::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2003, 05:46 PM   #1
munky185

Camber Help With 95 Civic EX Please!!

I have now become a victim of very premature tire wear and I'm guessing it's because of my camber. About 3/4 of a year ago I installed KYB AGX adjustable struts and an Eibach Pro Kit on my 1995 Civic EX Coupe. I did not perform the periodic checks on my tires that I should've and now the insides of my tires are completely worn down. Just for info I have 17" Enkei RS6 wheels and 205\40\17 tires.

I'm pretty sure my camber is the culprit and that I should've purchased a camber adjustment kit when I purchased my Eibach Pro Kit. I had read that I wouldn't need a camber kit due to the small drop that the pro kit gives my car. Another thing is that I did not have the car aligned after installing the new suspension.

So, if any of you can help me with these questions, I would really appreciate it.

1. When I buy my new tires, will having the car aligned help my camber and protect against premature inner tire wear any? If so, will it be enough that I don't need to buy a camber kit(s)?

3. Will I need the front camber kit AND the rear camber kit, or is only one needed?

4. How hard is the installation of the camber kits? I did the installation of my Eibach Pro Kit and the KYB AGX struts. Is the installation comparable to that or easier/harder??

Thanks for any info!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2003, 05:53 PM   #2
armyguy5
3rd Gear

how many miles did u put on the car? and what type of tires where they?

chris
  • Cold Air Intake, Front Strut Bar, MTX Thunder 6000 10", Gunmetal Altezza Tail Lights, Short Throw Shifter, Factory Side Skirts and Rear lip, JDM front Lip, Thermal R&D stealth exhaust, 16" Rota Slipstreams in Bronze, Alpine CD/MP3/WMA/XM RADIO, Legacy L7M in car video
armyguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 06:00 PM   #3
munky185

Quote:
Originally posted by armyguy5
how many miles did u put on the car? and what type of tires where they?

I don't know exactly but I would estimate I put around 9,000 to 12,000 miles (again, just guessing). The tires are Sumitomo HTRZ II 205/40/17.
Old 01-04-2003, 06:10 PM   #4
armyguy5
3rd Gear

well the only thing you can really do is to go ahead and put a camber kit (F&R) and get it alinged that should make it go away

chris
  • Cold Air Intake, Front Strut Bar, MTX Thunder 6000 10", Gunmetal Altezza Tail Lights, Short Throw Shifter, Factory Side Skirts and Rear lip, JDM front Lip, Thermal R&D stealth exhaust, 16" Rota Slipstreams in Bronze, Alpine CD/MP3/WMA/XM RADIO, Legacy L7M in car video
Old 01-04-2003, 06:15 PM   #5
munky185

Should I get the Eibach Camber Kits since I have an Eibach Pro Kit or are there kits just as good that are cheaper??

I'm also wondering if a toe\alighment adjustment after I get the new tires will fix the problem without the need for a camber kit...
Old 01-04-2003, 06:45 PM   #6
armyguy5
3rd Gear

after u dropped it did u get it aligned?

chris
Old 01-04-2003, 06:50 PM   #7
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

you dont have to match parts you could go w/ skunk, progress, etc. just be sure to do front and rears
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 06:52 PM   #8
munky185

Quote:
Originally posted by armyguy5
after u dropped it did u get it aligned?

chris

No.

I know, I know. I should've had it aligned but I learned the hard way unfortunately.
Old 01-04-2003, 11:15 PM   #9
munky185

About the installation of the camber kits........can anyone tell me how difficult this installation is or supply a link with an installation guide? Any info would be great.

Thanks
Old 01-04-2003, 11:31 PM   #10
pdiggitydogg

if i remember right its pretty easy...i read a link on it like yesterday...Ill post a link as soon as I find it...hold tight
Old 01-04-2003, 11:35 PM   #11
pdiggitydogg

got it...its 88 crx but it sould be the same...someone correct me if im wrong...http://www.deepstaged.net/ingalls_ca...it_install.htm

custom 99 install rears-http://www.geocities.com/alfredhchow/
Old 01-05-2003, 12:14 PM   #12
munky185

Thanks for that link pdiggitydogg
Old 01-05-2003, 03:36 PM   #13
munky185

At lightningmotorsports I've found a Progress Camber Kit (both front and rear) for $170. They are Pivot Mount 1.75 / Shim 1.75.

Also at groupbuycenter I've found Ingalls Camber Kits for both the front and rear. The front kit adjusts from +1.25 to +3 degrees and is $130. The rear kit is only $19 and adjusts from +1/4 to +3/4 of a degree.

And finally, I've found Eibach camber kits at coximport. The front kit costs $128 and adjusts from 0 to +1.25 degrees. The rear Eibach kit costs $60 and adjusts from -.75 to +.75 degrees.

Totaling.......

Progress $170
Ingalls $149
Eibach $188

I'm trying to make the best buying decision here, so I need some info on which kit to buy. Again, my suspension setup is KYB AGX (adjustable) with an Eibach Pro Kit. If any of you have experience with this, I'd be grateful if you could pass some info my way.

