Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Body Modifications
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2003, 04:44 PM   #1
krz2fer
2nd Gear

Arrow Maaco Paint Jobs

I've heard good and bad things about their jobs. Let hear everyone's thoughts about Maaco and if it's worth it!

---
"Aim for the sky, straight into the sun."
krz2fer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 04:54 PM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

wel dude i had my moms car painted there, not the whole car, just one of the quarter panels. it came out pretty good, and the paint did not chip off. on one place there it looks like they used sandpaper with 400 grit cause you can see 2 lines in the body filler from it. overall it came out nice and the color matches perfectly

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 08:29 AM   #3
CivicChik96

My friend took her eclipse there to get it painted from green to black... the outside looks great painted black, but when you open the hood, the trunk and the doors it's still green on the inside pieces. So, overall not bad, I guess you get what you pay for
Old 01-14-2003, 12:16 PM   #4
Honda530

Hmmm I really need a new paint job and I just want the same color as I have now. So I dont need them to pain my door jams and under hood(which is extra and a pain in hte butt) How much did your friend pay?? Oh and where in Georgia are you from?? Im from the Gwinnett county part. My brother has a 97 civic ex up in suwanee.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:44 PM   #5
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

ive seen nothing but utter crap come from maaco paints. i dunno.. imr eally particualr to a quality color over just a new color. they tape off like hell, and they run it like an assembly line it seems. their techs in my experience dont care about over spray or getting on the moldings. they cant paint door trim for crap, and i dont think they go through proper prep on the old finish

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 01:02 PM   #6
SolPol

I've gotten a Maaco job on my old CRX and they blow. Here's what it comes down to (and I found this out AFTER they painted it of course). Unless you get their top of the line package, they do NOT wet sand the car before painting. All they do is cook it on real good, which basically holds it on there long enough for your lousy 30 day warranty to run out. Then it starts chippin' like a mofo.
Old 01-14-2003, 03:59 PM   #7
CivicChik96

Quote:
Originally posted by Honda530
Hmmm I really need a new paint job and I just want the same color as I have now. So I dont need them to pain my door jams and under hood(which is extra and a pain in hte butt) How much did your friend pay?? Oh and where in Georgia are you from?? Im from the Gwinnett county part. My brother has a 97 civic ex up in suwanee.

Going with the same color instead of a whole new one seems like it should be just fine. I think she paid around 300 for her job.
I live in Augusta, but spend at lot more time in Atlanta.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:24 PM   #8
DelSolStylin

This is basically what I've heard about Maaco paint jobs:

1) They are ok if you need something small painted, a new lip or something like that that's already off your car.

2) If you do the prep work yourself (sanding and priming) they will give you a discount and the job will be better overall because usually they don't sand or prime at all.
Old 01-16-2003, 11:11 AM   #9
krz2fer
2nd Gear

I actually had a friend get a Maaco job after someone egged his car. It was a Maroon color originally, but then Maaco painted it red. He got into a small fender bender and to make a long story short, one crack in that paint and the whole bumper starts to flake off. Looks like shit run over.

---
"Aim for the sky, straight into the sun."
krz2fer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 02:44 AM   #10
CraniumDesigns

my parents got my old 88 corolla paint by maaco 3 years ago when they gave it to me when i turned 18. now, being almost 21 (in may), and owning my 96 civic, my brother has my old corolla. my parents paid $600 for the "special" that they were having to get the whole thing painted, and after about 8 months it started shipping on the edges, and no there are rust spots where the paint chipped. you get what you pay for when it comes to paint. dont go to maaco unless they prep the whole thing properly first.
Old 01-30-2003, 08:50 PM   #11
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

i have a friend that got his mustang painted there...
my grandma got her cavalier touched up there...
my dad got his trucked touched up there...

Instead of me telling you how shitty they all really are let me just say that I wouldnt touch anything maaco with a 40ft photanium pole...WITH gloves, body suit, and a face gaurd...EVER
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 10:50 AM   #12
HondaTypeJ

Just about a year ago my friend got a paint job from a place like maaco. It was Earl Scheib. They did a nice job, very little overspray, and it still holds up even today. BUT, I would pay the 1.5g's-2g's for a good job.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:01 PM   #13
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

^I hear very good things from earl scheib...Im actually looking into them right now
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 07:52 AM   #14
sc0rch

my old car was a 86 toyata camry that i bought just so i could get back and forth to work.....it was kinda ugly and nifty lookin all at once....it was green with a white racing stripe down the center of the whole car.....well it was painted at macco and at 1st it looked ok....well the the paint started flaking off up by the window on the back passenger door......and it wasnt even primered.......and the stripe was completely crooked.......and when i washed it for the 1st time that place where the paint was chipping just started flaking off.........so i say to HELL with macco