::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Electronics/Sound/Security Systems
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2002, 02:32 AM   #1
Weapon

good alarm system?

well around where I live I must admit there a quite a bit more theives then one with a car wish, anyways just a little while a go my friend had his wrx stolen and they stripped it for his seats, rims and the inside of the doorway. Now I was just wondering what is a goodway to protect my civic, you know a system that protects the whole lot, esp my rims and sounds system, any suggestions?
Old 08-04-2002, 08:38 PM   #2
spoogenet

24-hour armed guard. Seriously, an alarm will deter, not prevent altogether. But every little bit helps, so on with the show.

I generally would recommend DEI alarms, the friendly people who bring you such products as Viper and Python alarms.

Most of my knowledge of what's available relates to DEI and Viper. For what you have stated, here are some things you may want with your alarm.

* dual-stage shock sensor
* trunk pin
* hood pin
* level sensor (I believe DEI has just come out with this, that way if one corner of the car is jacked up, or one end, the sensor will trip the alarm....the only way to get around it would be to jack the whole car up at once)
* audio sensor, listens for the sound of breaking glass

That stuff there will probably run you anywhere from $250 to $500 depending on which base model you go with and what modules you want to add. The better your protection the more it'll cost ya. I'm not sure if your Civic suffers from the cable-hood release problem, but if it does then you should really look into getting a hood lock as well. Some Civics have a design flaw where you can actually reach up from under the car and grab a cable to pop the hood. A hood lock is a cheap ($5-15) device that will require a key to pop the hood....a little more of a pain for you, and a lot more of a pain for a theif.

b
Old 08-04-2002, 11:11 PM   #3
Weapon

I've seen those pager alarms, where you get a message when someone tampers with your car. This any good?
Old 08-05-2002, 01:04 PM   #4
spoogenet

I was thinking of getting one of those maybe. If you are going to be nearby the car most of the time when it maybe could get hassled, but you wouldn't hear the alarm yourself, I'd say that it's probably a very good addition to your arsenal. If you think about an alarm, it doesn't do you a lot of good if your alarm is going off and nobody's paying attention to it and you can't hear it. Again, it's just a deterrant, not a solution. The pager system is a little more of a solution since you can maybe get to your car quickly....emphasis on maybe.

The only thing it can hurt is your pocketbook.

b
Old 08-06-2002, 07:21 AM   #5
fadednite

I have the Clifford Solaris. I think its one of the best alarms out there. It was a bit costly. It has tilt sensors to protect your wheels. Also you have the option to require an ID check before driving the car everytime the door is open. This prevents hi-jacking and people with no authority to drive your car. If the key is entered wrong, then the car shuts off with the alarm going off. You cannot restart the car until the correct code is entered. Oh yea, a person can't just guess a code either...it'll shut down after 3 tries. It also a remote start (even for manual!) and has an auto start if the voltage or temp gets too low. The best set-up is to have an additional hidden power source for the alarm. Like another battery somewhere. check it out...bit pricey but well worth it
Old 08-19-2002, 09:50 PM   #6
blind34_1

alarms sometimes don't even deter...I had my headunit stolen with the alarm going off.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 10:14 PM   #7
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

I'm partial to Clifford myself (especially the Avant-Garde) , and I've sold many different types of alarms. The key to any alarm is the install. Make sure the brain is well hidden.

Key features that not every alarm has:
shock sensor
starter kill
proximity sensor
tilt sensor
back up battery (mine is internal inside the siren- no wires to cut)

I find audio sensors to be useless because the shock and proximity sensors will handle any potential threat to broken windows, and then some.

I also find the pagers to be utterly useless. They work up to about 200 yds away, which is much smaller than most malls. In addition, walls drastically reduce their range.

IMO, the most key feature to any alarm is a good install.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 10:25 PM   #8
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

very true. if someone wants what you have, theyre going to get it, alarm or no alarm...but i still have one
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 12:28 AM   #9
cstrom80

If you are scared that someone might steal the whole car get the pedal club or get a detachable steering wheel. You will lose your horn and your cruise control though.
Old 09-19-2002, 05:25 PM   #10
juvenile

Quote:
Originally posted by fadednite
I have the Clifford Solaris. I think its one of the best alarms out there. It was a bit costly. It has tilt sensors to protect your wheels. Also you have the option to require an ID check before driving the car everytime the door is open. This prevents hi-jacking and people with no authority to drive your car. If the key is entered wrong, then the car shuts off with the alarm going off. You cannot restart the car until the correct code is entered. Oh yea, a person can't just guess a code either...it'll shut down after 3 tries. It also a remote start (even for manual!) and has an auto start if the voltage or temp gets too low. The best set-up is to have an additional hidden power source for the alarm. Like another battery somewhere. check it out...bit pricey but well worth it

And how much do one of these go for approx?
Old 09-19-2002, 09:30 PM   #11
BrandonClaps

i think the solaris is like $800 ???
Old 09-19-2002, 09:53 PM   #12
juvenile

US?
Damn that's expensive!
Old 10-06-2002, 11:33 PM   #13
blind34_1

You really don't need an 800 dollar alarm. Just take some precautions: don't thump your system near your home or where your destination is (the mall, etc). Do all sound tuning in a store parking lot. Do performance mods somewhere thats not YOUR home. Don't put stickers that are the equivelant of STEAL-ME on your car. This is like a shopping list to theives. Consider surrveilance.

And have a basic alarm setup: all door sensors, glass break sensor, ignition kill, hood pin sensor.

BTW: Those pager things are crap, at least the mid-range priced ones. The range sucks, and its not compatible with all alarms.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 01:01 PM   #14
fadednite

The Solaris does not cost $800. Only about $400-$500 Read about it on their site www.clifford.com
Old 10-23-2002, 09:55 PM   #15
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

The Cliffords allow for a turbo timer too. With the exception of the Arrow3 & Solaris.
Old 10-23-2002, 10:37 PM   #16
Rob
Stefan's A Sheep Fucker

The AvantGuard 4 is what I'm getting a little price but with all of the options that are offered I think it's well worth the price....

Quote:
Originally posted by IALuder
thats why i use a sock.

Quote:
Originally posted by MissJDM
Darin, please confirm that you don't like the cock!

HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #7
Anna Fan Club Member #1
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote