Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Wheels, Tires, Suspension, and Brakes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2001, 09:36 AM   #1
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Stock SI swaybar in an EX?

Will a stock front 26mm 99-00 SI Sway bar bolt into a 6th Gen Civic EX (stock 22mm sway bar) without drilling holes or any other modifications? Has anyone ever done this.

Im thinking I may have to go with a thicker swaybar in the Front if my 21mm Skunk2 swaybar ever comes in. I think a Front 26mm would be almost perfect with a rear 21mm swaybar.

Id appreciate any ideas.
Old 12-05-2001, 11:58 AM   #2
urbanlegend21

you realize that with a stiffer front sway bar you are creating a lot of understeer ina car that already has loads of understeer from the factory?
Old 12-05-2001, 12:26 PM   #3
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by urbanlegend21
you realize that with a stiffer front sway bar you are creating a lot of understeer ina car that already has loads of understeer from the factory?

Thats taken care of, Ive got a 21mm Skunk2 swaybar for the rear, which if anything is going to give me oversteer, Im wanting to know if this will work so that I can try to balance it out a little better if I have to.
Old 12-07-2001, 10:38 AM   #4
urbanlegend21

i don't know that well about civics and will ask at VIR this weekend to some of the civic drivers, but when I put my rear bar on with the stock still in the front I still have a touch of understeer in the faster corners. I was able to make the rear rotate a lot better though. Let me do some research with the racers this weekend and get back to you.
Old 12-07-2001, 11:10 AM   #5
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by urbanlegend21
i don't know that well about civics and will ask at VIR this weekend to some of the civic drivers, but when I put my rear bar on with the stock still in the front I still have a touch of understeer in the faster corners. I was able to make the rear rotate a lot better though. Let me do some research with the racers this weekend and get back to you.

Cool man, thanks. I dont even know If Im going to mess with the Front bar yet. Since Im still waiting on my hardware from Skunk2, I have the bar just cant mount it yet, After I get it mounted, Im going to play with it some and see how it feels and then make my decision if I need thicker one up front. Chances are I wont, but you never know. I have Koni struts so Im going to play with the damper settings some and see if I can get it to feel right.

Itll probably be really weird to me at first since Ive owned FWD cars for so long with a ton of Understeer. I drove a Miata once and it Freaked me out, cause its a night and day feeling in difference.

Let me know what you find out. Im just wandering how hard it is to put the SI swaybar in the front, and if I can do it without modifing if for no other reason, but to know it can be done. Hopefully the hardware comes in soon so I can start playing with them before it gets snowy out.

thanks
Old 12-28-2001, 08:51 PM   #6
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

I think the mount points are the same. We can look at mine when I get my shocks maybe that'll help.
Old 12-29-2001, 11:41 AM   #7
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_Addict
I think the mount points are the same. We can look at mine when I get my shocks maybe that'll help.

thats what Im wandering... Hopefully my Skunk2 mounts will be here monday.. Keep in mind I said hopefully.. I talked to Skunk2 Thursday and they said that they have the mounts made and will be next day shipping them to me.. So hopefully monday will be the day...
Old 02-13-2002, 08:46 PM   #8
97CivicFerio

The Si front sway bar end link holes are horizontal, not vertical like on the other 6th gen models. You will need the Si front endlinks to install it. Bad part is, they are not cheap.....of course.:(
Old 02-14-2002, 12:17 PM   #9
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by 97CivicFerio
The Si front sway bar end link holes are horizontal, not vertical like on the other 6th gen models. You will need the Si front endlinks to install it. Bad part is, they are not cheap.....of course.:(

That makes sense.. Thanks..

I dont think Im going to need the SI swaybar anyway.. I finally got my Skunk2 swaybar on and it feels great as it is.. After the winters over and I put my other wheels back on I can play with the settings on my Konis and adjust it out a little better..
Old 02-14-2002, 02:34 PM   #10
97CivicFerio

Sounds good, getting a huge front sway bar can reduce your traction too much.
Old 02-14-2002, 09:42 PM   #11
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by 97CivicFerio
Sounds good, getting a huge front sway bar can reduce your traction too much.

Yuppers... Your so right about that..