Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Supercharger
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2001, 01:26 AM   #1
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

I have to ask...

Is there anyone on this site that has a Supercharger yet? I havent seen any...
Old 09-16-2001, 06:22 AM   #2
Boosted3g

Everyone probably is stating to realilize that they are peices of crap. Trust me I wasted my time and money on one and after I felt turbo power I will have not a good thing to say about them. Now that shold get a few responses in the supercharger forum.
Old 09-16-2001, 01:48 PM   #3
VN-Tec

www.theoldone.com He modifies Jackson racing SC Which are pieces of crap and modifies them for over 30psi of boost efficently too..
Old 09-16-2001, 03:53 PM   #4
Boosted3g

That old man does not convince me. Im sure if his shit was so great you would see it on a drag strip near you. He has been doing reports on this so called "magic" supercharger for 7 years or so and I have yet to hear anthing positive from it other than the fact that he says it has 400 horsepower. The real truth is dont believe anything until you have seen it with you own eyes. Its as bad as everyone saying they have a 12 second car and never have taken it to the track. Im not arguing the fact that he is an idiot because he is not. He is very knowledgable but his supercharger is not nor will it ever be released. Why do you think that there is always a controvery that follows this dude around.
Old 09-21-2001, 01:07 AM   #5
MrCLoWnY

my friend has a CIVIC SI with jackson racing supercharger. It s pulled pretty hard but it don't compare with a turbo. SUPERCHARGERS don't whoosh or spool or nothin. NO GOOD. TURBO IS the way to go. OR NOS.
Old 09-22-2001, 12:32 PM   #6
hypa

i hate knocking on a mod for my first post but Boosted3g had you ever thought that not everyone wants 400 whp? Especially the way you spewed your opinion about s/c's being crap, etc.

My jrsc'd GSR pulled 200 whp with a 150 lb torque line so flat, I thought I was looking at Calista Flockharts chest! It's an awesome method of forced induction for those who are looking for instant power from 2000-8000 rpm. For the record, the car pulls faster than my WRX, and that was proven at the track. And the sound of the s/c is rivalled only by the sound of a mean T03 and bov.

I love my supercharger. It has performance that is similar to a built NA motor. I do a appreciate a B18B with 12 psi and hope to have one in a strict race civic, but for daily driving the s/c wins hands down.
Old 09-22-2001, 02:00 PM   #7
hondafetish

I have to agree with Hypa on this. For those who want forced induction and the power advantages assosciated with FI, superchargers are the easiest route to go.

Of course you can get more power from a turbo. There's no disputing that. Turn up the boost, or add an intercooler and you're set. But for those who just want more from their daily driver and don't want to have to constantly monitor the air/fuel ratio, or detonation problems, an s/c is a viable alternative.

Before anybody asks, no I don't have one. Yet. But I have read up on this extensively and this is the conclusion that I have arrived at. For ease of maintenance and peace of mind, an s/c is the route that I am going to take. I am looking at a Vortech kit that puts out an extra 115hp for my ride. And for those who continue to say they are crap, Vortech was awarded numerous
"Best Engineered New Product" awards at SEMA.

Of course, everybody is entitled to their own opinion. This is only mine.
Old 09-22-2001, 06:46 PM   #8
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by MrCLoWnY
my friend has a CIVIC SI with jackson racing supercharger. It s pulled pretty hard but it don't compare with a turbo. SUPERCHARGERS don't whoosh or spool or nothin. NO GOOD. TURBO IS the way to go. OR NOS.

Wonder if Endyne is EVER going to come out with that SUPER DOUPER SUPERCHARGER. I mean seriously. I appreciate that they want to do some research and testing on their own cars but come on. If its so damn good just release it...... Not that I'll buy one.....
Old 09-22-2001, 06:51 PM   #9
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by hypa
My jrsc'd GSR pulled 200 whp with a 150 lb torque line so flat, I thought I was looking at Calista Flockharts chest! It's an awesome method of forced induction for those who are looking for instant power from 2000-8000 rpm. For the record, the car pulls faster than my WRX, and that was proven at the track. And the sound of the s/c is rivalled only by the sound of a mean T03 and bov.

You have to take into account that your WRX is AWD. That steals some of the power. I'm sure if you took your GSR and WRX to a rally that you'd see a different side.

How's the WRX workin out for you? Any complaints other than the one above?
Old 09-23-2001, 07:54 AM   #10
Boosted3g

Quote:
i hate knocking on a mod for my first post but Boosted3g had you ever thought that not everyone wants 400 whp? Especially the way you spewed your opinion about s/c's being crap, etc.

In my opinion if you are going to purchase a supercharger or any forced induction system for that matter you are probably looking for some sort of performance. I am simply suggesting that the bang for the buck is far greater with a turbo. I am not condoning the use of superchargers its just that nearly half of the people I talk to are not satisfied with their JRSC and the only reason they buy them is to pass smog and dont really research the big picture. I point this out so people dont waste their money like I did. If you are happy with 200 or so horsepower then more power to you. I wish I had that kind of will power to stop at that.
Old 09-26-2001, 11:29 AM   #11
2fcknfst

Both superchargers and turbos have benefits and disadvantages.

