::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2004, 11:04 AM   #1
JDMFantasy2k

temp vs. press

Ok i just bought a vafc2 and i got a set of high impedance injectors off of tunertoys.com, so i'll be runnin the afc hack for my engine management (until spring at least). So i've decided to pick up a couple more gauges (i'm going to do gauge cluster shroud). I figure i can plumb an EGT probe into my blockoff plate for the external wastegate port, but i'm not sure if i should get an oil pressure gauge or an oil temp gauge.

I've heard that the oil needs to be a certain temp in order to lubricate effectivly (hence i'd like to get an oil cooler with thermostat in the near future) but then again i heard an oil pressure gauge is a good idea too. Any suggestions?
Old 10-16-2004, 04:41 PM   #2
thermal
Banning Machine

Oil pressure gauge man.

Here's why:
Tap the gauge on the same location where you are tapping your oil supply/feed to the turbo. This way, you can monitor your system for a positive lubrication to the turbo.

It doesnt matter if the oil is whether cold or hot. Better to have a hot or cold oil than not knowing if you have flow/pressure. What is important is to ensure that you have oil flow/pressure to the turbo.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 01:04 AM   #3
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

^^ Exactly. The only time you really need to worry about temperature is if the oil reaches the point where it starts coking. That's why everyone always tells you to let the car run a minute or two before shutting it off after running the motor really hard. If the turbo is hot from a beating and you let that oil just sit in there, it can coke up and fuck your nice new turbo. An oil cooler is a nice tough as well...but I'd say a pressure gauge is an even better idea.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 05:51 PM   #4
thermal
Banning Machine

^Another great point by Steve.... an oil cooler.

"Coking" is one of the biggest trouble stock turboed cars are susceptible to. That is why turbo timers are made to have a fool proof solution in allowing the motor to run for a minute or two.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 09:36 PM   #5
JDMFantasy2k

yeah, another thing i want to pick up come spring time is an oil cooler with a thermostat switch