::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Wheels, Tires, Suspension, and Brakes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2002, 05:30 PM   #1
PhatMatt

chewin through cv's

I have a 89 Civic SiR, lowered about 2.5 inches and I am getting through cv's about every 3 months. The 3 little bearings that roll up and down inside the cv just simply fall apart, the rollers just come out of the bearing. Anyone have any idea why?
Old 01-20-2002, 05:40 PM   #2
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Re: chewin through cv's

Quote:
Originally posted by PhatMatt
I have a 89 Civic SiR, lowered about 2.5 inches and I am getting through cv's about every 3 months. The 3 little bearings that roll up and down inside the cv just simply fall apart, the rollers just come out of the bearing. Anyone have any idea why?

Do you drive the car really hard or something??? Thats crazy, even being as low as you are I couldnt imagine it doing that, that fast..
Old 01-21-2002, 02:20 AM   #3
PhatMatt

I do drive it pretty hard, but not hard enough for it to do that, thats why I wanna know what it could be. Its not cheap to have to keep replacing it either as I have to buy a whole cv rather than just the part cause they dont sell it by itself. Does this happen to anyone else?
Old 01-21-2002, 02:14 PM   #4
DemonicAccord

My guess is bad CVs. Most folks I know with Hondas or Acuras never have to worry about CV replacement until well after 130,000, and every three months is nothing short of rediculous...

a few questions come to mind..

-are you getting flat spots on the bearings, or are the bearings actually coming off the XXXXX (I dunno what to call the little stalks they sit on)?
-are the CVs all coming from the same supplier?
-are they being installed by the same person?

if those last two are yesses then you may have part of the problem figured out. Have you tried a premium brand? or NEW CVs. I assume you are getting rebuilds, which in all honesty should be JUST as good, but anything is possible.

the only other thing I could think of would be if the angle from the tranny to the wheel is too extreme, but at 2.5" I just don't see that being likely either...

Old 01-21-2002, 06:16 PM   #5
90civiclxryder

i recently has to replace on cv because the boot got torn, it aint cheap
Old 01-21-2002, 09:59 PM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well if you lowered the car too much isn't the cv hitting the fork ? also a lowered car will require a shorter axle so the cv's might be pressing ont othe other thing (no clue what it is called). How do you treat your car during cornering ? highspeed cornering will mnake you go thru cv like thru cheese (you know what i mean)

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 12:33 AM   #7
PhatMatt

I found what the problem was, the axle needs to be shortened as it is hitting whatever it slides into which was also causing a nasty vibration that has been pissin me off ever since I lowered it. My old man does engineering as a hobby and is gonna shorten my axls this weekend, thanks guys.
Old 01-22-2002, 08:42 AM   #8
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
I found what the problem was, the axle needs to be shortened as it is hitting whatever it slides into which was also causing a nasty vibration that has been pissin me off ever since I lowered it. My old man does engineering as a hobby and is gonna shorten my axls this weekend, thanks guys.

good deal man glad you figured out what it was.. Let us know how it is after you get it fixed..
Old 01-22-2002, 11:37 AM   #9
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:

did i get it right or what ? yahoooooooooooooo ! yep yep yep

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 02:33 AM   #10
Dezoris

Shorter axle? Which one? Left or right?
Are you sure your half shafts were pressed into the trans properly?
Old 02-12-2002, 11:44 PM   #11
Whtehnda93DXSdn
It has 4 Doors...

well 9 tmes out of 10 you normally replace the whole axle when the boot rips as no mechanics replace boots anymore...

it's just the whole thing is alot easier to replace...

i have to do the ame as my boot ripped....it sucks..110,000 on my ride...1.5 Power baby...