::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2003, 03:42 AM   #1
RavingCivic

Exhausts!!! and everthing else

i am looking to get an exhaust as well... for my 97 civic EX......i am looking at GReddy EVO, HKS (Sport or High Power) or APEXi N1....
IF anyone has any of these exhausts LEt me know about the sound, HP gains, and HOW many tickets u have gotten for the damn noise violation
Old 04-26-2003, 03:33 PM   #2
silver

Re: Exhausts!!! and everthing else

Quote:
Originally posted by RavingCivic
i am looking to get an exhaust as well... for my 97 civic EX......i am looking at GReddy EVO, HKS (Sport or High Power) or APEXi N1....
IF anyone has any of these exhausts LEt me know about the sound, HP gains, and HOW many tickets u have gotten for the damn noise violation

And for anyone who reads this I am a sales rep for Concept Auto Creations... if there is anything u want or need HIT me up at DanyeruDono on AIM....i can get most anything and can get it cheaper than almost any price u can find on the net

greddy won't get you a ticket. generally a quiet deeper tone
hks and apexi will likely make more power due to less sound suppression. I like the look of all of the exhausts and power will be comparable between the three, you can't go wrong with any of them.

nice plug at the end there
Top Secret, Ings+1, J's Racing, Varis, Amuse, ASM, GP Sports, Air Walker, Garage Defend, Kakimoto, BuddyClub, Feel's, Fujitsubo, Porterfield, KG/MM, ORC, Spoon, Mugen, and more than 200 others. If it's in a Hyper Rev, it's in our reach.

http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 09:33 AM   #3
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

^I agree...to get more info about them use the search feature and type in the exhausts you want to learn more about...also check w/ other sites like Honda-tech (but you better use their search featrure before you ask anything or you might get banned instantly (yeah theyre pricks sometimes)

Also, watch out for that plug you just threw in there at the end...you might want to just put a link in at the bottom in your signature (selling isnt allowed on the main forums)
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 01:44 PM   #4
RavingCivic

Yo guys sorry bout the last part...didnt know aobut the no selling rule..............

i have searched alot to try and find sound clips for the exhausts...i have found sound clips for the HKS but cant find any for the APEXi or the GReddy....i did see some one driving a civic with GReddy EVO but it sounded very quiet.....my AEM CAI was louder than the exhaust, was this normal or was it just this person not revvvvving it the way they should. i keep hearing that the EVO is one of the best in every way and that it doesnt get loud untill higher RPM's. is this true? if so how loud does it get compared to the HKS or the APEXi? LEt me kNOw PleasE

and Sorry again about the selling thing
Old 04-28-2003, 08:50 PM   #5
cashizslick

Re: Exhausts!!! and everthing else

Quote:

Thermal Thermal Thermal - i got a ticket for noise once - then i showed the judge my paperwork that states my car's exhaust complies with California's regulations for Decible Limits. Then i got the ticket ripped up.

****Technically the law in SPFLD states that you cannot modify your vehicles exhaust system beyond the stock specifications. But they have no definition of what "Stock" means. There are no specific sound ordininces in place.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:53 PM   #6
cashizslick

Quote:
Yo guys sorry bout the last part...didnt know aobut the no selling rule..............

i have searched alot to try and find sound clips for the exhausts...i have found sound clips for the HKS but cant find any for the APEXi or the GReddy....i did see some one driving a civic with GReddy EVO but it sounded very quiet.....my AEM CAI was louder than the exhaust, was this normal or was it just this person not revvvvving it the way they should. i keep hearing that the EVO is one of the best in every way and that it doesnt get loud untill higher RPM's. is this true? if so how loud does it get compared to the HKS or the APEXi? LEt me kNOw PleasE

and Sorry again about the selling thing

Whatever you do, DO NOT GET A GREDDY STREET PERFORMANCE EXHAUST. They are complete garbage. My buddie put one on his Celica 2 months ago and it is already rusting inside the tip and around the weldings by the hangers.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:18 AM   #7
RavingCivic

do u know anything about the EVO? i hear it is one of the best on the market, but i am also hearing alot about THERMAL, are they really as good as hondaman and everyone says? i was looking at HKS but iu dont like there sound very much. i am gonna contact Thermal to get some sound clips, unless anyone has any or can even video tape it with digital camera and upload it to the net, if u can do that i can DL directly from u, i have a T1
Old 04-29-2003, 05:58 AM   #8
cashizslick

Quote:
do u know anything about the EVO? i hear it is one of the best on the market, but i am also hearing alot about THERMAL, are they really as good as hondaman and everyone says? i was looking at HKS but iu dont like there sound very much. i am gonna contact Thermal to get some sound clips, unless anyone has any or can even video tape it with digital camera and upload it to the net, if u can do that i can DL directly from u, i have a T1

