.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions > For The Geek In You
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2004, 12:46 AM   #1
MissJDM

Limewire, music lost

So, my room mate's friend got on my computer to listen to music, using Limewire. He sees that I share my music and tells me that he's going to make changes so that I don't share, incase of virus attacks or anything "bad happening." I get out of the shower and come back to my computer, to see that he lost ALL of my songs. I can't find them anywhere and neither can he. I've searched and searched and even tried restoring..but I still don't have it not only am I now, I'm . can anyone help meeee?

you say it best when you say nothing at all
MissJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:03 AM   #2
Violent Apathy

Castrating him may make you a little less .....

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Hunter S. Thompson, 1937-2005
Violent Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:16 AM   #3
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Has he tried reversing whatever the hell it was that he did? I don't use Limewire so I don't know exactly how it works, but to erase an entire folder is just bone-headed. I also don't see how using a system restore could NOT bring them back, assuming the restore point was made before the files were deleted. I would try:

Start-->Search-->All Files And Folders

Then just type in a piece of a song name or artist you know you had before and see if anything pops up. If it pops up, just look at where the file lives and go there. Unless this guy is just clueless and had no idea what he was doing in the first place, they have to be on your computer somewhere.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 08:57 AM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i use limewire and i had no problems with the songs.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 09:30 AM   #5
blind34_1

you can buy software to undelete things, assuming you haven't done anything since he deleted it.

You see, when you delete something (not just put it in the recycle bin, but actually delete it) the information is still on your hard drive, until it is overwritten by something else. Its really hard to know when it has been overwritten, but to be safe, its best to just shut it off and do nothing. The more stuff you save, access, etc. the more the chance of a full erasure.

Now, there are programs available that allow you to undelete. I have never used any of these programs since the days of DOS, so no gaurentees. Go to somebody elses computer to download this:

http://www.download.com/PC-Inspector...ml?tag=lst-0-5

burn it to a cd or put it in a usb flash drive (it wont fit on a floppy disk) and install it on your computer (unfortunatly, there is a risk you could lose some of your deleted music by installing this, but short of other options....)

It should be self explanatory from there.

good luck
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 11:59 PM   #6
CD5Passion

I use limewire and to switch shared files is a matter of a few clicks....no idea how he could've lost all of that unless you had some sort of virus or something....either way you should kick him in the nuts
Old 12-03-2004, 11:03 PM   #7
MissJDM

So, I took GT40;s idea and searched it using FILES and FOLDERS, and I found them. I still don't understand why it wouldn't be under MUSIC when I search? Anyway, so I found the folder way the fawk in there and I now have all the songs in a folder on my desktop. I usually listen to these songs with Limewire, now they play on MUSICMATCH. Is there a way to play it on Limewire again? I also had to double click each and every song one by one to Musicmatch so that it plays. I need help.

+
Thanks to everyone who threw ideas out for me Extra thanks to GT40.

Old 12-03-2004, 11:55 PM   #8
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

No problem. That trick always came in handy back before I really knew how to use a computer.

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 12-04-2004, 06:24 PM   #9
MissJDM

^^^
Is that an implication of something?

Either way, seriously, thanks, you rock.

Old 12-04-2004, 06:34 PM   #10
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by MissJDM
^^^
Is that an implication of something?

Either way, seriously, thanks, you rock.

Haha. No, it wasn't...but looking at it I should've worded it better. That's just how I learned the trick...besides, you're not the one who fucked it up in the first place.

Old 12-04-2004, 08:36 PM   #11
drdingo21

You also shouldn't share because of the repercussions from for RIAA.

Currently they are suing the people that are sharing, with the philosophy that if they kill the source, people will stop trading mp3.

As far as your problem, im not familer with lime wire. But if you right click on an mp3 and select open with, then select limewire and click "Always use this program".

Also i wouldn't let people that don't know what they are doing touch your computer anymore.
drdingo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 09:18 PM   #12
MissJDM

Thanks for the tips, I'll try it in a sec. As for the kid that touched my computer, if you read the first post, I was in the shower during this transformation. He's in some business[go to google.com and type in quickstar pipeline] and thinks he is some mastered genius. I should mention this is the kid who told me earlier this Fall that he can build me a new computer.
Anyyyyway! Super big thanks again. :-D

I got my musiiiiiiiiiiiic back!

