::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2002, 04:42 PM   #1
zm_dawg

Lamp Brightness

I previously posted about getting some new projector headlamps, not quite sure regular projectors or AE's. But, I was wondering if after buying the lamps can I still install better bulbs to get the brighter plus the blue tint in the light. I heard somewhere I may not be able to upgrade the bulbs for some reason. What is the best way to go about getting the brighter shine with the tint in it? Projectors with new bulbs...stock with new bulbs.....what should i do?
Old 12-22-2002, 04:52 PM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Lights with tint to them (unless you get true HID), will be dimmer at the same output level (wattage) than stock lights. This is because certain wavelengths of light are blocked to get the blue tint. If you run a high wattage bulb (e.g. 100 watts), you run a serious risk of melting your harness, etc. I wouldn't take that chance if it was my car.

Also, projectors will have worse light output than stock.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 09:45 PM   #3
Almighty-Si

If you want to run higher wattage light bulbs I suggest upgrading the harness. That way you won't run the risk of melting your harness and you will be able to put more power to your lights cause of the thicker wire and the harness runs right off the power of the battery.

I would look into getting some HID's, there's nothing better you can do to your headlights. I have them in my Lexus and my Civic and when I drive my Accord I keep checking to see if my lights are on...LOL...I have a hard time seeing.
Old 12-22-2002, 11:12 PM   #4
zm_dawg

What HID's would I be looking at getting....price range good source to get them from? I really haven't looked into that system so if someone could explain...like headlamps i'd use or what's included etc.
Old 12-22-2002, 11:33 PM   #5
Almighty-Si

Quote:
Originally posted by zm_dawg
What HID's would I be looking at getting....price range good source to get them from? I really haven't looked into that system so if someone could explain...like headlamps i'd use or what's included etc.

You have a 2000 EX so if you are using stock headlights you would need an H4 kit. HID kits include everything you need to convert it will include bulbs, ballasts/ignitors, wiring harness and all mounting hardware. The cost varries from kit to kit but you can find Phillips 6000k kits for $450-525.

www.TurboEvo.com Has them for $525 but i'm sure that he will be running a groupbuy for them again soon. The groupbuy was for $485 shipped which is a pretty good deal for that kit.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:25 PM   #6
Mischief(LTS)

HID's blow. you can get some xenon bulbs which totally kick ass (ive had them for about a year) and they are freaking cheap as hell
Old 12-23-2002, 06:46 PM   #7
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Mischief(LTS)
HID's blow. you can get some xenon bulbs which totally kick ass (ive had them for about a year) and they are freaking cheap as hell

Good call. HIDs are horrible compared to Xenon bulbs

Old 12-23-2002, 09:49 PM   #8
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
Good call. HIDs are horrible compared to Xenon bulbs

HA

Honestly though, over standard bulbs the xenon bulbs are much better. And the Krypton+Xenon are even better. But still no where near true HID. I should try and remember to take a pic of my friends Del Sol (Xenon) and other friends IS300 (HID) together for comparison and post that....nah youve all seen true hid and the xenons...that are installed on every thing...Im so lazy
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 10:18 PM   #9
Almighty-Si

Quote:
Originally posted by Mischief(LTS)

HID's blow?...LoL...I don't know what systems you have had but I have had mine for just close to 2 years now with no problems and it's not even one of the great Phillips or HELLA kits. The kit that I have is a Xenox HID kit that I picked up for $360, which was not a bad price cause anyone who knows about HID's knows they were hella expensive a couple years ago. They are still expensive but they are priced much better than they were then.
Old 12-23-2002, 11:12 PM   #10
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

If my lights blow again, I think I might make the HID switch... assuming that I've already done my suspension.

Old 12-24-2002, 10:13 PM   #11
Quist

Hey almighty-SI how is the light dispersment on the HID kit. Ive heard that the stock lamps dont spread the light out very well.
Old 12-25-2002, 01:30 AM   #12
Almighty-Si

Quote:
Originally posted by Quist
Hey almighty-SI how is the light dispersment on the HID kit. Ive heard that the stock lamps dont spread the light out very well.

It's true. They don't really put the light out as nice as the stock system that came with my Lexus but it really isn't as bad as alot of people say. It takes some time cause you do have to mess with the aiming of the lights (especially if your car is lowered) and at some points the pattern looks a little choppy but you really can't notice it that much. It's much, MUCH better than stock, if you're thinking about getting them, get them you will not be disappointed.

I have some pics but I can't post them, for some odd reason I can't get them to work on my personal web-space. So if someone would like to post them for me I would be glad to show. If no one else is interested in seeing them, just send me an e-mail and I will send them out to ya. The pics aren't super great quality and I was messing with the aiming and I had them pointed to far to the left but it will still give you the idea of how they look.
Old 12-26-2002, 08:24 AM   #13
bent_remy

I have angle eyes with black housing. I wanna get a h3 6000k hid kit. I wanna know if anyone has hid's with AE's? I heard that the temp will melt my housing in no time. Is that true?
Old 12-26-2002, 12:06 PM   #14
Almighty-Si

If they would melt with HID's then they would definitely melt with regular halogens installed.

HID's burn cooler than regular halogen bulbs so I wouldn't worry too much about melting your housing.
Old 12-26-2002, 03:06 PM   #15
bent_remy

Quote:
Originally posted by Almighty-Si
If they would melt with HID's then they would definitely melt with regular halogens installed.

HID's burn cooler than regular halogen bulbs so I wouldn't worry too much about melting your housing.

Aright cool cuz I have some Xenon blue bulbs in there right now and every thing has been fine. They've been in for about a month now with no problems. I gonna go with the HID's.
Old 12-26-2002, 10:48 PM   #16
Almighty-Si

Quote:

Hey sorry it took me some time to get back to you. I sent the pic to you just a little while ago.
Old 12-26-2002, 10:56 PM   #17
Almighty-Si

Quote:

Hey sorry it took me some time to get back to you. I sent the pic to you just a little while ago.