User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2002, 08:00 AM   #1
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Tinting the tail lights?

Any ideas on where to start?
I found this stuff called VHT Nite-Shades. From what I can tell you just spray it on in light coats and it goes on translucent.
Does this stuff stay on? I don't want the stuff to flake off. This just seems way too easy. I also so alot of driving so if its not durable.....

I like my red & white tails but I just want them a bit darker so they blend in with my car better.
Old 06-04-2002, 08:24 AM   #2
4jacks

yea... that's just spray tint dude,

Are you going open it up and spray on the inside or are you just planning on spraying the outside... cuase i don't think that would last.

Happy Honda'ing
4jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 08:58 AM   #3
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

I dread opening up the lights. I wasn't thinking it would hold up real well on the outside though either. I read soem reviews and people seem to like it.

Do they sell "pre-tinted" tail lights?
Old 06-04-2002, 09:22 AM   #4
PrimeredPony

I met a guy with a mustang that had sprayed something inside. It made it looked smoked on the outside, but he said they lit up red still. That may be the same stuff. If that stuff you're looking at is the same VHT company like what is used on tracks, I would think it would be a quality product.
I've also seen another mustang that had put window tint on his. I wouldn't think it would look good but this car looked clean and it looked like it went on good.
Old 06-05-2002, 12:18 PM   #5
slowEJ6

you can use tint, actual tint from pep boys or somethin.....i think thatd look best if you choose to go with putting stuff on the outside, otherwise spray tint on the inside will look the best.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 12:43 PM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well if you spray it in the inside, you will see the red lens, but if you do it on the ouside it will get rid of the red in the tailight. summit and jcw sell that stuff for few bucks a can.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 07:06 PM   #7
97accordlx

i know ppl that use nite shades to tint lights. what you need to do is spray the outside, but make sure that you keep count of how many coats you do so that you can keep them the same.
once that has dried you should get clear coat in a spray can from your local auto parts store
Old 06-08-2002, 09:14 AM   #8
slowEJ6

ahhh painting the whole thing, i see. use real tint...nuff said.
the spray stuff looks very dull from what ive seen, and at least the tint comes off easier if ya dont like it after a while.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 03:55 PM   #9
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by 97accordlx
i know ppl that use nite shades to tint lights. what you need to do is spray the outside, but make sure that you keep count of how many coats you do so that you can keep them the same.
once that has dried you should get clear coat in a spray can from your local auto parts store

And has it held up pretty good?
Old 06-08-2002, 04:18 PM   #10
FeelMyRide

I've seen both the paint and actually tint done and they both look the same when they are not lit up. However when the are lit up the sprayed lights look totally nasty! Its hard to explain but its just makes the lights look dim. They tint makes the lights look dark and that looks good. Go with the tints!!!!
Old 06-10-2002, 08:48 PM   #11
gee

is this what i've been seeing?

In my neighborhood i've been seeing a few cars with completely black tail lights. It doesnt look like its been just sprayed or tinted. its completely black. so im wondering... is this just an intense case of tinting? or is it really a black taillight cover? can light still come through well?