Thanks
Old 01-05-2003, 04:01 PM   #14
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

If your drop is under 2", alignment places are able to adjust your camber using whatever methods that are already available on your car. Anything past 2" (not always, but thats a good rule of thumb) would require you to get a camber kit. I dropped my car about 1.75 inches, and they were able to get my camber and toe back into specs in about 20 minz.

everyone loves the turbizzim.
TeriyakiBroccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 04:29 PM   #15
munky185

Quote:
Originally posted by TeriyakiBroccoli
If your drop is under 2", alignment places are able to adjust your camber using whatever methods that are already available on your car. Anything past 2" (not always, but thats a good rule of thumb) would require you to get a camber kit. I dropped my car about 1.75 inches, and they were able to get my camber and toe back into specs in about 20 minz.

Oh man I hope they can do that to mine. Mine drop is definitely under 2" so I'll take a trip to my local shops tomorrow and see what can be done about the situation.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:11 PM   #16
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

Place I took it to was kinda expensive, 60 bux.

Old 01-05-2003, 06:05 PM   #17
munky185

Quote:
Place I took it to was kinda expensive, 60 bux.

60 bucks is sounding great to me compared to the 200 I was getting ready to fork over for front\rear camber kits. Hopefully they'll be able to adjust it without the kits. I had read earlier though somewhere on the internet that camber wasn't adjustable on civics.
Old 01-05-2003, 06:57 PM   #18
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well wahtever kit you get don't get one that has the excentric ball joint. it will mess up your caster really bad causing a lot of feedback to the steering wheel from the road. also adjusting the caster with those kits will mess up the wheel base. the best thing is the anchor bolts, but you might need to modify the inner fender. anyway i think your tires worn out from too much open toe

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 07:01 PM   #19
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

I had to drive to LA after I put on my coilovers (the day after really.) MY car pulled hard to the right when I went over 55, and the drive took me about 2 hrs to complete each way. Ohohoh, my ride is sooooooo rough I hate it.

Old 01-05-2003, 07:04 PM   #20
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
I had to drive to LA after I put on my coilovers (the day after really.) MY car pulled hard to the right when I went over 55, and the drive took me about 2 hrs to complete each way. Ohohoh, my ride is sooooooo rough I hate it.

what suspension setup are u running ?

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 07:36 AM   #21
FletchQ

Quote:
Originally posted by munky185

Also at groupbuycenter I've found Ingalls Camber Kits for both the front and rear. The front kit adjusts from +1.25 to +3 degrees and is $130. The rear kit is only $19 and adjusts from +1/4 to +3/4 of a degree.

I just bought the ingalls kit for my 2000 Si, it is wonderful, and actually the front kit adjusts +/- 4, which is more than you will ever need. If you are going to buy the rear kit that is only $19, save your time and money, all it is, is some bolts and washers that you can buy at any automotive store. Ingalls does actually make a rear adjustable arm. I went ahead and bought that. Love the ride, it makes a difference.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:39 AM   #22
FletchQ

Quote:
Originally posted by munky185
I had read earlier though somewhere on the internet that camber wasn't adjustable on civics.

Yea, the local bozo at Tire Station said that there were no peices that I could buy to install to adjust my camber. He said the only way to adjust the camber of a 96 - 00 civic was to cut the frame I wish he had a camera, cause I am sure the look on my face when I told him to go to hell was priceless
Old 01-06-2003, 11:35 AM   #23
munky185

Well I just got back from my local shop and the camber is about -1.5 degrees on the front and on the rear one side is -1.35 and the other side is -2.00 degrees. Looks I have camber kits to buy.

They also told me my toe in was way off on the front and back too. They can fix the front, but they said the rear toe in was not adjustable and that I'd need a kit for that also. Is this true!!???
Old 01-06-2003, 12:23 PM   #24
FletchQ

I don't know about the tow, they adjusted the tow in both the front and the back in my civic, but I am not sure if there is a difference in the 95 model as compared to the 96 - 00 models
Old 01-06-2003, 12:52 PM   #25
munky185

I'm looking at my 1995 Civic Helms manual right now and it's got instructions for adjusting front AND rear toe.......hmmm........time to go to a new shop I think.

Oh, and FletchQ, I've decided to go with Ingalls front and rear camber kits from groupbuycenter.com. You said you have the Ingalls kits also. Prices are $130 for the front (+1.25 to +3 degrees) and $105 for the rear (-2 to +3 degrees). I couldn't get the cheap $19 rear kit because I need more adjustment than it allows. Did you do the installation of the camber kits yourself??
Old 01-06-2003, 12:58 PM   #26
FletchQ

No, I didn't do the installation myself, I already paid someone a year ago to do them. But if you have a Helms, then I would go ahead and do it yourself, it shouldn't be that hard to do especially if you installed the struts and springs yourself, it should be easier to do than that.
Old 01-06-2003, 01:08 PM   #27
munky185

Oh ok. Do you remember if the Ingalls had any installation instructions with the kits or not??
Old 01-06-2003, 01:17 PM   #28
FletchQ

Yea, it came with a little sheet in mine just showing you were everything goes
Old 01-06-2003, 01:21 PM   #29
munky185

Better than nothing I guess. Thanks for the info man
Old 01-06-2003, 06:28 PM   #30
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
what suspension setup are u running ?

A fun stock struts w/ dropzone coils. I posted a How to in the .. "how to" forum on installation.

I love it. When I want to fly out of my seat, I just gun it on a hump in the road.

Thank god I'll be getting a set of tokico blues soon.

And yea, the rear toe is adjustable too.