You all are more than welcome to come visit me at college and kick his arse. =P

Oh, and GT40, I'm shocked that it was you who got twisted in words, you're one of the few on here in which I enjoy reading posts from...[esp the smartass ones]

Old 12-04-2004, 09:53 PM   #13
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by MissJDM
Oh, and GT40, I'm shocked that it was you who got twisted in words, you're one of the few on here in which I enjoy reading posts from...[esp the smartass ones]

Well...I just didn't think of the implication that could be drawn from what I said. And twisted words? Me? NEVER!

And Dingo...I don't know about the RIAA, but the MPAA just slaps your wrist. I've been nailed twice for downloading/sharing movies (on bittorrent dl'ing and sharing are the same thing) and all I really got was a "delete it within 24 hours and don't do it again". Yeah right. Maybe if new movies didn't cost $20+ for bloated advertising and fancy packaging I'd actually buy them. Sometimes greed bites you in the ass.

Old 12-04-2004, 09:54 PM   #14
drdingo21

You didn't say rather or not you gave him permission.
As far as him being a computer genius. I've never met one that deleted/moved files and not know what happened to them

Next time he comes over, kick him in the testicals and when he hits the ground stomp his throat.

That should teach him.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:06 PM   #15
drdingo21

Quote:
Originally posted by GT40FIED
Well...I just didn't think of the implication that could be drawn from what I said. And twisted words? Me? NEVER!

And Dingo...I don't know about the RIAA, but the MPAA just slaps your wrist. I've been nailed twice for downloading/sharing movies (on bittorrent dl'ing and sharing are the same thing) and all I really got was a "delete it within 24 hours and don't do it again". Yeah right. Maybe if new movies didn't cost $20+ for bloated advertising and fancy packaging I'd actually buy them. Sometimes greed bites you in the ass.
How can people not know about the RIAA?! Hell even south park did a pardoy on them.

Quote:
MPAA To Sue, Too: The MPAA (that's the movie association) is going to start suing people, too. They'll apparently start with about two hundred

MPAA has been in the business of issuing warning emails for quite some time (a few of you have told me about receiving them), but now they're going to up the ante, following the same formula as the RIAA.

Speaking of RIAA, they've been methodically suing a few hundred at a time, with the cumulative total well in excess of 5,000.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Nov16.html

http://www.respectcopyrights.org/11-...ss_Release.pdf

The RIAA is settling for about 3k per law suit. They give you an option to settle or go to court. If you go to court, you will get your ass handed to you and probly pay more.

The RIAA was running rampart about suing people because a judge ruled that they have the right to subpoena the ISP to see who is supplying the mp3s.
That has since been appealed and is caught up in court right now. They are still able to retrieve the names but it's a tad harder now.

If i were you i would stop sharing all together.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:07 PM   #16
drdingo21

Another thought, if you have already recived a few e-mails, then you are probly on their radar.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:47 AM   #17
MissJDM

Quote:
Originally posted by drdingo21
You didn't say rather or not you gave him permission.
As far as him being a computer genius. I've never met one that deleted/moved files and not know what happened to them

Next time he comes over, kick him in the testicals and when he hits the ground stomp his throat.

That should teach him.

Well, by not telling him OKAY, I ASSUMED that he wouldn't touch my stuff, you know, RESPECTING others' properties and all. Yeah, you know how people say don't ASSUME thing? True.

As far as him being a computer genius, I said "he thinks." I now know [and have 100%reasoning] it was a good idea that I didn't let him build my computer. I'm super irritated now, a bunch of us just got back from Sharis and his attitude has gotten so bad with this business shit of his..he treats us like we're nothing. You know, the guy that says he'll be a millionare in 6 months with his business and says he has extra money.. yes I don't know why everytime we go out t o eat, he doesn't have money on him..and why he applied for a SECOND job, at the bank, where I work. Odd. jgsdhfjaodhgjhtyerij

Mother humper. I should kick his nuts. Yay? Nay? :o

GT40: I'll now officially follow your posts to find "twisted words"