Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2005, 09:06 PM   #1
nonovurbizniz

Turbo Project DEFINATELY going ahead.. advise needed

Alright...

I've been planning on turboing my car (93 civic ex coupe d16z6 with 207 THOUSAND miles) for about 3 years now however I haven't had the money to even think about it too seriously...

I never figured I'd have money enough to do it "right"... so I've been leaning towards the Junkyard setups. Having worked at a junkyard I actually aquired a couple of parts.

However, I started a new job last year and the xmas bonus was just plain unbelievable.

I techinically have the money to do almost ANYTHING I wanted to the car or even sell it and get something faster out of the box.

But I also have kids so... JY setup it is still.

Mainly I've got:

Porsche 944 all aluminum FMIC (BIG).
Aluminum intercooler piping from saabs (TONS of it).
ARP head studs
Cometic HG for boost
Zex/Comp Cam stage 2 with Valvesprings (going to buy the retainers now too)
Fidanza 7lb FW
MSD External coil mod

I MAY be able to go back to my old job and score a free turbo/dp but I don't know that might not pan out at this point. If so it would be a stocker off a saab or 944 prob no more than 7-10 psi MAX.

My plan thus far is to socket my ecu myself and spend the extra money so I can program on the fly. Which also means buying a used laptop to do the tuning.

I'll most likely go with free software. Crome or UBerdata or whatever (SUGGESTIONS PLEASE)

Some TSI/GSX 440cc injectors
Upgraded fuel pump

SO....

Here's what I'm asking.

A. What STOCK junkyard purchasable turbo's do you all suggest... I REALLY want water/oil cooled (Please comment if you think this is uneccisary (daily driver or not I want this set up to be reliable)

I was originally looking at used IHI turbo's but I don't know what kind of boost those produce.

I just don't think I have it in me to spend 1k on a turbo even though I technically could.

B. What manifold options do I have ... I know about the HF deal with adaptor plate and I'm leaning towards this... but I figure the flow going into the turbo can't be good at all with that setup..

But again just NOT willing to spend over 300 bucks on a manifold.

I'd like to spend a decent amount on the wastegate so I have good control over the boost levels.

A decent amount on the bov (Any info on ones that DO NOT make that F'ing hiss piss noise would be great... I just want to divert the blow off back to the intake side of the turbo)

Then a decent list of all the incidentals I'm leaving off would be good too...

IE. Oil/Coolant lines A/n fittings . Suggestions on getting oil/coolant supplied to the turbo.

As much info as possible would help..

I'm looking to spend in the neighborhood of 2k all tolled on this. (not including money already spent obviously).

Any/All input is GREATLY appreciatted... with this new job I have ZERO time to get anything else done.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:17 PM   #2
IALuder

the 944 piping fits? you have to move shit to get in there?

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 09:21 PM   #3
nonovurbizniz

The piping is from Saabs but i have TONS of it so I can cut it and either couple it or weld it to get it to work right...

There are like 3-4 Different shapes I have and I have about 2-3 of each shape.

OH...

As far as the bottom end.

I was thinking about buying those B16/Toyota forged pistons from that guy on h-t... not sure if it's worth it for now though...

I mean that means rebuilding the engine entirely imo.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:47 PM   #4
Mischief

pick up the february issue of SCC, talks about junkyard turbo setups in there.

http://mensalmanac.com
Mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 09:50 PM   #5
nonovurbizniz

My main concerns right now are specific turbo information... which I know I have to read up on cuz I understood at one point but just lost it since I never used it...

Specifically what numbers I'm looking for if I want a fast spooling turbo that produces max 10-15psi.

I ideally would like to have a ceramic ball bearing turbo that has top end capability too... I'd prefer to be running the car de-tuned for the majority of the time but have the option to unleash hell when I feel the need.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:43 AM   #6
thermal
Banning Machine

Bro check this out..... I've done several unkyard set-up on people's car. Actually a $2000 budget is a lot, unless you are including a laptop with that.

I did a JY set-up that tally only $300 on a D15B EG and he would spank a JDM ITR swapped EG on short distance and mid range..

Anyway, if you just want boost that is enjoyable on the streets for daily driving, try to score any of these turbos:
-14B on 2nd gen DSM GST/GSX
-T25 on 1st gen DSM GST/GSX
-T25 Nissan/Mazda
-T3 Saab/Volvo
-T3 Super60 T-bird

IHI turbos are great as well. I just cant remember which car they came from. If you pick anything along the lines of a T3 turbo, you will be okay....... I prefer a T3super60 turbo on a street JY D-series set-up. It puts out more volume....

Any of those turbos will be great! I wouldnt worry too much about the wastegate. Most JY turbos come with internal WG. You just need a boost controller to increase the boost later. I would definitely invest on a decent one. Do not get the GReddy Profec-b Spec2. They suck!

It's your call to use the water cooling lines. There is really no need for that. I ran a TD04h-15g without water cooling for 5 years. Never had a problem with it. Just run synthetic oil and use a turbo timer or idle your car for at least a minute to flush out hot oil from the turbo.... which also allows a more even cooldown on the turbo itself.

Crome and Ubedata are great stuff hands down. I would rather use Crome tho. I heard Uberdata crashes more than Crome. But I really dont have any experience with any of those items.

DSM GST/GSX injectors are not 440cc. They are actually peak/hold 450cc. It will require a resistor pack. Read this:
http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showt...threadid=11436

Save the oil lines and fittings from whatever JY turbo you get. You might need that later.

