::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2003, 01:55 AM   #1
RavingCivic

TIMING BeLT

how do i know if i need to replace my timing belt? if it looks in GC is it ok? i am at 120K should i do it now even if it looks good? i have had car for 6 1/2 years, DriVen HAAARRRDDD, and i mean RED LIND EVERY TIME every gear, Changed oil at 4-7k miles, replaced Clutch 3 times and tranny once, wtf will changing the timing belt do anyways cept for NOT Break? any other benenfits?

Also how do i adjust timing? i am bout to read haynes manual but i am curious as to the benefits to adjusting timing?
does it affect Gas mileage? (like my cai did, used to get 400 to tank now i get 250 if im lucky) (damn it for trying to hear that thing all the time)

Thanks
Dan
Old 06-04-2003, 07:48 AM   #2
ohiochica

teh reason for changing the timing belt before it breaks is because when it breaks it often messes up the teeth and then you have a worse mess to deal with. dont cheap out, it probably needs replaced. and you cant really tell what condition its in unless its taken off.

Ohio HST members please read this
ohiochica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 07:49 AM   #3
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i would do the timing belt just for the peace of mind. i had mine done at 115k and no problems. i think they could last but who knows when it's gonna snap

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 08:47 AM   #4
oc civic

Quote:
Originally posted by ohiochica
teh reason for changing the timing belt before it breaks is because when it breaks it often messes up the teeth

what "teeth" does it mess up??
Old 06-04-2003, 11:11 AM   #5
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

now, im not exactly sure, but honda techs told me that it messes up the valves
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 11:43 AM   #6
oc civic

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
now, im not exactly sure, but honda techs told me that it messes up the valves

your correct.. im asuming that he is talkign about the teeth on the cam gear which is entirely not true.. a broken timing belt will NORMALY be the end of your motor.. but one thing it will not hurt are the teeth on the cam gear.. so i was curious as to what the hell he was talking about..
Old 06-04-2003, 11:52 AM   #7
pdiggitydogg

maybe the "cam teeth" aka lobes?
Old 06-04-2003, 12:06 PM   #8
oc civic

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
maybe the "cam teeth" aka lobes?

grasping for straws.. lol

teeth are on the gear...

lobes are on the cam....
Old 06-04-2003, 12:23 PM   #9
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by oc civic
what "teeth" does it mess up??

i think she was talking about the teeth on the belt, not the ones in the camgear. because of age there is a possibility for the belt to snap and that will cause a lot of damage to your internals. i won't get into details too much

Old 06-04-2003, 12:30 PM   #10
sc0rch

Change the belt every 60-80k miles......trust me......thats what is reccomended anyway......change it now b4 it's too late........when i bought my car i made them change it for me
Old 06-04-2003, 12:41 PM   #11
nonovurbizniz

Re: TIMING BeLT

Quote:
Originally posted by RavingCivic
how do i know if i need to replace my timing belt? if it looks in GC is it ok? i am at 120K should i do it now even if it looks good? i have had car for 6 1/2 years, DriVen HAAARRRDDD, and i mean RED LIND EVERY TIME every gear, Changed oil at 4-7k miles, replaced Clutch 3 times and tranny once, wtf will changing the timing belt do anyways cept for NOT Break? any other benenfits?

Also how do i adjust timing? i am bout to read haynes manual but i am curious as to the benefits to adjusting timing?
does it affect Gas mileage? (like my cai did, used to get 400 to tank now i get 250 if im lucky) (damn it for trying to hear that thing all the time)

Thanks
Dan

1. Yes replace it now before it goes
2. change your oil more often
3. adjusting the timing (nothing to do with timing belt other than that's where the mark is) can mean 2 things... the cam timing or the ignition timing... you are talking about ignition timing... the only way to tell if your getting power or loosing it by moving the ig. timing forward or back is to dyno it... yes in GENERAL advancing increases performance... while retarding it decreases performance... BE CAREFULL. you can over-advance your timing and make the motor knock which could break something.
4. timing will slightly effect your gas milage..

5. there is something MAJORLY wrong with your car if you are getting 250mi to the tank... unless your boosting/nitrous.
A cai should not reduce your gas milage like that... chances are you are running VERY rich for some other reason...

If your timing belt goes... like oc said that's basically all she wrote for the motor... the head at least... the pistons/rods MIGHT be safe but not likely...

do it NOW.

oh and get a helms they're MUCH better..

And there are NO teeth ANYWHERE that your timing belt going will affect unless you're staring at it smiling when it goes.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:03 PM   #12
Wallythecat

Changing the timing belt is just GOOD maintenance for a car over 100K...

