Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2005, 01:32 PM   #1
IALuder

Denver permits marijuana

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051102/...nver_marijuana

"With 100 percent of precincts reporting early Wednesday, 54 percent, or 56,001 voters, cast ballots for the ordinance, while 46 percent, or 48,632 voters, voted against it.

Under the measure, residents over 21 years old could possess up to an ounce of marijuana."

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 01:40 PM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

so who's moving to denver ?

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 03:07 PM   #3
AzCivic

that link doesn't work.

so they can possess it, but can they buy it/sell it? I can possess a Cuban cigar but I can't go to a local cigar store and buy one, nor can the store sell one.

I say legalize it and tax the fuck out of it like cigarettes, only worse.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 03:10 PM   #4
CD5Passion

yaaayyyyy
Old 11-02-2005, 05:12 PM   #5
AkimboStylee

Quote:
Originally posted by AzCivic
that link doesn't work.

so they can possess it, but can they buy it/sell it? I can possess a Cuban cigar but I can't go to a local cigar store and buy one, nor can the store sell one.

I say legalize it and tax the fuck out of it like cigarettes, only worse.

i want to here your thoughts about that??
Old 11-02-2005, 06:07 PM   #6
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

It's always pointless when these laws are passed because federal law still says it's illegal. Just like medical marijuana in Cali. It's legal to have it, but to buy or sell it is still illegal just like Az pointed out. So up until you actually possess it, you're still commiting a crime. As long as it's still changing hands you can still be arrested. What people really need to do if they wanna smoke it legally is push for decriminalization on the federal level and let states vote as to their own laws. Otherwise it'll always be illegal in some manner. And don't think it's ever be decriminalized on a federal level as long as there's a "war on drugs" . I definitely don't advocate smoking pot, but I know there's a helluva lot more out there that's worse for you.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 06:53 PM   #7
Kyle
elyK

Why not just grow it? You'd learn a few things about plants and if you grow your own bud. it's usually a LOT more potent also. And they look pretty

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 07:00 PM   #8
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyle
Why not just grow it? You'd learn a few things about plants and if you grow your own bud. it's usually a LOT more potent also. And they look pretty

If you grew it you'd likely be in possession of a lot more than an ounce and, once again, liable to be arrested.

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 11-02-2005, 09:20 PM   #9
CD5Passion

Quote:
Originally posted by GT40FIED
It's always pointless when these laws are passed because federal law still says it's illegal. Just like medical marijuana in Cali. It's legal to have it, but to buy or sell it is still illegal just like Az pointed out. So up until you actually possess it, you're still commiting a crime. As long as it's still changing hands you can still be arrested. What people really need to do if they wanna smoke it legally is push for decriminalization on the federal level and let states vote as to their own laws. Otherwise it'll always be illegal in some manner. And don't think it's ever be decriminalized on a federal level as long as there's a "war on drugs" . I definitely don't advocate smoking pot, but I know there's a helluva lot more out there that's worse for you.

we smoke medical pot here...its awesome...
Old 11-02-2005, 11:29 PM   #10
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Am I the only person.(i know i'm not) but shit...weed sucks. Why do it? The high sucks! Waste of money? And really. why make it legal. What's the point?

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 01:35 AM   #11
MissJDM

Derek, Derek, Derek, didn't I tell ya? If you ever felt like you're in a cave, don't feel so odd, I'm in one too!

I've never smoked, so I suppose my comment is biased..but I always figured there's just so much more to life than getting high TO HAVE F U N .

you say it best when you say nothing at all
MissJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 07:22 AM   #12
Mischief

It's fun to do every once in a while, I don't smoke like EVERYYYYY DAY like some people do.. once every other week maybe..

http://mensalmanac.com
Mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 07:41 AM   #13
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
I know there's a helluva lot more out there that's worse for you.

like alchohal, fatty foods, diet coke, candy, etc

i think alaska is in this catagory now too, and from what i remeber you can somewhat legally grow your own, as long as your not selling it.

im glad they are taking the step in the right direction with it. its healthier than ciggarettes, but since its actualy fun where as cigs dont do shit for ya, they wana ban it.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 08:18 AM   #14
JDMFantasy2k

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
Am I the only person.(i know i'm not) but shit...weed sucks. Why do it? The high sucks! Waste of money? And really. why make it legal. What's the point?

i think the high is probably different for different people. Plus it depends on the bud. I think they should legalize it. It's kinda like prohibition back in the 20's where they couldnt' control it, and eventually had to legalize it. Besides they could tax it, and it does have some health benefits.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:30 AM   #15
AzCivic

i'd like to know whats the stinkin difference between alcohol and weed? both mess you up and both have their health consequences when abused. Tax it!!
Old 11-03-2005, 08:30 AM   #16
IALuder

i dont smoke "pot". like mention i rather spend my money on booze.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 08:30 AM   #17
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by MissJDM
Derek, Derek, Derek, didn't I tell ya? If you ever felt like you're in a cave, don't feel so odd, I'm in one too!

I've never smoked, so I suppose my comment is biased..but I always figured there's just so much more to life than getting high TO HAVE F U N .

you don't drink alcohol at all either right?
Old 11-03-2005, 08:39 AM   #18
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
i'd like to know whats the stinkin difference between alcohol and weed? both mess you up and both have their health consequences when abused. Tax it!!

in a very small nutshell, alchohol starves your brain of oxygen, by thinning the blood going into it(its also alot more invoved than that, but thats essentially what causes the brain damage), marjiuana attaches to receptors in the front of your brain to produce the "hallucienagenic" feelings (not hallusinations) much in the same way over the counter and Rx drugs work on your body. your brain is not starved for oxygen when your stoned, hence why your motor skills dont goto shit when your stoned were as drinking... well yeah, dont try to do shit while drinking.

Old 11-03-2005, 09:32 AM   #19
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Re: Denver permits marijuana

Quote:
Originally posted by IALuder
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051102/...nver_marijuana

you suck at teh internet

Old 11-03-2005, 09:34 AM   #20
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

oh and i herd medial marijuana is just high quality regs... so im told.

Old 11-03-2005, 02:58 PM   #21
AkimboStylee

Quote:

there have been no deaths linked to marijuana (O.D.) and actually three or so weeks ago fda just passed a study where it shows that it stops cancer and even goes as far as reversing the effects of cancer, when use has been prolonged and what not. if anything they should make stricter laws for tobacco and alcohol due to the high mortality rate. also unlike alcohol and tobacco, there has been no link to IDS (infant death syndrome) where tobacco and alohol rate nearly 35% of all IDS cases.

Also they SHOULD NOT legalize any drug, just decriminalize. if they decriminalize that means that they will have less control on taxing it, but then again its the govt, and they will tax the hell out of it. /end rant!
Old 11-03-2005, 03:51 PM   #22
AzCivic

I want them to have control on taxing it.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:10 PM   #23
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
I want them to have control on taxing it.

Exactly. If you've got the vice, you should pay the price. If they're gonna tax me out the ass for smokes (when I started smoking I bought my first carton for $16...now I pay $32) then they damn well better tax for pot. It's a health risk just like cigarettes for chronic weed smokers (not people who smoke chronic, people who smoke a lot) because one joint contains roughly 3 to 4 times the tar of a tobacco cigarette.

Old 11-03-2005, 05:13 PM   #24
Mischief

You know why they don't to legalize it? Because it's hard to control.. How easy is it to get pot now? How easy do you think it'd be after they legalize it.. Pot can be grown by ANYONE, unlike alcohol or tobacco. Sure you probably could make your own of both, but would it match what these big companies pump out, and be worthwhile to your pockets? Whereas pot has always and will always be a pass it along type of thing, and never sold in stores.

