::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Others
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2003, 08:33 PM   #1
1QUIKGST

Buying a CRX with a ZC swap, got ????

Well as the name implies I drive a DSM, but am looking at a 90si CRX with a ZC swap, not knowing much about the honda motors, I have a few questions.
I believe it is a d16zc...

1. will this motor handle boost? If so what internals need to be changed, or will it handle small amounts?

2. Is there aftermarket support for it? Not ricer stuff, but real mods, pistons,cams,rods,ext...?

3. Is it worth it to build up this motor or scrap it for a B series?

Thanks for any help you can provide

Also is $1200 to much to pay for a 90 CRX with this swap, it only has the motor swap no mods not even cold air or headers, the body has a small amount of damage, but nothing to bad, it will end up a 80% track car.

Again Thanks
Old 01-24-2003, 10:04 AM   #2
blind34_1

holy crap thats a great price! I paid 1700 for my 90 hatch with no engine swap. (thats dealer price though, it was sold to them for 1200)

I've been considering a zc swap for my car, because Its such a good replacement engine for stock. It makes about 120-130 hp. As for support I'm not sure, thats why I'm consdering b series. Its JDM motor, and I'm pretty sure that some older integras came with it. dont quote me though.

some links for zc stuff:
http://www.gamesbbs.com/~dmoore/zc.htm
turbo zc page
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 07:52 AM   #3
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Well, the B16a1 has more potential than the ZC. If your serious about it, I would take out the ZC and sell it. Then get a B16a1.

http://tech.hybridgarage.com/tech/4gtech/index.html
Old 01-28-2003, 11:39 AM   #4
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

the ZC is a strong engine. But it's all up to you man. DO you want the engine that you know has probably been driven hard.
Or would you rather get a CRX then drop your own engine into it.
To be honest and not trying to be a dick I would stay away from it. Only because engine swap usually means faster and harder driving. Think of it. Why else would you do a swap?

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 07:40 AM   #5
foxygrandma

i would buy it. thats an awesome price. the zc is a good engine. there is a lot of potential and plenty of parts for it. it could handle small amounts off boost w/o any mods. but the b16 has a lot more potential. the thing to do would be to buy the car and sell the engine. there are plenty of people that are looking for those. hope that helps
Old 02-20-2003, 12:47 AM   #6
themadhatter

the car is a great deal but iff u want a track car y not swap the engin 4 a h22 this will give u plennty of hp to play with
Old 02-20-2003, 11:12 PM   #7
blind34_1

i've heard that the bottom end needs to be built before runnig any sort of boost, or your asking for probs. not sure on that though, its all internet heresy
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 03:31 PM   #8
cesarsjogren

no offense to the fellow who mentioned the H22 swap, but dont listen to him; the CRX will drive like a 350 lb man is on your hood - and a ZC is a really solid motor, and not to be underestimated at all- its already quick as it is, but with boost its got potential - but of course, a B16A is defenitely, defenitely more powerful and higher in potential - but theyre expensive - since you never even mentioned either of those, yes the ZC is a formidable engine - and aftermarket support is strong too, bottom end especially; a lot of integra internals work with ZC engines- hope this helps check www.crx.org for real in depth info
Old 03-01-2003, 04:58 PM   #9
Mirkwo0dForest

i know all the answers but am not answering becuz of that signature
Old 03-01-2003, 10:54 PM   #10
delsolvtec
Del Sol Forum Moderator

There are tons of aftermarket parts for the D series motors. They also handle boost well when beefed up right, trust me, I know...

I got aprox. 240whp out of a d series with boost and a ton of other mods. It's more fun to whoop someone and then see there face when you tell them you are running a single cam motor. I love it.
Old 03-02-2003, 07:59 PM   #11
Honda530

its a great motor in a light car. A guy in my town has a dohc zc motor and he runs mid 14s all motor. The aftermarket world is out there. And if you want to run boost. I would get new pistons rocker arms head gasket and maybe cylinder sleeves. Thats about all you would for lots of boost. All that is kind of pricy though lol.