Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2002, 01:25 AM   #1
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

Considering the Dark Side

So I've been an all motor guy for a long time, and the time has come to consider turbo. (Actually, I'm looking at building an engine the likes of which has never been seen, and turboing it!). I'm not quite a newbie when it comes to turbo, but I'm sure you guys here in the turbo forum can edumacate me.

So right now, I'm debating- buy a kit, or piece one together myself. If it were to be a kit, it would be either the RevHard Stage 2 or the FMAX. The RevHard comes highly recommended from my shop, but it may just be because it's the only one they sell. Hmmm....

If I get a kit, I'm leaning towards the FMAX. It's got an impressive list of components: Turbonetics turbo, HKS BOV, new injectors, detonation management, and an external wastegate. In addition, they claim to fit better. A couple questions:

Can I upgrade to a ball bearing turbo?
Does it come with all necessary lines, hoses, and hardware (the RevHard says so right on the list of equipment)?
Really, how easy in the install?
Is there anything outside the kit I need? I know eventually I'll need boost control, a timer, gauge, etc, but does it include everything I need to safely be off and running?
Price?

Now if I put one together myself, can it be done cheaper (e-bay, groupbuy, the nooks and crannies of the internet you know about I may not)? Here's my list of equipment, and please help me fill in the blanks and change anything you feel needs changing.

Turbo- Turbonetics T3/T4 ball bearing
Manifold- RevHard? FMAX? Help!
Internal or external wastegate, and by who?
BOV- HKS
Intercooler plumbing and downpipe- No idea whatsoever
Intercooler- Spearco
Fuel System- RC injectors, Apex-i S-AFC, Regulator and pump
Hoses, Lines, and Clamps- anybody sell a kit?

Anything I missed? Where the best place to look for this stuff a la carte?

What's the best way to go?
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 02:58 PM   #2
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

Help?! Anyone?!
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 05:31 AM   #3
Boosted3g

Ill answer the questions in order:

Turbo- The t3/t4 is a nice turbo, im not sure what your building to recommend a wheel or a size but that turbo will be flexible enough to warrant just about any engine configuration. i would personally skip on the ball bearing option, yes it will spool a hair quicker but for the money it will not be worth it for several reasons. If the time would ever arise that you would need to rebuild it they are far more expensive to do so, also you dont make any more power nor do you have any lag when you are racing.

Manifold- The Revhard is probably the best of any major kit manufacturer but it does have its flaws. The most disturbing is the fact that the wastegate only draws from 1 cylinder and not at the collector where it is optimal. South Florida Performance has a nice manifold that works very well and it is priced well. Plus you can get any wastegate flange you want on it unlike the Revhard, DRAG, and F-Max where you choices are limited to only a few manufactures and only in 35mm sizes. Just a hint, the SFP manifold is interchangable with a DRAG manifold, everything will line up perfectly.

Wastegate- Definantly go external, it will give you more ajustability and power. I would recommend a 35mm Tial or Deltagate if you plan to stay under 300 hp or a Racegate if you plan to make a good bit more. There are many companies out there and they are all decent just dont go smaller than 40mm if you really plan to boost high or youll have major boost creep.

BOV- I love my HKS Super Sequential, some like the BLitz. Its all a matter of taste. As long as it blows off it will work. Vortech, Turbonetics, Turbo XS, RFL and Greddy are a few names

Downpipe and intercooling piping- hope you have a good welder. If not you can buy a set of piping from DRAG (try Importparts.com they can hook you up with the set) As for the downpipe they arent that hard to make.

Intercooler- Spearcos are probably the best. There are a million companies that make them though. Spearco has a million different designs and sizes so youll definantly be able to find one that fits.

Fuel system- I would go with a basic standalone (Hondata, Power FC) and get some large injectors. Definantly upgrade the pump to at least a 255lph intank and if making over 400 hp id replace the factory lines and get an external pump. The FMU approach will work with lower boost levels but i dont recommend it.

i would call importparts.com and tell tham what you want to do and they can hook you up. Try reading some articles on Honda-tech.com in the forced induction forum. There are a ton of informative posts in there.
Old 05-18-2002, 12:41 PM   #4
thermal
Banning Machine

boosted3g pretty much covered everything. i would like to emphasize on the ball bearing turbos. i'm with boosted on this one. Tial wastegate is probably one of the best out there. to be honest with you, i think that putting a turbo set-up together is better. you can control every aspect of efficiency. if i can do it again, i would go custom route. piping is not a problem. stop by Meineke and they can give you the pipe size and bent that you need. i do not know how it is over there in CO. but almost every import shop here in Virginia beach makes custom exhaust manifold , it's pretty cool for a small city. Lastly, be careful if you decide to buy a "kit". some kits may require you to take the A/C off your car........just a few inputs for you. goodluck and keep us posted.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 12:46 PM   #5
thermal
Banning Machine

oh.....another thing i forgot to mention, on your initial planning, i would highly recommend that you include a turbo timer, a/f ratio or EGT gauge, and a boost gauge. these are good investment. the gauges will help you monitor the efficiency of your set-up.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote