::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2003, 02:46 PM   #1
zm_dawg

93-95 Hatchback

I think I'm set on finding a 93-95 hatchback once I get by money back from the insurance company. I'm also telling myself I want to do a swap? Now I read that the B16A, B18B, and B18C are all direct bolt in's. I looked at Osaka and that hmotors place that someone had a link to. Now seeing that these are direct boltin's what do I all need on the hmotor place they had the long block for sale and also a complete change over. Which of these would I be looking at getting? Unsure because there is a price difference between the two shops. Also....the parts I'd be obtaining, are they the one's I wanna stick with as far as manifolds...do I wanna do port and polish? Which of those engines would I be wanting to swap in the most? I think for sure I'll do the swap sure I'm sitting here thinking the GSR engine would be the best....but would it? and if i do the swap do I just put it in and go from there with bolt on's or would I be better off performing other changes to the engine I swapped in? Would me and my father and another guy or two be able to perform this in our garage. With the right tools rented out from autozone? Any help's appreciated.
Old 01-16-2003, 03:29 PM   #2
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

yep it all fits just fine.

Osaka is the cheapest, however they do not include shift linkage nor the axles...these can easily be bought on eGay for pretty cheap.

Port and polish is optional but will add a bit of hp to any engine. Most things are gonna be a hell of a lot easier to do when the engine is out of the car.

Id go with the b16a because its really cheap for the power but the 18c is great too ...b18b...not want vtec???

Yes you can do it from hand tools and stuff rented from autozone (tranny jack, engine hoist, maybe some air tools to get the stuck bolts off...and a hell of a lot of WD)

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/b18cswap/swap.php is a b18c swap into an EG

I would go the exact same route youre going if I was in the same situation...GOOD CHOICE!
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 06:56 PM   #3
sohc_vtec 2NR

i personally think that u should consider what u'll be doin' with your car...daily driver,autox, or drag, well if you wanna save some money stick with the b16 but if you're lucky enough and want absolute power to work with,why not get the b18c1...
Old 01-16-2003, 07:28 PM   #4
Honda530

Id go with the b18 gsr motor cant remember what the code is. b18 vtec mmmmhhh that sounds good.
Old 01-17-2003, 02:12 AM   #5
zm_dawg

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30005
$3200
http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30020
$1700
What's the difference here.....which one these would I be looking at getting to throw in a 93-95 hatchback...
http://www.osakajdmmotors.com/honda/b18c1/index.html
$2700
Now does the one from osaka not include something...just that much better of a price....or is the $1700 suffice to do the job that I'm wanting to do....how much extra would it be to take it to get port and polished while the engine is still out? I'm trying to figure all this out for before i get the car and wanna have it done....i like planning ahead.
92-95 hatchbacks......had an SI....would can I do with this motor? which motor is it exactly again? I really like the idea of dropping in the GSR motor though.....help me out
Old 01-17-2003, 08:31 AM   #6
DjBert

I was pretty much in the same situation as you...

I've got a UK 93 hatchback VTI (i think it's virtually identical to the SiR-II over there?), which has the B16A2 as standard.

I had my mind set on a swap (I had decided on the B18C1 (gsr) over the B18C5 (type-r) for 2 reasons: Cost, and the fact that the B18C1 can take a lot more boost than the type-r engine.

Anway, after speaking to a few people here, it seems my existing engine is very similar in a lot of ways to the gsr engine, obviously it's a 1.6 rather than a 1.8 but very similar in the way it reacts to forced induction etc.

If you're like me and just looking for a very quick street car, i'd buy the cheaper engine (either the B16A1 or B16A2 - i think you can pick these up for about $900-$1000 over there - somebody correct me if i'm wrong) and do some internal work and then turbo (or supercharge) it. Apparently both the B16A2 and B18C1 (not sure about the B16A1) can be tuned up to between 350-400hp! I wasn't aware of this when I was considering a swap and now I don't erally see any point. 350hp is more than enough for me.

So I'd get the cheaper engine, and then spend the extra cash on tuning that, it's more fun than just buying the 1.8 and not having any money to beef that up!
Old 01-17-2003, 09:42 AM   #7
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

long blocks dont come w/ everything you need...i think just top, bottom, oil...and something else...someone help me out
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote