User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2003, 01:15 PM   #1
Shaved &/or Laid
4th Gear

For o2 si or whoever about turbos

Turbo parts:

BOV - releases pressure when you shift so turbo keeps spooling, also allows you to get laid if you use a Blitz becaues it sounds sexy.

Wastegate - Just get an internal one, or pull one off a mitsubishi/ Garrett. If its good enough for porsche its good enough for a civic

Oil lines - Keeps oil moving through the turbo. Mostly because it spins at 34923423484573405645234805643054385 rpms, like a jet. People who even start the car before running oil lines between turbo and oil pan usually end up with an explosion under the hood.

Intercooler - you seem to know what that is, but for the record it just uses air flow to cool down the air thats already in the turbo piping.

Turbo Manifold - Replaces header or stock manifold, and instead of going out the car it goes to turbo / downpipe.

Downpipe - Runs to the cat (if you have one ) or to the exhaust and out the back of the car.

uh... its early so i could be forgetting something, but pretty much thats the basics. Turbo Timers and Boost controllers are also usually needed, and some kinda reinforcement to the motor, as well as low compression pistons, i think around 9:1 would do. Youll also need lots of pipes and someone who can weld or clamp them together with the little rubber pieces and such, or both. A/d gauge and boost gauges as well.

More or less, it all adds up.
Old 06-28-2003, 04:06 PM   #2
nonovurbizniz

Re: For o2 si or whoever about turbos

Quote:
Originally posted by Shaved &/or Laid
Wastegate - Just get an internal one, or pull one off a mitsubishi/ Garrett. If its good enough for porsche its good enough for a civic

You can't really swap wastegates from company to company... even model to model most times...

If it's an internal wastegate it's generally attached to the turbo... if not you can order parts from lots of places...

and also internal waste gates suck ass... they're half the reason it takes soooo long to spool a small turbo... the external type are WAY better and generally allow MUCH faster spooling.

it's VERY important if looking at turbo's with internal wastegates to inspect the sealing surface of the wastegate itself... if there are cracks in the cast (which there generally are) it will leak and take EVEN longer to spool...

I had a ihi rhb5 which I WAS going to put on and The wastegate would open with almost ANY air pressure... this would make for laggy operation... You want the wastegate to be shut when it should be and open when it should be... not in a constant state of niether...