BOV is just a mater of choice. DSM BOV's are not too loud. I like Tial BOV's cuz it sounds more of a whoosh than a turkey call. I have stickied some sound clips for you to check out. Tial BOV's cannot be rerouted. If you do not want a high pitch sound, stay away from GReddy TypeS, HKS super sequential, and TurboXS RFL. Remember that the bigger the outlet of the BOV, the better. Which is why I like Tial race BOV's.

HF manifolds are not as bad man. Or just go to www.homemadeturbo.com/forum and ask around. You can find a decent log style D-series manifold pretty cheap these days. Check out their classifieds.

My advice is to find the turbo first. That will get you started since you will have to base your numbers to that. It will also provide you an idea on what turbo manifold to use. T3 flatform is always great and pretty standard... but once you start picking these Japanese turbos, the turbo flange bolt pattern becomes weird.

Goodluck and keep me posted. I'll help you out. ........

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 11:03 AM   #7
nonovurbizniz

Hey thanks for the info.

I've actually already done a bunch of research... if I had the money earlier it would prob. be done by now...

I'm just so busy at work that I blocked out tons that I learned before... lol.

Anyway the 944 turbo's I was looking at have no internal wastegate which I like cuz that way I can choose to overspool it, or not, a little more accurately than with the internal wastegates..

I've also found that most of the used turbos' I've seen usually have cracking around the internal wastegate which is gunna lead to longer spool times and possible in accurate boost which I DON"T like the idea of...

I have a few stock bosch BOV's which are already set up to be basically silent so I may just use those but I don't know exactly how much boost those hold.

I am including the laptop in the 2k budget... and titanium retanairs but I'm gunna get a cheap used laptop nothing special.

anybody know of a good reference that rates the different stock turbos??

I know that saab aero's had highpressure turbine housings but the same exhaust as the others so it's like a factory t3/t4 but I think it's internally wastegated to 12psi...

Eh I'm prob just going to see what I can get... first step would be to call my old employer and see if he'll hook me up with one then I can go from there...

I know that I'd DEFINATELY like the newer saab turbos' since they look like with an adapter plate they'd line up PERFECT in a honda with a HF manifold. And the downpipe curves to exit centered so it'll prob. meet up with the exhaust pretty easy too.

Oh and turbo timer I'm prob. just going to get an alarm with it built in. kill 2 birds so to speak.

I gotta start writing this down and trying to plan it out clearly from the start...

I also have soo much I want to do I have to prioritise.

ugh.

Anyway thanks for the input. Keep it coming.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:58 PM   #8
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

I was going to suggest the 14b-t3 t-bird turbo too (personally, Id go for the t3 .48 out of the 2.2 saab). Some DSM injectors

(Suzuki vitara pistions)
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 09:03 PM   #9
C's 94 InTeGrA
4th Gear

If ya need some injects i got a set of 560's that came stock in the Evo id sell to ya. They got real low miles on them too if they fit.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:08 AM   #10
thermal
Banning Machine

I have a file of stock JY turbos at home. I think I found that on HMT. Look around there bro. Also the old Supra turbos are great! It is pretty big.

Remember what myself and GT40 used to preach.... adiabatic stage. Do not max out your turbo. If you do, you will reach an inefficient level which is based on an adiabatic theory.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 12-24-2005, 05:10 PM   #11
4g63t
2nd Gear

Time to regulate, sigh:
1G Tsi, gs-turbo, gsx manuals came with 14b with a tdo5h exhaust housing....manifolds are easily found on ebay...don't think that would mate to your head though...

1G Tsi, gs-turbo, gsx auto's came with a 13g with a tdo4 housing, same problem with your head, it won't mate up.

2G Tsi, gst, gsx manuals came with T-25 by garrett, it's a hair dryer turbo but you might get a manifold to fit it probably.

Dsm's at 450cc injectors and the automatics came with 390 cc injectors.

Don't buy junk yard parts though dude, you said you had the money, do it right, do it once. Check out bullseyepower.com for custom exhaust housings, etc.

You don't need a damn laptop to tune your car....
2grand here's what i'd do.

Turbo-?

Fuel/management-fuel pump? DSM 450 injectors, injector compensation chip for ecu, then whatever else is available and cheap?

Intercooler/pipes-you already have that stuff, hack and weld, pressure test it before you install on your car though.

Bov-stock 1g dsm bpv, will hold adequete psi.

Internals- arp head studs, metal hp headgasket,
full engine rebuild..
Old 12-26-2005, 05:55 PM   #12
nonovurbizniz

Anyone got any opinions on this thing...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

It's twin scroll but it's not designed for my car... and if I go HF manifold it might be more harm than good... I think?...

Any way any input appreciatted.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:56 AM   #13
thermal
Banning Machine

The turbo looks good. I have no clue what it will do for a 1.6 SOHC tho. I think that it will be fully spooled by 3-4K. The problem I see there is extensive fabrication. If you look at both the turbine inlet and out, you'll see that it will be challenging to fab something to adapt to our cars.....

I say stick with the stock DSM flatform or T3 style for convenience

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 12-28-2005, 08:27 AM   #14
thermal
Banning Machine

here's another great link bro:
http://www.mjmturbos.com/AAAmjm2ndpage.htm

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 04-12-2020, 06:16 PM   #15
fertooos

Shame on me but I know nothing about Haggard Project. Tell me the official resource where I can read all the information about this project. What locations does it relate to? I am from the Edinburgh postcode area. Please help me to learn more about it. It can be very interesting. I am very keen on further information, so I believe you will explain it to me properly. Thanks.
fertooos is offline   Reply With Quote