User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2005, 04:15 PM   #1
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

Movie Review 3: FFVII Advent Children

100x better than "'Final Fantasy' Spirits Within"
I obtained a japanese language copy of the film through a friend - divx based. It requires a translation/Subtitle program add-in, which works through Win Media player only.

The quality of the character movment in this film is beyond anything Ive seen in CG animation. The characters move exactly like real people (besides the superpower speed and stuff that comes from the genre...) Voices of the characters in Japanese are just how I thought they should be...I wouldnt expect this to be the same in the US...

Storywise, it extends FFVII, just like they said it would. Some of the new characters I didnt care for, but what do you want out of a sequal thats only roughly 90mins, where the original game was over 10hrs of story? - You never seem to care for the new characters either.
There are several twists to the VII story that are unexpected and some things that make you say "Huh? What the hell? Thats silly..."

Music was great - mostly remixes of the OG soundtrack, with a few new things thrown in for good measure.
Sound effects were also top notch - nothing sounds out of place or of poor quality.

Not once did it feel like I was watching a movie based off an rpg thats getting up in yrs (other than character-wise). There were no random battles that werent explained, no endless item searching, no leveling up, nothing crazy like that.
The story is simple, moves from A to B to C and thats about it...you can be as smart as a piece of fruit and get whats going on; though having a mild knowledge of FFVII original storyline would help. (But lets face it, if you didnt play that and love it, why would you even bother watching a movie based as its sequal?)

If you liked FFVII, you have to see this. There were parts that I, a devoted FFVII fan didnt like, but still liked it a lot anyway.
If you didnt like FFVII, I guess you wouldnt like it nearly as much, but maybe you should see it for the CG quality.
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 04:20 PM   #2
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

If it was Divx I'm assuming you used VOB sub. I never was one for the Final Fantasy stuff.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 05:01 PM   #3
CD5Passion

i wanna see it i remember seeing the preview for it...liek 3 years ago
Old 09-16-2005, 05:26 PM   #4
pdiggitydogg

Quote:
Originally posted by GT40FIED
If it was Divx I'm assuming you used VOB sub.

Yep, thats it
Old 09-17-2005, 09:58 AM   #5
Mischief

I've been hearing good things about it so I'm watchig it now.. Opening sequence FTW RED 13 or whatever number he was WOOOO haha k I'm done.

http://mensalmanac.com
Mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 11:48 AM   #6
thermal
Banning Machine

I gotta get the new divx codec. I can play it using VLC media but the subtitle will not come up.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 11:53 AM   #7
Mischief

Just get a version that already has subtitles... and btw that movie has extreeeeeeeeeeeeme ass kickery.. woot cloud

Old 09-17-2005, 12:16 PM   #8
thermal
Banning Machine

which one has the subtitled version? I went here:
http://aam-bt.dyns.cx:6969/

Did I miss anything?

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 09-17-2005, 12:19 PM   #9
thermal
Banning Machine

BTW:

Pat, have you seen the Live Action Initial_D yet?

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 09-17-2005, 03:08 PM   #10
pdiggitydogg

No, I have a link to the torrent file, but havent dl'd it yet...a little afraid to.
A loooong time ago I watched a live action movie of Dragonball...kinda put me off the whole anime->live thing.

But, I have seen acts 17, 18 of stg4
Old 09-17-2005, 04:54 PM   #11
Mischief

http://www.torrentspy.com/search.asp...final+fantasy+

Try that one out Thermal.

Old 09-21-2005, 06:11 PM   #12
thermal
Banning Machine

Thanks Mischief!

Pat, I see what you mean. I have 17 and 18 as well. Kick ass series. I'll let you decide what you think about the Live version. I'll keep my comment to myself.... lol

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 09-24-2005, 03:26 AM   #13
dabouncerx24

The live action Initial D movie (which thank god I don't have to read lame subtitles ) is mediocre. The car action is of course hot, with real drivers doing the drifting for most of the scenes, but the story is just lame. Trying to combine tidbits of all series stages and the stage 3 movie is just way too much for those two hours of film. Also, this is the main character's first movie (his name is Jay Chou..also the most popular male singer in Asia right now)...so its pretty obvious why his acting seems kinda .

As for FFAC, totally agree with you p-dogg. The over-worked battle scenes is a drawback, but the overall animation quality is beautiful. Look at the wolf roaming the plains and you can actually see its fur move in a smooth motion.

Music is always great for any FF.

As for story, having prior knowledge from playing the game is actually a drawback. As some of the things presented in the movie conflicts with what the game explained to us.
dabouncerx24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 01:23 AM   #14
thermal
Banning Machine

Thanks to Mischief, I was able to DL the subtitled version.

Ok, I have to drop my 2 Lincoln on this subject. I must say... it was a bad ass mutha'truckin' movie! Awesome graphics and simple story line with some ass kickin fight scenes. It's one of those things that I would definitely save in an external drive or separate disc and watch it over again with my grandkids....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 09-28-2005, 01:44 PM   #15
Mischief

Quote:
Originally posted by thermal
Thanks to Mischief, I was able to DL the subtitled version.

Ok, I have to drop my 2 Lincoln on this subject. I must say... it was a bad ass mutha'truckin' movie! Awesome graphics and simple story line with some ass kickin fight scenes. It's one of those things that I would definitely save in an external drive or separate disc and watch it over again with my grandkids....
Glad I could help you out broly