::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Wheels, Tires, Suspension, and Brakes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2003, 10:17 PM   #1
CyberCivic097

Painting Wheels, the best way?

Well, looks as though my Kosei Senecas are just too dang oldskool looking. They are silver and I hate 'em! Even though my Civic is silver, I want to paint them black and would love to know if anyone out there has a DEFINATIVE way to go about painting them myself. Any step-by-step instructions would be GREATLY appreciated. Then again, I probably could take them to the local paint shop but hey, if I can do it myself... why not? Thanks for your help! CC097
Old 03-13-2003, 10:37 PM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

hmm i would look for a shop to powder coat them. that way they are not getting scratched that easy

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 04:43 PM   #3
blind34_1

I had some cheap chrome rims that I wanted to paint black. I bought 3 or 4 cans of engine enamel, and gave them like seven coats. I went crazy on them, but they lasted the whole summer, and even now they only have a few specks, and one is peeling a LITTLE bit. Pretty good for under ten bucks. (wash the wheels first, and get all dirt /brake dust off. I didnt sand paper any of it, but that mightve helped.

by the way, It looked REALLY good, a few people mistaked them for like real expensive jdm style rims at this show I went to. Give it a shot!
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 12:55 AM   #4
CyberCivic097

Blind---
Thanks for the ideas. So, did you spray a clear coat on them when you were done with the coats of paint? A couple of guys told me that clear coat actually can dull the paint. I also wanted to know if when you washed your car (and wheels) did they dull a little bit? What did you use to clean them? Again, I really appreciate your help! CC097
Old 03-16-2003, 11:40 PM   #5
blind34_1

I didnt use any clearcoat, but I'm thinking I should have, just for added protection. I dont know about dulling, if anything it would make them slightly shinier (?). Now that I think about it, they did dull a little, but they still look 100x better than the chrome. I personally like the flat black look, and not the wet paint look.
For cleaning, I just use soap and water, the same soap I use on the rest of the car. I'm afraid off using my chrome rim cleaner, cause I think it'll be to harsh on the paint. I use paper towels to give it a good cleaning, and then just hose them down.

just make sure that when you spray them, the weather is right. Check the can, but I'm pretty sure the reccomend 70-85 degrees with no more than 65% humidity. Too cold and the paint cracks, to humid the paint does weird crap like stick to itself and refuse to go in one certain area...

also, I just laid one rim at a time in the grass and sprayed it in an even pattern. I didnt worry about paint on the sidewalls on the tires, but I made sure I didnt get any on the treads, you know for traction purposes. paint on the sidewalls makes for permanent tire shine! well sort of...
Old 03-18-2003, 08:04 AM   #6
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

You may want to use some high-temp paint, it may help against peeling..
Old 03-18-2003, 12:34 PM   #7
blind34_1

engine enamel is very high temp. I dont know of anything else you could buy commercially, except maybe caliper paint.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:12 PM   #8
CyberCivic097

Hey guys... thanks a lot for the advice. I think engine enamel would work well too. One thing though... I heard that a sand blaster would be good to use to sand the wheels. Blind... you said something about you didn't really sand your wheels, you just cleaned them really good. A few people I have talked to say I should sand-prime-sand-paint-sand-paint-sand-paint, etc. I really just want them to be a nice dull black color (not shiny) but the main thing is just to have them so they don't chip too bad or peel when I wash them. Decisions, decisions! CC097
Old 03-18-2003, 10:28 PM   #9
blind34_1

thats probably good advice. Really I've just been trial and erroring, and my method worked for me. If you can sand blast your rims then I'd say go for it. From what I've found, the more you can rough up the surface to give the paint something to hold onto, the better. I've heard some people talk on here about some sticky compound that works to hold spray paint to surfaces..called bulldog or something..might want to check that out.

the main thing is to be very patient. In a day, you may only get a few coats done, with sanding in between. You'll have to wait for the paint to get nice and dry before sanding, so you dont sand off what you just did.

good luck, and dont do it on a windy day.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:42 PM   #10
CyberCivic097

Dude... thanks a lot for the help. I think I am going to attempt this over the weekend and just work on it slowly. If it takes a few weeks... that is fine. Like you said, patience is the key.
Later! CC097
Old 03-19-2003, 12:14 AM   #11
ifeldwn02
3rd Gear

good luck dude and have fun with it
ifeldwn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 02:49 PM   #12
blind34_1

good luck man. post some pics when there all finished and on your car.
Old 03-20-2003, 06:56 AM   #13
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Sand-Paint-Sand-Paint is a good idea.. It roughens the surface so that the next coat will stick better, Just remember to wipe the dust and stuff off really good after sanding.
Old 03-20-2003, 05:04 PM   #14
CyberCivic097

Yeah, someone told me that using rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) will clean the surface pretty good. I am debating whether or not to use a clear coat. If I have enough coats of black on the wheel, hopefully I won't have to worry about it. Thanks again to all who have replied to this. You are all a big help to me! CC097
Old 03-21-2003, 12:48 PM   #15
blind34_1

Heres a related but different question:

just buy pure coincidince, I just start doing the same thing to my g/fs rims. I got them at a junkyard, so they are kinda rough. It going to be painting them a flat black, just like I have already done to mine. The problem is there is these crap enamel junk in the center, around the lug hole. It trying to scrap this crap off, but im having a hard time. Does anyone know of any sort of chemical that will basically remove paint but not damage the metal. I dont know what kind of metal the wheel is made out of, I'm guessing aluminum, because its light and easily damaged (the previous owner was an idiot)

for these rims though, I'm going to use a coat of primer first and see how that helps.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:50 PM   #16
CyberCivic097

Hey! The only thing I know of to use would be Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish. It used to come in a small container and the top lid screwed off and the material was a sort of liquid paste that you apply with a small rag or you could use your fingers. It says "polish" but it actually cleans too. I use this stuff on my chrome exhaust all the time and after about 2 or 3 repetitions of putting it on and wiping it off, that darn thing is so clean I can eat a fried egg off of it. It will do the same for wheels because it says it is safe for all metals... worth a try... CC097
Old 03-21-2003, 07:36 PM   #17
blind34_1

sounds like a good product. Mothers stuff is always real good, I check it out. These rims do need a good cleaning. thanks!