Old 11-03-2005, 05:17 PM   #25
AkimboStylee

Quote:
... because one joint contains roughly 3 to 4 times the tar of a tobacco cigarette.

thats bs propaganda. the tar in cigs is related to nicotine whereas thc does not contain nicotine

read this
and this

it is actually safer than cigs and alcohol.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:27 PM   #26
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by AkimboStylee
thats bs propaganda. the tar in cigs is related to nicotine whereas thc does not contain nicotine

read this
and this

it is actually safer than cigs and alcohol.

No...it's not bs propaganda. Taken from one of the pages you linked: "Chronic smoking of marijuana can lead to respiratory ailments associated with smoke inhalation.". I'm not saying it causes cancer...abnormal and rapid cell growth causes cancer. But chronic marijuana use can lead to thing like emphysema and things of that nature.

Old 11-03-2005, 06:12 PM   #27
JDMFantasy2k

Old 11-03-2005, 07:14 PM   #28
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

its somewhere between what both of you think... i actually just read a study done not too long ago on the significance of smoking THC in causing cancer... and the control group(no tyc smoking) actually had a not significant, but higher count of cancer. it didnt significantly prove smoking thc causes cancer, or that not smoking does, it just shows that the correllation isnt as bad as it is was thought to be like with cigarettes.

Old 11-03-2005, 08:36 PM   #29
JDMFantasy2k

or you can just vaporize like many medical users do, or better yet, cook with it! anyone ever tried magic brownies?
Old 11-03-2005, 10:12 PM   #30
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by Mischief
You know why they don't to legalize it? Because it's hard to control.. How easy is it to get pot now? How easy do you think it'd be after they legalize it.. Pot can be grown by ANYONE, unlike alcohol or tobacco. Sure you probably could make your own of both, but would it match what these big companies pump out, and be worthwhile to your pockets? Whereas pot has always and will always be a pass it along type of thing, and never sold in stores.

I could grow my own tomatoes but I don't, even though its extremely easy. Most people don't want to make their own anything, they want to go buy it already prepared. We got bags of lettuce and shredded cheese because people don't want to deal with it and want to save time.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:45 PM   #31
Mischief

Quote:
I could grow my own tomatoes but I don't, even though its extremely easy. Most people don't want to make their own anything, they want to go buy it already prepared. We got bags of lettuce and shredded cheese because people don't want to deal with it and want to save time.
yea but you going to goto the dealer down the street or goto a store and pay taxes?

Old 11-03-2005, 11:31 PM   #32
AkimboStylee

dealer down the street. why? taxation, also it will be non commercialized, which is a better product, also that means there will be no added chemicals to it, becuase up untill this past year I owned 450+ acres in blaine/louisa, Kentuckey that was strictly tobacco fields. well the government now has complete control of tobacco from plant to purchase, and who knows what they put in it! there is nothing like freshly cured tobacco smoked out of a pipe, its just so different. anyways, I have a feeling that this debate could go on forever and maybe something should be done about it before it does.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:21 PM   #33
AzCivic

Quote:
yea but you going to goto the dealer down the street or goto a store and pay taxes?

huh?
Old 11-04-2005, 07:23 PM   #34
AzCivic

Quote:
dealer down the street. why? taxation, also it will be non commercialized, which is a better product, also that means there will be no added chemicals to it, becuase up untill this past year I owned 450+ acres in blaine/louisa, Kentuckey that was strictly tobacco fields. well the government now has complete control of tobacco from plant to purchase, and who knows what they put in it! there is nothing like freshly cured tobacco smoked out of a pipe, its just so different. anyways, I have a feeling that this debate could go on forever and maybe something should be done about it before it does.