When the engine runs, the timing belt maintains the "timed" relationship between the crankshaft and the camshaft. As these turn, all the internal components of your engine are moving in time with each other (via the timing belt). If you break the timing belt, all those internals go out of sync and start banging against each other, pretty much destroying everything...

For the health and longevity of your engine, it should be replaced. It's a helluva lot cheaper than a new engine

Chris
Old 06-04-2003, 02:06 PM   #13
nonovurbizniz

just fyi this is not always the case.... most honda engines (Maybe all I'm not sure) are "interferance" motors... which means that IF the valve is all the way open and the piston goes to tdc it will contact the valve...

MANY MANY engines are designed so that if the timing belt goes it just stops running and does NO internal damage...

even better some companies put timing CHAINS on instead of belts... which basically NEVER go.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:37 PM   #14
pdiggitydogg

Quote:
grasping for straws.. lol

teeth are on the gear...

lobes are on the cam....

yes yes i know
Old 06-04-2003, 08:17 PM   #15
RavingCivic

Re: Re: TIMING BeLT

Quote:
Originally posted by nonovurbizniz
1. Yes replace it now before it goes
2. change your oil more often
3. adjusting the timing (nothing to do with timing belt other than that's where the mark is) can mean 2 things... the cam timing or the ignition timing... you are talking about ignition timing... the only way to tell if your getting power or loosing it by moving the ig. timing forward or back is to dyno it... yes in GENERAL advancing increases performance... while retarding it decreases performance... BE CAREFULL. you can over-advance your timing and make the motor knock which could break something.
4. timing will slightly effect your gas milage..

5. there is something MAJORLY wrong with your car if you are getting 250mi to the tank... unless your boosting/nitrous.
A cai should not reduce your gas milage like that... chances are you are running VERY rich for some other reason...

If your timing belt goes... like oc said that's basically all she wrote for the motor... the head at least... the pistons/rods MIGHT be safe but not likely...

do it NOW.

oh and get a helms they're MUCH better..

And there are NO teeth ANYWHERE that your timing belt going will affect unless you're staring at it smiling when it goes.

what are HELMS?

My gas milage is Down because Constantly have PEDAL TO MEDAL
so my around town trips are made a lil quicker, but its cause i have the Intake and i cant control my self. I HAVE TO HEAR IT, which means BE IN VTEC heheh, or higher gear with gas to floor so it makes low bwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa noise
Old 06-04-2003, 08:23 PM   #16
RavingCivic

op and yes i know $400 for timing is cheaper than 2k for a NEW B18B motor, BUt if it is time for me to get a new motor, then its TIme..... i would rather spend the extra 1500 to have a B18B with 50k miles than pay almost $500 to get damn one belt and water pump replaced. even with my brother getting me a discount at HONDA it still will cost me the $400
Old 06-05-2003, 01:12 AM   #17
sc0rch

jesus $400 for the belt??? i get mine done for $150........

oh and reving up at high RPMs will cause that sucker to snap in a heart beat.......thats what happend to me...i was passing a car and POOF when it reved past whatever it was at.....it snapped........
Old 06-05-2003, 10:22 PM   #18
RavingCivic

at HONDa Dealer (i dont trust ANY one Else) ... BUT i am getting new Water PUMp and Timing Belt
normally 450 but my bro work there so i get Belts and PUMP at Discount... which means i am getting them to change ALL BELTS and do pump for around 400

and i RED LINE EVERY GEAR every time i drive

Putting that Biatch to the test
Old 06-05-2003, 11:08 PM   #19
Jazn671
1st Gear

chains?

dood... chains go too...

other dood... change the timing belt...
break down a little earlier, starve a day, and get a cheap oil change sooner... it's up to you, i don't wanna take the bus.
630-407-0711
www.suja1.com
AIM:Jazn671
Jazn671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 01:38 AM   #20
RavingCivic

im going to change the Timing Belt this Monday at HONDA..
and yes i know i need to change the oil sooner. but i figure by the time the engine blows i will have enough MONeY (ie bigger Credit CarD ) to pay for swap...i just hope she dont Blow in next year or 2 and i wil be FINE

CHeap Oil? i would rather run on 10K old Castrol Syntec Blend (what i use) than on any cheap ass oil they put in there with Cheap oil change
Old 06-06-2003, 07:37 AM   #21
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

heh, seriusly i never seen a timing belt snap before but i've heard of 2 snapping, but i saw 2 timing chains snapping and killing some perfectly good engines

Old 06-06-2003, 06:25 PM   #22
nonovurbizniz

Yeah... belts never go... RIGHHHHHHHT... I've worked at shops since I was 16...

I've NEVER scene a chain go.. I had 160K+ on my stock chain.. brought it to nissan they were like... don't worry dude it ain't going anywhere... and if it did it was a non-interferance motor..

