::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2002, 02:08 AM   #1
accord98lx

Indiglo Gauges

Anyone know where I can find "How-to" on installin reverse indiglos gauges on a 6th gen accord?
Old 12-11-2002, 02:10 AM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Hmm... I used to have one but I lost all of my bookmarks awhile ago. What do you need help with?

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 09:08 AM   #3
DjFrost

Hmmm ain't it simple??? I thought it was!! I am planning on doing it soon
Old 12-11-2002, 10:39 AM   #4
accord98lx

My cousin is gettin me indiglos for christmas and I just want to see how hard is it to put it on. Im worried I might screw something up like mess up my odometer reading or drop something while in the process of removing the gauges.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:50 AM   #5
allaboutaccordz

on a 4th gen it is easy, but really involved...it took me a few hours (cafefully) to finish it, but overall an easy and sweet project.

Old 12-11-2002, 01:01 PM   #6
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by accord98lx
My cousin is gettin me indiglos for christmas and I just want to see how hard is it to put it on. Im worried I might screw something up like mess up my odometer reading or drop something while in the process of removing the gauges.

You can't mess with the odometer, don't worry about it. My advice is to carefully slide the gauges over the needles. Never remove or move the needles. If one gets bumped, gently slide it back to where it was before hooking the clutster up again.

Old 12-11-2002, 01:52 PM   #7
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

you have to pop up the vents and the sunroof, cruise control and the dimmer. the screws are hidden there. to make it easier remove the steering colum cover too, then the cluster should be held in place by some more screws. remove those too and the harnesses.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 06:33 PM   #8
accord98lx

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
you have to pop up the vents and the sunroof, cruise control and the dimmer. the screws are hidden there. to make it easier remove the steering colum cover too, then the cluster should be held in place by some more screws. remove those too and the harnesses.

Lol.....was reading 94's post and sounded simple enough....then I saw urs ...I dont have a sunroof..I dont have a dimmer either ..i have the cruise control button tho. When You say "pop up" the vents...what exactly do u mean? Do you mean those vents arent being held down by screws so I can just somehow push them out or something?
Old 12-11-2002, 07:04 PM   #9
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Lol.....was reading 94's post and sounded simple enough....then I saw urs ...I dont have a sunroof..I dont have a dimmer either ..i have the cruise control button tho. When You say "pop up" the vents...what exactly do u mean? Do you mean those vents arent being held down by screws so I can just somehow push them out or something?

Taking apart your interior is fairly simple. In my car, I have to start with the center console and work my way over. Get yourself a Haynes or Helms manual and you'll be set.

Old 12-11-2002, 07:55 PM   #10
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

haynes does not explain at all how to remove the interior pieces. get a helms.

Old 12-11-2002, 08:58 PM   #11
SilvaAccord

6th gen

http://www.accordcompany.com/howto-indiglo.php
Old 12-11-2002, 11:08 PM   #12
accord98lx

Thanks Guys! Im going to try this all by myself. And If It doesnt work out, I can always call my cousin's boyfriend to help me...he knows alot of these stuff.

Btw..is there a possibility that the wiring harness will drop during the process of removing the cluster, so low that its impossible to reach?
Old 12-11-2002, 11:22 PM   #13
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

nope

Old 12-11-2002, 11:40 PM   #14
SilvaAccord

nope that stuff is really tight to drop off
Old 01-07-2003, 12:47 AM   #15
accord98lx

K guys I finally got the god damn reverse indiglo. And I decided that I am going to do it myself! but first a few more questions.

http://www.accordcompany.com/howto-indiglo.php
On Step 10-13 I think that dude removed a dash board under the steering wheels for easier access to all those eletrical stuff. How do I remove the dash board?? I tried to pop them off but is there a screw somewhere?

When install the gauges, I HAVE to move the needles a lil bit, is that ok? As long I put it back to the same place where it was, ex. fuel level and temperature gauge?

On step 13, do I just stick the red wire in there?

More questions after this!!
Old 01-07-2003, 01:25 AM   #16
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well dude look under the steering wheels cover and see a bunch of holes with screws in them. just unscrew those and you will be all set

Old 01-07-2003, 10:28 PM   #17
accord98lx

U guys help me, I finished installin the gauges but theres no light yet because I didnt connect the eletrical wire. can you guys please tell me exactly where to connect my indiglo gauges wire!! I dont know about u guys but my gauges came wit a inverter switch . Im guesing Im suppose to connect by gauges wire to the inverter switch because it seems that way.

then after the end of the inverter, theres a red wire and a black wire. Where am I suppose to put these in??
Old 01-07-2003, 11:13 PM   #18
accord98lx

Help I dont know what the black and red wires go or how to "tap" it into the red wire or the ground wire. Its just not indiglo w/o the glows!
Old 01-07-2003, 11:25 PM   #19
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i tapped into one of the dash lights so they would come on when i turn the lights on.

