::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2002, 05:57 PM   #1
Zor

Greddy 92-95 Civic Turbo question for 97 Civic

I am new to this site and everyone seems to be very knowlegable. I want to put a turbo on my 97 Civic EX. The only turbo that I have found that seems to be reasonably priced is the kit from Greddy for the 92-95 Civics (plus it is the only one CARB certified as of now) Has any one ever installed one? I would like to do it myself so I am looking to see what kind of modifications need to be made to make it usable for my Application. Is it something that can be done?

Thanks in advance
Zor
zor_primo@hotmail.com
Old 01-20-2002, 06:02 PM   #2
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

We have some How tos in the step by step that talk about how to do this check it out..

Greddy turbo install for 5th and 6th Gen civics <--- Clink for link
Old 01-20-2002, 06:09 PM   #3
Zor

Thanks a bunch this will ive me a start
Old 01-20-2002, 06:19 PM   #4
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by Zor
Thanks a bunch this will ive me a start

No problem.. Good luck with it.. I was wanting so bad to do the same thing.. but the money situation just isnt working for me right now since Im getting married this year some time, but maybe next year or so Ill get the turbo..

If you have any more questions about this install or anything else just ask away.. These guys are a great help.. Some one will be able to answer your questions..
Old 01-21-2002, 11:19 AM   #5
turbod97ex

The kit works great on a 97 EX but is not CARB certified which really doesn't matter unless you live in California - CARB=California Air and Resource Board.
I have the kit on my 97 EX and I love it. There are a few other kits out there, Drag, F-Max, Revhard, not to mention custom, but unless you plan on building your engine to make up for the added power they will give you, stick with the Greddy or Apexi kits.
You will see the prices for the kit vary and being sold for as high as the suggested retail of $1995 but if you pay more than $1500, you paid too much.
I have a website devoted to the installation of the Greddy kit at http://www.turbocivic.net that can help you. Feel free to emai lme too.
peace, Steve
Old 01-21-2002, 02:45 PM   #6
!_wide_teg

i have a kit from a obd1 sohc vtec...used for three months...no fmu..no missing link..but has side mount intercooler and act clutch...its a greddy kit...email if interested
Old 02-01-2002, 09:05 PM   #7
menacersf

does it matter if you put a 92-95 kit on the 97 civics? i live in ca and am waiting for the 97 kits, but i am giving up if nothing happens. the only difference is that the carb # is specific for a 92-95 civic, but who is going to check the carb # anyway? if a cop pulls you over and you show them the carb # , they wont know that its made for a different car would they?
Old 02-02-2002, 12:45 PM   #8
!_wide_teg

ive seen ppl use it but as for legal wat not i have no idea
Old 02-02-2002, 01:16 PM   #9
turbod97ex

It is not legal because it is not CARB certified.
Old 02-06-2002, 10:14 AM   #10
VTC_CiViC

Kit works fine on my car. Just get the GReddy and the intercooler and boost away..
Old 02-06-2002, 10:53 AM   #11
BlazinCrx

all greddy turbo kits are CARB cert.
Old 02-06-2002, 11:41 AM   #12
VTC_CiViC

Quote:
Originally posted by BlazinCrx
all greddy turbo kits are CARB cert.

They lose their legality when used on anything other than a 5G Civic. They were certified for those Civic's only.
Old 02-06-2002, 12:09 PM   #13
turbod97ex

Quote:
Originally posted by VTC_CiViC

They lose their legality when used on anything other than a 5G Civic. They were certified for those Civic's only.
Exactly, and if you are waiting for them to come out with a kit for the 96 and up Civics that is CARB certified, don't hold your breath. Greddy told me in December of 2000 that they would be coming out with one soon. Hmmmm. I wonder what soon means to them. It's been over a year. The thing is, they know that their kit will work on the 96-00 Civics and that people buy the kit for that year of Civic so why come out with a new kit just for the Californians? I think that it would cost them money to do the CARB certification and that as long as people are buying the current kit they will not come out with anything else.
Old 02-07-2002, 01:09 PM   #14
VTC_CiViC

Couldn't have put it better myself!!