::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2002, 11:13 AM   #1
inspecta83

turbo types

can anyone just let me know what the differences are (pros/cons) between a few different types (i.e. t3/t4, t25, etc)? and what application each is best for? thanks
Old 11-12-2002, 03:31 PM   #2
delsolvtec
Del Sol Forum Moderator

Damn, that would take about a week. There are so many different types of turbo setups that I wouldn't even know where to begin.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:46 PM   #3
inspecta83

just tell me about the turbos that are more commonly used on hondas. or better yet...on integra LS motors. thanks
Old 11-13-2002, 07:48 PM   #4
Almighty-Si

Quote:
Originally posted by delsolvtec
Damn, that would take about a week. There are so many different types of turbo setups that I wouldn't even know where to begin.

The most common is the T3/T4 turbo they come in most kits. I feel the a straight T3 is more than enough for a daily driver. I am working on a kit right now for my car that is going to use a GT-28. Well right now it's a GT-25 but I am having the turbo upgraded to a GT-28.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:13 AM   #5
delsolvtec
Del Sol Forum Moderator

Actually I think the most common street turbo used on hondas is the TD04H Mitsu turbo that comes with most kits. At least most of Greddy's kits.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:43 AM   #6
Dr Drew

Re: turbo types

Quote:
Originally posted by inspecta83
can anyone just let me know what the differences are (pros/cons) between a few different types (i.e. t3/t4, t25, etc)? and what application each is best for? thanks

The major pros and cons of any charger only really comes with the engine that it is bolted too. The t3/t4 is a hybrid turbo that uses a t3 turbine housing (smaller lighter wheel, quick spooling) and a t4 compressor housing. This turbo is well suited for the B-series engines because it is has a quick spooling of a t3 turbo and higher flow characteristics of a t4 turbo. This turbo has a lot of potential. The T-25 is a smaller turbo that would be well suited for a single cam motor or lower output twin cams. The TD04 like delsol said is a good turbo for the single cam as well. It is compairable to a T-25.

There are also differant trim levels for each turbo. The A/R size (area/radius) greatly effects the spool time and overall flow. I currently have a T3/T4e garret turbo. It is good up to about 400 whp. The turbo i'm considering getting soon is a T3/T60-1.

The most important thing is to match the turbine to the CFM flow on the engine. Here is a good link to do that. turbo calculator
Old 11-21-2002, 11:25 AM   #7
NastyontheNOS

Turbos turbos turbos

There are lots of turbos to go with as you can tell but the things I look at are what the use is going to be drag, street, street/strip etc. Also what kinda horsepower you are looking to make if a modest number say 300hp is your range you are going to need a turbo that will flow enough CFM threw the compressor for that amount of HP and if response is key for the street a Mitsubishi unit may be the ticket. They have a superior turbine wheel and housing design and the right cartridge has lots of options to upgrade to from the popular 16G to the bad boy never stops boosting 20G. They work real well but if your looking at 400hp+ overboosting is a big problem with them, nothing a external wastgate can't take care of but overboosting means restriction, and restriction equals loss of HP. Hear is where we get into the old school proven time in time again Garrett T3/ T4's. When you talk about the Garrett units there are lots of options exhaust housings regulate the spool time but more so it regulates the amount of backpressure your engine is going to produce. If you build a turbo that flows 630+CFM you better be able to get that out of the header thew the turbo and out the down pipe quick, and T3's offer a few type's of exhaust wheels and turbine housings to let you flow out the exhuast. I mix and match housing and wheels regularly for differnt hp goals and personally build what I think are the trickyest Hybrid turbos in the southeast, you never know whats going on inside my turbos. The T-25's IHI's and so many other 's will work but the most popular and sensable are the ones listed give me a call if you would like more info and or sizing best for you.

Alex Costa
Precision Machined Engines
1-800-665-0405