Old 01-07-2003, 11:34 PM   #20
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
i tapped into one of the dash lights so they would come on when i turn the lights on.

Yeah

Don't tap into the dimmer though because people have problems with that.

Old 01-07-2003, 11:54 PM   #21
accord98lx

I really appreciate all of your help but Im not gonna stop asking questions till this is done guys.

Where do I tap into the "dash lights" and how do I "tap" into it. Just let it be known, my inverter is my powerbox I guess. It has 1 red wire and 1 black.

thanks.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:05 AM   #22
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Tap = splice into the line. Cut out a section of insulation, wrap the wire around, and solder. If you really don't want to solder, just make a good split wind and tape it up.

Black goes to ground. I don't remember where I grounded it....

Old 01-08-2003, 12:21 AM   #23
accord98lx

Ok so far this is what I know. The red will have to splice into the dash lights. Where is this dash light wire..I see tons of wires.

The ground wire (black) I think I might know where to put it. I think i have to buy wire connectors for this.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:52 AM   #24
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Hmm... there isn't a single dash light wire, many will work, but if you're unsure, use a multimeter to test before you hook them up.

Maybe stefan has an idea for the ground. What kind of wire connector would you need?

Old 01-08-2003, 01:56 AM   #25
accord98lx

What DOES a ground wire do anyway? If the red is the power source, what the hell is a ground wire? Sorry Im noob.

I saw a bunch of wires connected to this metal with a ring connector. So I think this is where I should connect the black wire. SO I think I need a ring connector for the black wire and connect it in here....I THINk!! if wrong correct me now before I do something retarded or better yet, YOU tell me where to connect it!

And for the red wire, I want to tap it in the parking light. I dont know which wire the parking light is to tap in.
Old 01-08-2003, 02:43 AM   #26
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well on mine i tapped int the wires of one of the lights that iluminate the odometer. it's behind the cluster, and had wires running to the top of the cluster for bulbs that illuminate the gauges. since i had to disable those bulbs i used that wire. i don't remember if the gauges were polarity dependent or not.

Old 01-08-2003, 09:38 PM   #27
accord98lx

Guys, I really want to tap into the parking light or dash lights. Where are these wires?

And I think I might use the alligator wires to connect the ground to a piece of metal.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:48 PM   #28
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Guys, I really want to tap into the parking light or dash lights. Where are these wires?

And I think I might use the alligator wires to connect the ground to a piece of metal.

Find a light in your dash and follow the wire. That's all there is to it. You might want to disable the lights in your cluster while you're at it.

DO NOT just use an alligator clip to ground. It will fall off in time. Find a bolt on an unpainted surface, or find another ground wire.

Old 01-08-2003, 09:56 PM   #29
ifeldwn02
3rd Gear

just be careful with the needles i have friend that broke 1 it was going to cost over 100 just to fix it
ifeldwn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 10:01 PM   #30
accord98lx

Quote:
well on mine i tapped int the wires of one of the lights that iluminate the odometer. it's behind the cluster, and had wires running to the top of the cluster for bulbs that illuminate the gauges. since i had to disable those bulbs i used that wire. i don't remember if the gauges were polarity dependent or not.

Why did u have to disable the bulbs in the cluster?

I saw the exact things u saw, is this where I want to tap my red wires into?
Old 01-08-2003, 11:54 PM   #31
accord98lx

So Far as I see it, its not worth having indiglo gauges. It might be easy for some people to install for me, but its a pain in the ass for me.

I installed it yesterday and today, the needle stopped moving so I guess I didnt glue the gauges down enough. took em out, glued them again. Few hours later, the needle stop moving again. I am going to take this god damn indiglo gauges out and install them maybe 1 month later after I learn how to connect these god damn wires. I have no idea whatsoever to do these kinda stuff. Just my 2 cents.

Appreciate the help guys.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:04 AM   #32
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Why did u have to disable the bulbs in the cluster?

I saw the exact things u saw, is this where I want to tap my red wires into?

because on my car the cluster was iluminated from the the ouside, actually the light was falling on the gauges, making you think that the lines and numbers lit up. if you don't disable those lights you won't be able to see the glow from the gauges. i don't know how the cluster works on the 6th gen accord.

