Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Step By Step
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2001, 05:58 PM   #1
BrandonClaps

HowTo: Trunk Popper

Well not on an SI it's the same for every car. On my brotherz 94 Z24 he had a manual release latch on the side of his seat like the si's. That automatically means you need a trunk release selonoid. DEI has one, you can get it at Best Buy for about $40. It comes with a push button like a mustang in the glove compartment (only car i know of that has it.) If you look at the trunk latch on the trunk lid, it may have 1 or 2 black cables going to the latch. If you have 1 the key goes directly into the latch to open it. If you have 2 then the key turns a braided wire inside the cable to turn the latch. Well what I did was cut the cable that went to the key selonoid right next to it. This means you can no longer open the trunk with the key (security measures my brother wanted) You can still open it from the car or with the remote. OK So now i stripped the cable back about 4" to reveal the braided cable. Now on the trunk solonoid, there is a braded cable that comes out about 8". It comes with a nut looking thing that u place both wires into and put set screw into the nut to hold the wires together. So what i did was re route the cable from the latch that previously went to the key solonoid and i took the trunk solonoid and held it to the trunk so that the braided wire coming outta the solonoid was extended completly. I made both braided wires overlap each other about 1.5" on each side. Guestimate that and mount the trunk solonoid. Get the nut and put both wires into it by about 1.5" (you can have more and just cut excess away). Next have someone help you pull both braided caables in the oppposite direction of eachother so it tightens the slack, but make sure you don't pull the trunk latch cable so hard that your trunk latch doesn't stay closed. So now just tighten the set screw trim excess cable, making sure to leave a little hanging. There will be 2 wires coming off of the trunk pop solonoid. 1 - ground, 1 needs 12v to activate. Make sure u test which is which becaus they do not tell you. If it is backwards u could blow the solonoid. Now just ground it right next to the solonoid. Now the 12v you can run to that switch and they give u wiring directions. Since he already had a realease in the car i wired it to his alarm. Now his alarm (clifford iq700) gives off a ground for the trunk release button on the remote. So i had to use a 30amp relay. SPDT (single pull double throw)
Now this is how it is wired if your alarm gives off ground for the button. Don't forget to use fuses!
85 - wire from alarm
86 - 12v
87 - 12v
30 - Wire to trunk pop solonoid
87a - nothing
If your alarm gives off a positive trigger when the button is pushed, still use a relay to get a full 12v, don't depend on your alarm to put it out. Wire the relay like this and don't forget to use fuses.
85 - wire from alarm
86 - ground
87 - 12v
30 - Wire to trunk pop solonoid
87a - nothing
Open a new window in internet explorer and PASTE http://www.8op.com/S10Xtreme/trunkpopsolonoid.jpg for a diagram of the whole thing ;]

I think thats it, hopefully i'm not forgeting anything. Any questions just post.

Old 09-27-2001, 05:59 PM   #2
BrandonClaps

Here ya go guys, I forgot there was an attachment option.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blah.jpg (17.3 KB, 544 views)

Closed Thread