Go to the Exhaust stickey on this forum. My car and P'Digg's car both have thermal's and weve posted pics. Listen, Thermal's are 100 % stainless steal all the way to the cat, you cant say the same about Greddy - thats why they rust.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:20 PM   #9
RavingCivic

ok so THErmAL it is.... which is better for stock civic with just a AEM CAI and a high flow cat....i see stealth is built for less modified cars but what is the sound as compared to the Classic

Dan
Old 05-03-2003, 02:54 AM   #10
trabadoor22

i would seriously concider magnaflow. it seems like either people dont like them because they make systems for domestic cars as well as imports or people just dont know about them. they are all mandrel bent, full stainless steel as well and come with a lifetime warranty. i had one on my old car a '97 civic and out of all the exhaust systems ive heard i like their's the best, mellow deep sound. if you want it extremely loud then it it may not be for you though. it gave me a noticable difference in hp and they can be bought for less than most popular systems. i got mine for $340. also if you want to check out some reviews on exhaust systems and many more performance parts there are quite a few at carreview.com.
Old 05-03-2003, 03:31 PM   #11
iRACEmyCTR

Quote:
Originally posted by cashizslick
Whatever you do, DO NOT GET A GREDDY STREET PERFORMANCE EXHAUST. They are complete garbage. My buddie put one on his Celica 2 months ago and it is already rusting inside the tip and around the weldings by the hangers.

My SP owns. I dunno how or where your buddie got his installed but that could have been the problem. I purchased the SP because before it I had been running straight 3" pipe which was so loud it shook the car. The SP is almost silent at cruising RPMs and screams when i hit vtec. It also looks kinda like a stock exhaust which complements my sleeper car. For the 3 exhaust you are looking at I'd recomend the N1. I have 2 friends who have the N1 and the EVO and i dont really like how the EVO hangs or sounds or flows. The N1 hangs with a nice angle and sounds so much better. The flow from a N1 is a lot better too.
Old 05-04-2003, 12:22 AM   #12
RavingCivic

yeah but the N1 is LOUD, a friend of mine has one and he gets a ticket every month or so, i live in VA and our law is stricter than CA cause of some crap where they say it cant be louder than what stock sounds like.

Thermal is Even louder i have found. so now i am looking at Buddy CLub Does any one kNow what they will Sound like on a Civic with AEM CAI and HIGH FLOW CAT, D16 motor
Old 05-04-2003, 08:43 AM   #13
cashizslick

Quote:
Originally posted by iRACEmyCTR
My SP owns. I dunno how or where your buddie got his installed but that could have been the problem. I purchased the SP because before it I had been running straight 3" pipe which was so loud it shook the car. The SP is almost silent at cruising RPMs and screams when i hit vtec. It also looks kinda like a stock exhaust which complements my sleeper car. For the 3 exhaust you are looking at I'd recomend the N1. I have 2 friends who have the N1 and the EVO and i dont really like how the EVO hangs or sounds or flows. The N1 hangs with a nice angle and sounds so much better. The flow from a N1 is a lot better too.

All i know is his exhaust was done at a shop and it is i month old - and the tip is rusting out on he instide.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:53 AM   #14
jjcivic92
2nd Gear

Dang, he gets a ticket like every month for that exhaust. That's crazy dude - so is that restricting law. My Ravin muffler is mellow, but at the same time deep. I like it, but I kind of wished I would have continued saving up and just bought A'PEXi. Now I've been the thermal exhaust systems and they are pretty awesome. Loud too.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:14 PM   #15
RavingCivic

yeah bUt LOUD is what i dont want, but i dont want quiet either, i want an exhaust that sounds good, is somewhat loud (around 100db) thermal N1 is like 108, and greddy EVO is like 94. i sure dont want anything that sounds like a fart or can of bees. my friend keeps telling me that ALL HONDA's SOUND LIKE ASS, which pisses me off, cuase i have heard some nice ones that werent loud.

I know Buddy Club is good stuff, but does anyone know of anyone with a Buddy Club exhaust. i was told that they weere nice andf who cares what they sound like cause it is Japanese made, All Stainless steel, and its BUDDY CLUB, Nuff said. But i wanna know what they sound like

so if anyone knows if they sound good or bad please let me know
Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 PM   #16
Spitz

i just got the apex's n1 and i love it it seems like i got a little power and torque down low right where i needed it. Plus it sounds low not high and raspy like some. With the silencer in it is pretty quiet but out it is loud as hell i like it a lot.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:30 AM   #17
RavingCivic

doesnt that Silencer also Kill some of the HP gains?, and does it look stupid when it is in?
Old 05-05-2003, 09:37 AM   #18
cashizslick

Quote:
doesnt that Silencer also Kill some of the HP gains?, and does it look stupid when it is in?