Old 01-09-2003, 01:45 AM   #33
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
So Far as I see it, its not worth having indiglo gauges. It might be easy for some people to install for me, but its a pain in the ass for me.

I installed it yesterday and today, the needle stopped moving so I guess I didnt glue the gauges down enough. took em out, glued them again. Few hours later, the needle stop moving again. I am going to take this god damn indiglo gauges out and install them maybe 1 month later after I learn how to connect these god damn wires. I have no idea whatsoever to do these kinda stuff. Just my 2 cents.

Appreciate the help guys.

Wait. First of all, you shouldn't have moved the needles at all. You have the bend the gauges to slide them over. I just screwed my gauges and used thin double sided tape, no glue!

You found the wire, so tap into it. All you have to do is make good contact and tape it up to keep it simple. Strip a portion off of the wire to tap into, wrap the indiglo gauge pos. wire around it securely, etc. Have you ever done stereo work or anything? Same idea.

I don't know ground points in your car, etc. but I'm sure it isn't THAT hard to find them. Follow the black wire on other components to see if it goes to ground.

Do you have a digi cam? Maybe you could snap a pic of what you're having trouble with.

Old 01-09-2003, 01:55 AM   #34
accord98lx

Whenever I move the needles, it slides back into place back at 0. It has like a little mini-hydralic system of it owns. I cant expain it. But its IMPOSSIBLE to put in the gauges w/o touching the needle. I'll take a pix of this to show you why.

I finally FOUND the parkin lights wire and bulbs. It was where hondamaniac said it was. I also found where the ground wires are. Its a bunch of wires with a ring tongue or spade connector attached to this metal stuff. So I bought me some ring tongues. So is this where I strip the black wire and put it in the ring tongue and crimp it and attach it to the same place right.

By the way, how do I attach pictures here?
Old 01-09-2003, 02:00 AM   #35
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Whenever I move the needles, it slides back into place back at 0. It has like a little mini-hydralic system of it owns. I cant expain it. But its IMPOSSIBLE to put in the gauges w/o touching the needle. I'll take a pix of this to show you why.

I finally FOUND the parkin lights wire and bulbs. It was where hondamaniac said it was. I also found where the ground wires are. Its a bunch of wires with a ring tongue or spade connector attached to this metal stuff. So I bought me some ring tongues. So is this where I strip the black wire and put it in the ring tongue and crimp it and attach it to the same place right.

By the way, how do I attach pictures here?

You attach pics using the attach file part when you hit the reply button. They have to be a certain size that I don't remember right now.

I realize you have to slightly touch the needles, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Well if you found the power wires and you found the ground wires, it sounds like you're set then. Ring tongues are fine, just make sure to crimp well.

Old 01-10-2003, 02:07 AM   #36
accord98lx

ITS DONE!!

Ok guys Its done, I hope the pix works. By the way, the pix a lil bit low quality, its more brighter then this (My camera has flash but I dont know how to turn it on).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cnxt0069.jpg (37.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 01-10-2003, 02:13 AM   #37
accord98lx

I would like to thanks all those who helped me, Especially 94_Accord_ex and Hondamaniac!!! Appreciate it very much!
Old 01-10-2003, 02:40 AM   #38
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

I just typed out a long response, but my network froze up and I had to restart :o

Anyway, they look really sweet! I knew you could do it. Sorry I couldn't be more specific about wiring and stuff.

So was it worth all the trouble?

Old 01-10-2003, 07:26 AM   #39
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

looks dope dude. where did u hook the wires up ?

Old 01-10-2003, 01:24 PM   #40
accord98lx

It will be only worth it If I dont have to take it out if the needle is stuck again. So far so good.

I tapped the red wires to the little light bulb on top of the cluster. Had a hard time stripping that wire so I used a knife It had 2 wires and I guess I was lucky I chose the right one. Btw..those 2 wires that goes to the 2 bulb on top the cluster, thats not the dimmer right? (just wanna be safe, but I think those were the stock lights that lit up the gauges at night)

Btw, its a mess below the steering wheel Im going to tape all those wires together and tape them somewhere. And I dont know where to put the inverter..still hanging under the dashboard..lol

And I got shocked by the inverter, I was trying to change the color then I accidently touched the wires in the back...wowser that felt weird..tape those exposed wires up.

Overall I felt proud...when i saw it lit up. Its all worth it.....maybe...for god sake, I really hope I dont have to take it out again to glue it!!! If glue doesnt work, Im gonna have to spend 4 bucks on doublesided tape.;