::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Electronics/Sound/Security Systems
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2002, 10:27 PM   #1
SilverCoupe2K1

Better...not just Louder

I was looking to do some minor mods to the sound system in the hopes of makin it sound better, not just louder. I wanted to add an amp and a sub, but I was told that adding an amp with the existing speaker would be useless. I don't want to change the head unit since i have a 6 CD in dash, and don't see the point of changing that, unless I can get the same system but reading MP3's...(which I've yet to see...) So what do I do? I want sound quality...not loud distorted sound...do I need to change the speakers? There isn't much room for upgrade on the rears since the trunk bar runs about an inch away from the magnet below the speakers...
Old 05-09-2002, 11:23 PM   #2
black95gs-t

well if you want to go to amps, you don't need a new head unit, but if you keep your stock one, i can gaurantee it won't sound very good. your stock head unit is not made to power an aftermarket amplifier. you will need several adaptors, which really don't sound all that great. you can use a 5 channel amp. such as the Alpine. or if you don't care about being able to fade from front to back, you can use an amp such as the Phoenix Gold 500.4. bridge the 2 left speakers on one of the front channels of the amp and the right 2 speakers on the other front channel. then bridge the back 2 channels together for the subs. as far as speakers go, if you keep the stock speakers, turn the gains down and plan on having enough money to replace them, there is a strond possiblity of them blowing. for more detailed help email me.
See y'all next month!!!! (if you don't know what that means, look at the thread, "reformed domestic dude now for imports," in the "new kid on the block" forum of "general discussion.")
J

"Hearts and minds gents.... And if that doesn't work, two in the heart and one in the mind."

"Life sucks.....so drop your pants and let the good times roll!" Mycivicjust8u
black95gs-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 12:22 AM   #3
Maxvla

isnt there a six disc nakamichi in dash player jon? (mr "i love my nak") maybe it'll read mp3s?

i also suggest replacing the head unit.

and to be simple the 5 channel alpine should do the trick for ya.

see ya later jon.
Old 05-15-2002, 10:03 PM   #4
black95gs-t

the 6 disk nak doesn't play mp3's. and i would not buy the 6 disk nak. nak is a great brand. but i don't personally like their 6 disk changers. too many moving parts and they are very complicated and expencive to fix. plus when the in dash units are changing disks they are very loud.
J

"Hearts and minds gents.... And if that doesn't work, two in the heart and one in the mind."

Old 05-16-2002, 03:26 PM   #5
SilverCoupe2K1

I don't have the cash for a major job...nor is it a priority right now. I actually like the quality of sound, I'd just like to add an edge. Would adding a sub to the existing components be useful?
Old 05-16-2002, 08:02 PM   #6
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

Add a sub and crossover your stage. This will take 90% of the distortion out, as well as deepen your sound field.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 12:45 AM   #7
black95gs-t

but if you don't use an aftermarket head unit, you will have to put a line level adaptor in which will automatically add in distortion to the sub. and depending on the year of your car and stereo options purched on the stock HU, some of them turn down the bass at higher volumes to help prevent distortion. if you run a line level adaptor this is a major problem and the only way to fix it is with an aftermarket HU.
J

Old 05-17-2002, 04:11 AM   #8
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

Caps and coils- passive crossover system. Easy to build, easy to install.
Old 05-24-2002, 01:33 PM   #9
black95gs-t

the external x-over is for the internal speakers. not the sub. the sub amp should come with an internal x-over already built into it. the external x-over is to take the low tones out of the mid/high speakers, which will lower distortion.
J

Old 05-25-2002, 03:21 AM   #10
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

ECHO... ECHO... echo...
Old 05-31-2002, 12:58 AM   #11
black95gs-t

i know i was just splainin what all of that stuff was for for those who did not know.
J