::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2004, 11:14 AM   #1
sideshow775

molding my bodykit?

How do i properly mold the bodykit on my civic. Ive noticed it looks a lot better when its molded. Do i just take bondo and do it that way or is there other ways?
sideshow775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 04:24 PM   #2
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

does anyone have a body kit here?
just asking
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 06:43 PM   #3
JDMFantasy2k

a friend of mine just had his molded. It looked really sick and there is no noticible difference, the whole car looks like one piece. I'm assuming bondo (if done really good) could probably work however i'd suggest practicing on some shitty junkyard car first or something because if you fuck it up you're gonna have one hell of a mess
Old 07-21-2004, 06:57 PM   #4
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

eh I wouldnt think you really can screw it up since you can always remove it by sanding (forever if necessary).
Ive done drywall mud several times and I think thats a huge pain in the ass...and thats all flat...so I can only imagine how it'd be on a curved surface
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 07:00 PM   #5
CD5Passion

here's some advice man, do not mold the kit, aside from it looking nice to begin with it's more of a pain then you want to deal with.
if it's your daily driver i strongly suggest against it, but if it's a show car thats another story
my friend has his drift kit molded to his cavy, one peice, i admit it looked nice but the trouble that came along with it...wasnt worth it
here's the problem with doing it, you will have to redo the "molding" job whenever you happen to hit a curb or just bottom out the seal will break and no matter how hard we tried there were always cracks. we molded it with fiberglass and bondo and we remolded it about 6 times before he ditched the cavy for a golf.
it's just a warning of the pains to come if you do it. but if you do i suggest put a layer of fiberglass along the back of the kit then put a layer of bondo over that and on the front bondo it and be ready with a powersander and lots of sandpaper.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:08 AM   #6
95DX
2nd Gear

I'd have to agree with Darin^ unless its going to be show only it really wouldn't be worth it, another thing that I've thought of other then the points he brought up is that its going to also be a real pain if you should get into an accident to have to undo all that sh*t to remove the damaged parts and then have to redo all of it again to make it look right
95DX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 11:19 AM   #7
JDMFantasy2k

yeah another thing about that, my friend installed a aem short ram on his car before he had the body kit installed, and he didn't remove the airbox piece that was in the bumper, he figured the guy doing his bodywork would...

come to find out he left it and molded the bumper so now that air box piece is stuck in there, making it look stupid and adding dead weight.