I've PERSONALLY seen over 10 cars that either slipped or snapped a timing belt... belts are made of RUBBER... chains are made of metal... the only dis-advantage to a chain is the higher rotating mass... which isn't even that bad. belts sit on an open sides pulley... chains ride teeth making it all but impossible to slip.

I've seen at least 10 maximas with over 200k and NO replacement chain... I am more than aware that chains can and do go however with MUCH less frequency than belts do.

and poster... even with your "plan"... what the F are you going to do when you're doing 85 on a backroad and your timing belt goes... you know it'll probobly cause an accident right? You also risk VERY high speed flying metal pieces and fire... not exactly a good plan... change the belt...

Oh and I got my pump and ALL the belts for less than 200 from an online honda parts store. yes geniune honda BRAND NEW pump.
Old 06-06-2003, 08:19 PM   #23
RavingCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by nonovurbizniz
Yeah... belts never go... RIGHHHHHHHT... I've worked at shops since I was 16...

I've NEVER scene a chain go.. I had 160K+ on my stock chain.. brought it to nissan they were like... don't worry dude it ain't going anywhere... and if it did it was a non-interferance motor..

I've PERSONALLY seen over 10 cars that either slipped or snapped a timing belt... belts are made of RUBBER... chains are made of metal... the only dis-advantage to a chain is the higher rotating mass... which isn't even that bad. belts sit on an open sides pulley... chains ride teeth making it all but impossible to slip.

I've seen at least 10 maximas with over 200k and NO replacement chain... I am more than aware that chains can and do go however with MUCH less frequency than belts do.

and poster... even with your "plan"... what the F are you going to do when you're doing 85 on a backroad and your timing belt goes... you know it'll probobly cause an accident right? You also risk VERY high speed flying metal pieces and fire... not exactly a good plan... change the belt...

Oh and I got my pump and ALL the belts for less than 200 from an online honda parts store. yes geniune honda BRAND NEW pump.

i already said that i AM GOING TO REPLACE IT MONDAY

PARTs arent the problem i get them at near cost! its the 260 in labor that is gonna kill me.

and what PLAN are u referring to that requires me to be wrecking on a back road at 85? EVEN so i have MAnual and even if Engine DID lock up it is all a matter of DERPESSING THE CLUTCH pedal and slowing down. PLUS the Back ROADS that i drive on are RARELY ever driven on( this is if u meant ME since u put POSTER)

i am sure that it will eventually break which is y i am replacing (AGAIN ON MONDAY) so that i wont have to worry.

OIH yeah and HONDA engines are recommended to get TIMING belt done at 105K not 60k like hyuandia and KIa and some other Bullshit manufacturers.
Old 06-08-2003, 12:09 AM   #24
nonovurbizniz

fyi it's 90k.

I missed the I'm going to change it monday part...

and depressing the clutch won't put out a fire if you blow your head at 85. nor will it turn on your wipers to get all the oil off your windshield.. nor will it give you traction if the engine pisses oil all over the road...

I was just trying to convey the severity of loosing a timing belt at high speed... it can be a realatively incident free happening but it can also be a REAL sh!t storm.. I was basing my statement on the fact (mis-informed fact) that you were "planning" on driving it till it blew so you could justify a swap.

Sorry.
Old 06-08-2003, 12:17 AM   #25
ohiochica

ok sorry to say anything about the teeth. i am not quite sure what the proper term is, i know mainly 353 and 383's. but basically everyone else conveyed to him what i was trying to convey. get it done or if not and it goes you will toast the motor.

Ohio HST members please read this
ohiochica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 03:18 PM   #26
CivicOwnz

I went to get my TB replaced at about 70K, my mechanic (this is why I go to him) told me that for the civics, it should be good to about 95K or so. I was extremely happy to put off the cost at the time, but once it gets up to around 95K, you can bet its gonna be in for a change. Heard too many horror stories of timing belts breaking and engines getting screwed up.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:24 PM   #27
RavingCivic

meh
MY damn Timing Belt LOOKed PERFECT that kinda pisses me off...
there were NO signs of wear, and now the ENgine IDles Different than it did before, sounds kinda weird.

BUT they did find a broken engine mount.. so i suppose that is good.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:06 AM   #28
venom122
1st Gear

Quote:
your correct.. im asuming that he is talkign about the teeth on the cam gear which is entirely not true.. a broken timing belt will NORMALY be the end of your motor.. but one thing it will not hurt are the teeth on the cam gear.. so i was curious as to what the hell he was talking about..

My friend Snapped his on his prelude and OC is right "the end of the engine". He had to replace the entire head.
venom122 is offline   Reply With Quote