::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Wheels, Tires, Suspension, and Brakes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2002, 01:13 AM   #1
Quist

Coilover install

Ok guys- some where out here is someone that I was talking to that knows how to install coilovers-he said that he could talk me through it but I cannot for the life of me remember who it was!!! I have a set of OBX coilover sleeves and I need some input on where things go and how all the rubber rings and metal rings work. If any one has done this before or has instructions from their set, it would help(I have a fax machine)

Thanks guys!!
P.S. I dont want to hear about how coilover sleeves suck and I should have gone with full coilovers or regular springs. I had a set of regular nuespeed springs and it was not low enough. I also have a few friends that have coilover sleeves and they have worked out great!!!!

So in the words of the great Thumper: "If you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all"

Night guys(and girls)
Old 03-22-2002, 01:14 PM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

I read your old post... wasn't it hybrid3do0rcx?

BTW, I'm not saying anything negative , but what struts are you using?

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 01:55 PM   #3
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

The rubber rings [if its anything like the Skunk coilovers] will slide down over the shock then you will slide the coilovers over the rubber rings to keep them from moving around. Removing the shock is pretty straight forwards, once youll start looking at it itll be really obvious. You can usually get ahold of me on AIM and I maybe able to help you out. Ive installed more then my share of springs and sleeves. Just give me a yell if you need anything.

AIM: RacingRice97
Old 03-22-2002, 04:17 PM   #4
Quist

Hey thanks "94". You got a mind like a steel trap!!
oh ya and I am just going to stay with the stock struts and see how they do and later when I get some money I will get some Koni Yellows I think.

Thanks Racing Rice for the help, I also have a steel ring(1 for each spring) that I have no idea what to do with, any answers. I dont have AIM but if I need help I will PM you if thats cool with you.

What whould be my steps on taking the strut assembly off. I started one day and there is a bolt on the bottom of the stru assembly that comes out horizontaly and it has ribs all the way around it, I was afraid that if I took it out i wouldn't be able to get it back in(felt like there was alot of pressure on the bolt).

Thanks for any help
Old 03-23-2002, 09:02 PM   #5
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Well I know on the Konis you have to have a for the Skunk coilovers to hold them on the shocks. The Konis have removeable perches. You probably wont need the metal rings with stock shocks.

As for getting the getting the assembly out, in the front you will have to remove the bolts from the top of the assembly [you get to them from under the hood] Then there is a bolt in the yolk you will have to take out so you can get the shock out of the yolk. You will also probably want to remove the bolt that hooks the Yolk to the LCA.

In the rear you will have your top bolts like the front, then you will have the one bolt that goes through the bottom of the shock. Ive seen this bolt give lots of people problems. They tend to rust and brake very easy. Hopefully they come out ok for you if not you will have to have them drilled out. You can probably get the shock out without having to drop the rear LCA. You may want to have some friends help you push down so you can get the whole assembly out. It can be a pain sometimes.