do you think there's gonna be only one brand of weed available? is there only one brand of tobacco? can you only buy it w/ added chemicals?
Old 11-04-2005, 08:24 PM   #35
AkimboStylee

most tobacco you buy has added chemicals like perservatives and natural flavorings, which is what causes tar, whereas there is no tar present in weed, although many people think there is, but it is actaully thc resin that has built up.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:01 PM   #36
AzCivic

and home grown veggies taste better and are better for you, but hardly anyone has their own fruit/veggie field so this argument for not legalizing in hopes to avoid tax/"commercialization" doesn't really make sense.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:42 PM   #37
Mischief

Quote:
and home grown veggies taste better and are better for you, but hardly anyone has their own fruit/veggie field so this argument for not legalizing in hopes to avoid tax/"commercialization" doesn't really make sense.
i'm not saying everyone would grow their own, but how many people do you think would switch from going to their dealer and not paying taxes where they know it'll be good weed, or goto the store, where they'll be paying more and don't know if it'll be anything good? if anything the only reason I'd see someone going to a store is because they'd know they'll have it

Old 11-04-2005, 11:33 PM   #38
AkimboStylee

Quote:
i'm not saying everyone would grow their own, but how many people do you think would switch from going to their dealer and not paying taxes where they know it'll be good weed, or goto the store, where they'll be paying more and don't know if it'll be anything good? if anything the only reason I'd see someone going to a store is because they'd know they'll have it

Check and mate!!! j/k

oh and i wasn't saying that government should legalize or decriminalize and whatnot because if anything they will legalize it so they can make money off of it. (if that makes any sense?)

also Did you know:
72.6% of all incarcerated peoples of the united states are drug offenders(half of those are for miniscule drugs like marijauna and salvia divinorum)

statistics from DEA and Norml drug offenders studies
Old 11-04-2005, 11:57 PM   #39
Mischief

you can order salvia off the internet

Old 11-05-2005, 12:58 AM   #40
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Check and mate!!! j/k

oh and i wasn't saying that government should legalize or decriminalize and whatnot because if anything they will legalize it so they can make money off of it. (if that makes any sense?)

also Did you know:
72.6% of all incarcerated peoples of the united states are drug offenders(half of those are for miniscule drugs like marijauna and salvia divinorum)

statistics from DEA and Norml drug offenders studies

Check and mate? Hardly. Let's review, shall we?

1. As long as there are republicans and hardcore right wing christians pot will never be legal. They're the ones who started the "war on drugs" which, much like the "war on terrorism", has proven to be some of the most poorly thought out bullshit I've ever seen.

2. If it were to become legal it would be taxed and regulated and unlike other countries like Holland our rabid capitalism would eventually produce joints and/or loose product that was either sub par or loaded with additives to increase shelf life, enhance flavor, etc. Plus, like Az pointed out, people here are too lazy to do much of anything themselves so it's inevitable that pot would become just like cigarettes. The only people who would grow pot themselves are probably the people who do it now anyway...and I'd bet a good number of them would switch to making a run to the local 7-11 if they could.

3. Even if you do smoke pot, chances are that when you're sober and you encounter someone who's stoned, it annoys the living shit out of you. Look back at Darin's post about going to photo class and then getting blazed. Can you imagine going to a store and getting a clerk that acted like that? Or how about calling tech support and getting someone so stoned they can't tell shit from apple butter. Sure, it happens now and it probably wouldn't increase dramatically, but I can totally see that becoming a problem. Oh man...I hate dealing with people who are stoned.

As for the incracaration issue...I say "so what?". Is it a waste of taxpayer money? Probably. Do all of them deserve to be there? Probably not. But hey...they knew the rules of the game when they started playing. Besides...actual prison terms for drugs are most often reserved for either people carrying serious weight or habitual offenders...and fuck them. Most people with a dime or an ounce usually get at most 6 months in county, if not probation. Statistics about prisons are usually skewed anyway. I once read that black people make up 12.7% of the population in this country but make up just over 67% of the prison population. Does that mean black people are predisposed to crime? Maybe, maybe not. Saying that 72% of people incarcarated are in for drugs doesn't matter...they broke the law and they got caught.