For instance, a guy (or gurl)who autocrosses and is in need of some extra power would benefit from the on demand power of a supercharger, rather than waiting on a turbo. They may also want nice, smooth power delivery over the entire powerband, rather than a huge spike.

If, on the other hand, you want serious top end power, you like to drag race, or run really hard on the open road, then go turbo.

The biggest problem with the JRSC is the fact that the kit MUST be sorted to every application. It really is not a true bolt on endeavour like most people are led to believe. On the other hand, once it is sorted, it is an extremely reliable source for extra power, want trash on your motor and can be built up to deliver a solid 10psi, with very little thermal losses.

I have a completely built B18C15R motor, high compression, big cams, the works. Without any cam tuning, my car put down 189 whp. I am looking at introducing a supercharger into the works to try and give me some more bottom end.

Now, in order to do this, I will be spending a great deal of time with some sort of after market stand alone computer in order to get the spark and fuel resolution I will need so that I do not blow up my motor.

Anything is possible; you just have to be willing to spend the time to make it work properly.
Old 09-27-2001, 12:07 AM   #12
GS-Racer01

Quote:
Both superchargers and turbos have benefits and disadvantages.

For instance, a guy (or gurl)who autocrosses and is in need of some extra power would benefit from the on demand power of a supercharger, rather than waiting on a turbo. They may also want nice, smooth power delivery over the entire powerband, rather than a huge spike.

If, on the other hand, you want serious top end power, you like to drag race, or run really hard on the open road, then go turbo.

I agree with this

Also IMO I think that the need for MORE power is what converts alot of SC people to turbo, not that the SC is a POS...
Old 09-27-2001, 10:55 AM   #13
Boosted3g

Eveyone has very valid points but as I said in the first post I was just trying to get some responces in the supercharger forum because nobody seems to want to post. That was all nothing more. Relax guys you are way to serious with this.
Old 09-27-2001, 11:51 AM   #14
GS-Racer01

Its cool I think we all new Boosted3G was just trying to get a little action started in here...
Old 09-27-2001, 02:18 PM   #15
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

I saw in SCC that the WRX only put 140 HP to the Wheels... Is this correct??? If so thats rediculous... Its supposed to have like 220hp (to the flywheel I guess) but thats why to much of a loss to the wheels.
Old 09-27-2001, 04:23 PM   #16
GS-Racer01

that is correct... there is alot of lost power in an AWD driveline assymbly... In that same SCC if it is the October issue go to page 16 and read the techno babble it explains alot abou dyno's and AWD cars.. But hey the car still runs an awesome 14.3 stock so you cant really complain..
Old 09-27-2001, 07:41 PM   #17
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice
I saw in SCC that the WRX only put 140 HP to the Wheels... Is this correct??? If so thats rediculous... Its supposed to have like 220hp (to the flywheel I guess) but thats why to much of a loss to the wheels.

The AWD takes away most of that power....
Old 10-01-2001, 09:08 AM   #18
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by GS-Racer01
that is correct... there is alot of lost power in an AWD driveline assymbly... In that same SCC if it is the October issue go to page 16 and read the techno babble it explains alot abou dyno's and AWD cars.. But hey the car still runs an awesome 14.3 stock so you cant really complain..

I know that AWD takes a lot of power.. 80 seems a little much.. Id still like to have one though..
Old 10-01-2001, 05:03 PM   #19
hypa

I don't have a lot of faith in the dyno that SCC used for the WRX test. Especially since Super Street pulled 170??? or so whp with a factory WRX. They used an accelerometer to guage whp. I would love to see a WRX on a true AWD roller dyno.

Civic_Addict, I love the WRX, it's just not my race car. Bloody comfortable though, especially when I school poorly driven mustangs with a wagon, and seatwarmers!
Old 10-01-2001, 05:24 PM   #20
hypa

Quote:
Originally posted by Boosted3g
In my opinion if you are going to purchase a supercharger or any forced induction system for that matter you are probably looking for some sort of performance.
I have a torque curve flatter than Ohio. It starts at 2500 rpm and goes all the way through to 8000. I've also seen dyno plots of turbo vehicles and love how the power doesn't kick in until high rpm. I have no problem laying the power to the ground and pulled a 14.1 @ 98 mph on my first run. Call me crazy but that sounds like a good level of performance to me. Especially out of an inline, small displacement 4.

Quote:
I am simply suggesting that the bang for the buck is far greater with a turbo. I am not condoning the use of superchargers its just that nearly half of the people I talk to are not satisfied with their JRSC and the only reason they buy them is to pass smog and dont really research the big picture. i point this out so people dont waste their money like I did. If you are happy with 200 or so horsepower then more power to you. I wish I had that kind of will power to stop at that.

It's too bad that you wasted your money. Obviously you were looking for more than just great streetability, good throttle response, and gobs of low end power. I wanted something that would help me become more competitive on the road courses, and autoX weekends. Drag racing tests the car, but not so much the driver, and anyone who has ever autoX'd or road raced will probably agree with me.

And as for increasing the power, just wait because I'm not done yet. Soon enough Hondata will be powering my system, along with a large collector header, big bore exhaust, maybe a pair of custom s/c grind cams, and a big bore tb with CAI. I should be laying down 250 whp. Increasing the boost is the easy way to increase power. I'll get there, I just have other things to do first