo timer and fms. Hope this helps, and good luck.

The Only Replacement For Displacement...Is Technology
soundspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 08:18 PM   #21
thermal
Banning Machine

Drew beat me to it. Find out the condition of your engine first. Most importantly, get a compression check.

Dude, I just got back from Europe, almost every car I saw was turbocharged stock. I drove a Hyundai and Opel Mini Van that were both turbocharged. My point is, if I was living there, I will frequent the yards and start pulling out turbos.

Your other option is to get the REVHARD kit. Those are awesome kit and comes with a T3/T04 turbo as well. It has everything you need. You can always get a BBK or Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump for cheap. If you want a REVHARD kit, my buddy is an authorized dealer/retailer. Let me know......

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 02:37 PM   #22
DjBert

wow, how much do you think i'd be able to get a revhard kit for from over there then? (i was looking at stage 2c - is this the sort of thing i'd need)

short term i'm looking for about 240-250hp, long term maybe more but i'd like to have the option

oh, and i might, just might be getting my civic tuned (after i get the turbo) by the head of the hondata company over there! the sole UK distributor gets a visit from him every 2 months to check on business, so if I can time my trip over to Swindon (where they make all the hondas in the UK), he might tune my newly turboed civic with one of his lovely hondata systems!
Old 06-09-2003, 02:40 PM   #23
DjBert

oh, and I took my car to the rolling road last weekend..

it's got 102,400 miles on the clock and it's making

- 158 bhp @ 7433
- 119 lbs/ft @ 7220

I thought that was quite good for a crappy old engine with no new bits!

oh, and compression is high and equal in all cylinders, he said them motor was fine.

I do want to get pistons, rods, and camshaft though if I take it over 8 or 9 psi, which i can do later

Old 06-09-2003, 06:13 PM   #24
thermal
Banning Machine

That cool man. I was just reading the new Honda tuning and the Head of Hondata was talking about his programs and stuff. That'll be cool if the guy tunes you car. If you need turbo stuff...anything from over here, let me know. I'll refer you to my buddy who owns a shop in California.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote