::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2003, 07:46 PM   #1
MasterVTEC03'SI

Going to the track (dragg)

I want to know what rpm is good to launch at and should i power shift? (keep foot on gas while just pushing clutch to shift never letting off gas pedal) and i want to know should i shift at redline or should i pass and shit at 8000 rpm?

I have a 03' Si and want to see if i could break 16's

I had a 1995 EX coupe and i got 16.004, with only short ram intake, I'm going to be pissed if i cant get at leaste high 15's especiall i have dohc and a 2.0 liter with the new IVTEC
Old 06-28-2003, 09:08 PM   #2
sohc_vtec 2NR

i say "shit at 8000 rpm"!!! LOL
Old 06-28-2003, 10:16 PM   #3
SeoulJaGirl

i concur
Old 06-29-2003, 04:03 AM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

just feel the car. all cars are different

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 11:33 AM   #5
nonovurbizniz

you just have to try different things...

it may "feel" slower riding out the gear while it's LOOSING power up top but it may drop you into a better rpm range for the next gear there by making the 1/4 time faster...

Just make a BUNCH of runs and try different ways...

I would'nt recomend power shifting EVER... it's TOTALLY pointless.. you can get on the gas a little early to get the revs to match better... but power shifting won't do anything but beat on your tranny/driveline and if the power is there make you loose traction.
Old 06-29-2003, 12:48 PM   #6
MasterVTEC03'SI

thanks for all the good replies, i'll post timeslips when i get them, oh 1 more question, how many miles should i go before really testing my car out? 500, 800, or 1000? or even more? let me know, i want to let vtec kick in already im so anctious and on free ways am i supposed to not go over 80mph or 65? i dont know every one hass diff answers, one of them said you dont have to break them in kuzz its new car! is that true? (im still not going to punch it yet untill 1000)
Old 06-29-2003, 10:39 PM   #7
pimpinprelude

its 65 for the first 500... (but doing it once wont hirt anything)...
pimpinprelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 11:08 PM   #8
MasterVTEC03'SI

i've been going 70-75 since i bought it, should i start going 65 now for the rest of the 500? im at like 250 right now or should i just keep going 70-75 kuzz i messed up already?
Old 06-30-2003, 12:47 AM   #9
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

the whole thing is not to floor it for the first 1-15k miles, so you will allow the time for the piston rings to properly seat.

Old 06-30-2003, 01:11 AM   #10
AzCivic

the whole "baby it" break in might just be BS, check this out and come up with your own conclusion:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 07:53 AM   #11
nonovurbizniz

^ he's right....

that article makes a LOT of sense... however...

NOONE gets a car with no miles on it... period... I got mine new with 116... I've seen MUCH worse than that but at the very least the first 20 mi. are GONE.. which leaves his method as nothing but a good way to toast your engine...

Unless you're having a motor built for you and installing it yourself... this process will NEVER happen...

I'd stick to whatever the manufacturer recomends... they have spent a LOT more time on engine's then that guy could ever... and they also get WAY WAY more complaints/returns if what they say doesn't fly.

That guy is pretty autonomous... he's got NO responsibility to provide accurate or correct info... Not saying he's bs'ing but I AM saying that if you F up your motor because of what he said there's no recourse... if you follow the book and it F's up then it's the dealers' problem NOT yours.

As I said I got my car with 116 miles on it... I went through the most babiing break in you could imagine... NEVER EVER EVER went over 60 NOT ONCE... and kept the revs down and drove it like that for 1000 miles... after that I stopped paying attention to top speed but still went pretty easy on the car... after it had about 2k (no need to go this long) I started gradually beating on it a little more...

that motor had over 150k on it when the car got totalled and it ran STRONG... no smoke no problems nothing... it was a dream..

So I'd stay follow your manual CLOSELY.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:03 AM   #12
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

actually if you read any rebuild manual, including chiltons and haynes you will see that they tell you to floor the car 4-5 times after the engine gets to it's normal operating temperature. in it's mayden run, then they say to drive it normal, not pampering or drive it like you stole it, but since the most cars come with a few miles on them i am sure the manufaturer took care of that part. i need like 2 miles to get the engine at normal temp.

Old 07-01-2003, 05:25 PM   #13
nonovurbizniz

Yeah no dealer tells you to stay under half throttle or anything...

if you baby it too much it'll suck a$$ too..
Old 07-01-2003, 06:10 PM   #14
MasterVTEC03'SI

well...guys i gotta tell ya i dont know if i messed the car up kuzz once i passed 300 miles, i floored it and went crazy hahaha, i ran out each gear, passed red line and all the good stuff, i went all the way to 4th gear redline! red lined 1st, 2nd,3rd and 4th, im pretty impressed with the new IVTEC, but what i did, is that okay? i babyed it for 300 miles at leaste? right?
Old 07-01-2003, 07:19 PM   #15
AzCivic

i'm sure it'll be fine.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote