::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Interior Modifications
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2002, 08:14 PM   #1
CombatKit47

vinyl painting?

ok ive seen the cars with the sweet insides painted but what exactly do you do to get that? do you by an new kind of dash and center consol and crap or do you just paint over the original inside? soory for such a stupid question im not worthy
Old 06-13-2002, 01:36 PM   #2
ShEaNy

Vynal paint...usually
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 11:15 PM   #3
azn_nite_ryder

majority of the show cars do not use vinyl paint.. they use a dye.... a lot more durable and a more even finish... you can buy it at any store that sells vinyl accessories...
Old 06-14-2002, 12:54 AM   #4
myself_included

I would go with vinyl spray if I were you, it's much more easy to use for beginners. You can get vinyl spray at almost any store, I get it at k-mart. The stuff that I use is Dupli-Color vinyl spray. It works really well.
Here's a quick how-to for you:

Painting various parts of your car is a simple way to add style without spending a lot of money. You can paint virtually anything in your car that you want. You can use just about any kind of spray paint, but try to find the kind made by SEM. It's the stuff used by most professional upholstery shops and is the best stuff you can buy for this type of application. On any non-metal surfaces do NOT use engine paint or other metal paints. It will eat up your plastic pieces, and also doesn't stick to them as well(I learned this one from experience).

To start, find some paint in the color of your choice. I would recommend using something not too glossy because it repels dust better, and will match the factory look better. Clean off all your pieces with hot soapy water and rinse them. If there are any large scratches, fill them with body filler or primer or something before you paint them. Once everything looks okay, set your pieces out and apply thin, even coats of paint about 10 minutes apart. Continue doing this until you have the surface sufficiently coated with paint(3-4 coats should do fine). After you are finished, allow the pieces 24 hours to dry before putting them back on your car. You can put them back on sooner, but 24 hours is a good idea so the paint will be fully cured. Once the paint has dried completely, buff the pieces out with a soft cloth to remove any excess material. Put the pieces into your car, and apply something like Finish 2001 to the pieces. This makes them a little more glossy, and matches the rest of your car better. Do NOT use Armor All because it will eat your paint.
Old 06-26-2002, 02:33 PM   #5
Whtehnda93DXSdn
It has 4 Doors...

well it depends on what you might want to do and the look yoiu want to achieve and $......

Alot of peopel do use the vinyl paint/paint on there pieces. You just need to prep everything really good to ensure that the paint will stick. I use the Bulldog adheisive stuff that helps the paint bond/stick the almost any surface.. I got that from Pepboys.

Other option would be to get some Dye to take care of your coloring needs but not sure where to get it readily and how much prepping is involved w/ putting it on.

Another option would be to just have the entire interior wrapped in vinyl..that method can be expensive but look really good in the end.
Over all it really depends on the amount of time and $ you want to spend on it and if you want to do it yourself or have someoenelse do it for you. I wish you luck in whatever method you choose and be sure to post up and share pics when you are done....