Yes and Yes
Old 05-05-2003, 09:45 AM   #19
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

speaking of exhausts...where the hell did the sticky go??
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 12:00 PM   #20
cashizslick

i DUNNO, but there were WAY to many people posting in there w/out picutres
Old 05-29-2003, 09:50 PM   #21
Netrisk032

yo man consider hayame exhaust. they are the shizat. i gots one and has a nice deep tone and not too loud at all just loud enough. when i hit vtec on my d16, my aem cai is all most louder than my exhaust. it is the perfect balance of sound. condsider hayame.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:54 PM   #22
Mattmob

I own a GReddy Evolution catback, I've it had on my car for awhile now and I have to say I love it. It's a nice deep tone that can scream when you hit the pedal but crusing around the city it hums and wont get you pulled over. It looks pretty nice and has a great tuck desgin for cars with ground clearance issues so you wont have alot of can scraping. Although it will still happen, it's least likely too.

It's a pretty high qaulity exhaust IMO.
Old 06-02-2003, 06:36 PM   #23
nonovurbizniz

greddy evo is DEFINATELY the best sounding exhaust if you want not loud...

if you want to sound like you pissed off a bee's nest the get the N1 or any "non-sound suppressing" piece...

I had an evo on my old car and it was the nicest sound in the world... it also has REALLY thick piping which is good and bad... it last long and can be re-welded... but it's HEAVY.

Oh and if it's too quiet for you... you can cut off the resonator and put in a straight pipe... or just get a evo muffler and get pipes bent up to it... it'll be a little louder but not as bad as most of the fart can exhausts.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:47 PM   #24
RavingCivic

Actually i am pretty sure i am going to get the Thermal R&D Classic
i found a web site THANKS TO my other thread where a guy had sound clips of his 97 civic with CAI and HEADERs. He had sound clips for GREDDY EVO and THERMAL CLassic, and i kinda like the DEEPNESS of the Classic Better. (ALthought they are both Deep IMO the Classic is a lil deeper, and prolly want annoy me as much on the interstate at nOrmal highway speeds of 80-100mph)

the link is in the other thread.

http://www.geocities.com/troy97ex/

and here it is again. Check it out, tell me what u think

PLus i kinda like the Thermal being ALL STAINLESS. it helps the sound and the longevity of the exhaust.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:32 PM   #25
nonovurbizniz

greddy evo is stainless too... at least mine was.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:33 PM   #26
Mattmob

Yeah, the evo's are all SS.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:50 PM   #27
nonovurbizniz

oh and I'd bet money the greddy piping is thicker... I've NEVER seen piping so thick used on exhaust pipes before... that stuff would last FOREVER... (baring resonator weld issues like I've mentioned before (of course like I said I was able to have the resonator re-welded due to the strength of materials used on the evo).
Old 06-03-2003, 11:17 AM   #28
RavingCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by Mattmob
Yeah, the evo's are all SS.

I would have to correct u on this
Greddy EVO are NOT All stainless
ONLY the muffler is, the piping is aluminzed tubing, of which i have (IN THIS FORUM) read several complaints about rusting probmlems around welds and resonator.

I am going to call Thermal and GReddy TOnight when i get home and find out the dimensions of the piping for both and post them here

Besides i like sound of Thermal Classic Better.
Old 06-03-2003, 11:53 AM   #29
sohc_vtec 2NR

Quote:
I would have to correct u on this
Greddy EVO are NOT All stainless
ONLY the muffler is, the piping is aluminzed tubing, of which i have (IN THIS FORUM) read several complaints about rusting probmlems around welds and resonator.

I am going to call Thermal and GReddy TOnight when i get home and find out the dimensions of the piping for both and post them here

Besides i like sound of Thermal Classic Better.

so did you call 'em yet? huh? huh? i am interested in knowing this information....i still think Greddy EVO is the best...
Old 06-03-2003, 12:11 PM   #30
Mattmob

I didnt mean the the piping, I meant the can and tip. The piping is coated aluminum which is really durable. I would think these systems would be a bit lighter then full s/s systems even though it's a bit thicker. There isnt any rusting or anything on my pipes. It might have something to do with climate and area where these guys are having problems.
Old 06-03-2003, 12:37 PM   #31
RavingCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by sohc_vtec 2NR
so did you call 'em yet? huh? huh? i am interested in knowing this information....i still think Greddy EVO is the best...

