::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Hybrid
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2001, 10:55 AM   #1
Tinker219

H22 in 6th gen Civic??

Does anyone know if this can be done without cutting too much of the car? I presently have an ls/vtec, so what other hardware would I need?
Old 12-11-2001, 09:04 AM   #2
thermal
Banning Machine

anything is possible.....i have seen (on a magazine) a civic coupe with an h22a swap before.....this thread has been moved to get further expert comments.......

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 09:34 AM   #3
slowEJ6

cutting is not necessary for this swap anymore, you do need custom mounts though which can be found on www.gropubuycenter.com and even some places will give you the mounts when you buy the whole swap through them. however this motor is a bit hard on the suspension due to the immense amount of power and torque compared to B series engines so putting down some cash on a great suspension setup - say APEXi N1's or Tanabe Sustec Pro's would be a good idea.
I know a guy with a silver EK (6th gen hatch) that has a prelude swap, he says its not good if you enjoy taking turns fast due to the difference in weight and increase in torque.
if you prefer drag racing in a straight line its great, he runs 12.6 with very minor mods.
also, it is possible to keep your AC working in the car but, might run you a bit more. i was thinking of this swap myself until i talked to the guy, ive now downgraded (power wise) to most likely choosing the B18C5 yet upgrading (in price, by about $2000+ ) cuz id rather be road racing or autoX than drag racing. if you need any more help or info feel free to ask!
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 10:13 AM   #4
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

An H22 isnt a very good choice for a civic.. Pretty much for the reasons hybrid3do0rcx mentionned.

I went for a ride in 95 civic si coupe with h22. Handling sucks.. Even with major suspension upgrades. It has to do with the tremandeous weight in the front. The weight displacement is all wrong.

So unless you are going for drag, forget about that setup.
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 10:39 AM   #5
Tinker219

Im convinced, as handling is a high priority for me. If I have a 5th gen hatch laying around, maybe I'll build a drag car, and use my 6th gen for autoX.
Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 12-11-2001, 10:57 AM   #6
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by Tinker219
Im convinced, as handling is a high priority for me. If I have a 5th gen hatch laying around, maybe I'll build a drag car, and use my 6th gen for autoX.
Thanks for the help everyone!

good choice!

LOL you have a th gen civic laying around?!?

:P

Old 12-11-2001, 11:09 AM   #7
Tinker219

I wish I actually can get a 4th gen thats clean(banged up fenders/hood) for 200 bucks. I might do that, and drop in a B16 or something...could be interesting.
Old 12-11-2001, 12:41 PM   #8
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

I see..

ya that would be cool..

This might seem funny... But I actually like the 4th gen civic hatch's..

Old 12-11-2001, 01:29 PM   #9
slowEJ6

what do you plan on choosing for a swap now?

oh and people feel free to move on over to my post and give me an opinion (Debating...) thread.
thanks
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 03:38 PM   #10
Tinker219

My buddy is doing a b16a turbo 4th-gen hatch. That should be some good stuff I happen to have spare b18b motor that I might build up to turbo specs. Now the tough decision is which car to put it in...the 4th gen or the 6th gen. Pry the 4th because I already spent countless dollars on the LSvtec in the 6th gen.
Old 12-28-2001, 06:57 PM   #11
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord Man
It has to do with the tremandeous weight in the front. The weight displacement is all wrong.

this is one of the cases when a big huge exagerated wing makes sense

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 07:50 PM   #12
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac

this is one of the cases when a big huge exagerated wing makes sense

LOL

you might need 2 of em big ole wings..

Old 12-28-2001, 08:46 PM   #13
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

yeah you can stock them one on top of eachother

Sorry for whoring the thread

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 07:08 PM   #14
maxpsi

1) Has anyone ever thought of an H22 with a 75 shot of nos in a 6th gen civic??

2) i know about the weight problem.....but is it so bad that it is dangerous to do???

3) I mean i like to race on the street too.....but i usually pick a straight away (weight prob wouldnt matter then)
Old 03-21-2002, 11:18 PM   #15
OneDopeTeg

swap in the SOHC non-VTEC!!!! those things scream above 3000rpm and very compact and lightweight! bo cutting necessary and no custom mounts either
Old 03-22-2002, 09:04 AM   #16
maxpsi

which SOHC non-vtec????????? out of what car??????????
Maybe a GSR on the bottle would b better than a H22 on the bottle in my 6th gen civ?????????
Old 03-25-2002, 09:00 AM   #17
JaY D. Em

Quote:
Originally posted by maxpsi
1) Has anyone ever thought of an H22 with a 75 shot of nos in a 6th gen civic??

2) i know about the weight problem.....but is it so bad that it is dangerous to do???

3) I mean i like to race on the street too.....but i usually pick a straight away (weight prob wouldnt matter then)

1... H22a plus 75 shot = safe and fast!!! I'd say that'd get you into 12's on slicks... C'mon now, that's not even crazy modification either. I don't know if some of the people above may consider the swap crazy but to me, not really.

2... The weight difference goes like this. It's harder to turn the wheel. Not crazy hard to where you can't turn or anything. It's just harder to turn while parking and you can notice a little when you make a turn. I mean, i don't know how the other person civic was setup or anything but in my hatch there's hardly any understeer. All i have is GSR suspension, Tanabe front strut bar and Skunk2 Coilovers. Now, that's not "major suspension mods". Maybe with a civic coupe it's different but it's in no way at all, "Not Safe".

3... That's what i'm sayin'... Who the hell street races on "curvy" streets. Even then i don't think you'd have a problem hanging with someone through a turn. As soon as you get out of the turn... They're gonna be yellin' "Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwssssss!!!!" But really you just hit vtec... Hee hee.