BITE me RICE BOI-hahaha (Meant in so many ways FLIP)

I dont get off work untill 6pm i will call them then (3 pm PST)

i have heard (again on this forum) that the EVO's THICK piping is heavier than ALL SS systems. "one of the heaviest on the market"

IMO i happen to like sound of THERMAL CLASSIC better
GO there and u can hear EVO vs CLASSIC
Old 06-03-2003, 01:03 PM   #32
nonovurbizniz

uh... I never said that the piping is MORE prone to rust....

what I said was that JUST LIKE ALL exhausts I've had the greddy blew out in the SAME spot as ALL the others... at the resonator.. it has NOTHING to do with weld quality or metal quality...

It's because the gases expand DRAMATICALLY once out of the cat... the first place they have to expand very much is the resonator... this puts excessive wear on the resonator and it's welds...

also water which is a natural product of a combustion reaction sits in the resonator and tends to make them rust first...

again it has NOTHING to do with greddy specifically... it's just a problem that EVERY exhaust I've had has had. (because they all have resonators and I never had a header of cat. before...)

with a hi-flo cat and a header the expansion should not be as dramatic at the resonator however if the bottom of the resonator lies below the bottom of the piping chances are water will accumulate there and eventually cause rust...

My point was.... that the greddy was the ONLY exhaust I ever had that was high quality enough to re-weld... also I believe they have a LONG warranty. not sure though.

anyway good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:52 PM   #33
Mattmob

Quote:
BITE me RICE BOI-hahaha (Meant in so many ways FLIP)

I dont get off work untill 6pm i will call them then (3 pm PST)

i have heard (again on this forum) that the EVO's THICK piping is heavier than ALL SS systems. "one of the heaviest on the market"

IMO i happen to like sound of THERMAL CLASSIC better
GO there and u can hear EVO vs CLASSIC

I dunno, I think the Evo has a cleaner sound, but thats just me.

You still can't go wrong with either though.
Old 06-03-2003, 04:17 PM   #34
RavingCivic

some other people also said it about GREDDY specifically around the WELDS.

YEs i am going to put on the HIGH FLOW CAT when i put the exhaust on, no point in driving 100 miles to go home to do it twice, is there?

Also if Thermal is SS then i really dont think there will be a problem with rusting, (as i do remember that is one of the benefits of SS)

so i dunno if i am gonna have the problem of rusting inside the resonator.

YES they both sound good, YES i can get the Greddy CHEAPER, by about $45. But i do think that Stainless Steel will sound better, and again as soon as i get home i will find out HOW THICK the pipes are for both Exhausts.

ALSO if the person welding KNOWS wtf they are doing then i am sure ui can weld ANY exhuast. HELL i used a ARC welder on my FORD RANGER at 50 amps...NOT SUPPOSED TO DO THAT..it was hard cause it kept eating through but i finally laid over enough layers to get it to work

TIG or MIG welders will do fine unless the piping is paper thin, of which i wouldnt have in the first place

i will call THERMAL and GREDDY also to find out how often they have to fix exhuasts for rusting and other problems (if they will tell me)

DAN
Old 06-03-2003, 06:38 PM   #35
sohc_vtec 2NR

did u call yet???? huh? u rice-hatin' bi-zotch!! haha
Old 06-03-2003, 06:51 PM   #36
RavingCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by (ghey rice boi) sohc_vtec 2NR
did u call yet???? huh? u rice-hatin' bi-zotch!! haha

RICE IS......GHEY......HAHAHHAHA

YES i called.. they wouldnt (or couldnt) give me the specific measurements of the piping. BUT

I DID find this OUT...Thermal is made out of T304 stainless steel
WILL NOT RUST..and if u get any discoloration u can buff it out

Greddy is made out of Aluminized steel= LOW Carbon steel (with Nickel (which rusts) and aluminum)

so YES after finding out the type of metal that is in Greddy EVO i think that it iS more prone to rusting than the THermal IS

PLease can i get some posts from everyone??

what has been ur experience with Greddy and Thermal?
Old 06-03-2003, 07:21 PM   #37
sohc_vtec 2NR

i could give u an experience with the greddy evo if i ever get it...i'm gettin' impatient here!!!!! lol just messin'......
Old 06-03-2003, 11:30 PM   #38
RavingCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by sohc_vtec 2NR
i could give u an experience with the greddy evo if i ever get it...i'm gettin' impatient here!!!!! lol just messin'......

They Just GOT the money man, Two Weeks is the price u pay for paying less than anyone else in the known world

hehehe
Old 06-04-2003, 08:24 PM   #39

can i sample the sound clips?
Old 06-04-2003, 08:25 PM   #40
RavingCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by member
can i sample the sound clips?

YES GO HERE