::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > New Kid on the Block
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2006, 12:25 PM   #1
romyrome2005

D16Z6 valvetrain upgrade

Hi guys, how y'all doin? i have a very noob question, i'm new to the scene i have a stock 1995 honda civic ex ,D16Z6 engine, and i was wondering how can i make the engine stronger, you know occasional stoplight racing here and there...but im not redlining it...(it has approximately 150,000+) miles, so i was wondering what should i do with the motor to handle that kind of stress...
thanks
romyrome2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:25 PM   #2
IALuder

rebuild it. clean it. no need to upgrade the head if it nots going to be a "track" car.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 05:06 PM   #3
romyrome2005

thanks for the reply, man. i'm new to the forum and i can see that you've been here for a long time now......are you racing on the track ? what do you think is the safest RPM in my D16?...man, i can see you have one of the best answers here so do you mind giving me tips on my engine?? lol...i just wanna run stock for now but i wanna make sure that my engine could take all the beating.....
Old 08-24-2006, 05:13 PM   #4
romyrome2005

oh an when you mean rebuild the engine you mean change the rod, piston, and rings? so its better to put aftermarket parts right? ....and for the cleaning part, no idea. bear with me, man..lol
Old 08-24-2006, 08:59 PM   #5
AkimboStylee

I had a d16a6 motor in my hatch (stock with just an intake) andi was running it to redline and put close to 120,000 on it before failure(bought it with 110,0 and ran it until 230,000 miles on it) they are tough little motors
Old 08-24-2006, 09:58 PM   #6
IALuder

i got a 110 on my 95 ex right now. its god i/h/e. i take it to redline and race it on stock head parts and internals. but then agian its not my track car. it more a DD.

rebuilding is pretty much make sure the internals and head work are still good. with the usuall wear and tear. you can replace them if you prefer with aftermarket OE stuff. like i siad no point in spending the money to build a beast of a car when your just DD it.

cleaning can be done at more machine shops. they sand beat it and polich the block and check for scratchs in the cylinder walls ect. to do this it cost a little over 200 bucks.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:24 PM   #7
romyrome2005

nice. okay, so i'll probably will have a shop perform a port and polish, so can i see a difference after i had this done? what will this do to my engine? ....i'm not planning to redline it so hopefully it can last longer....btw, how long can a d16z6 engine last anyway? you know, without redlining it?
Old 08-24-2006, 11:45 PM   #8
IALuder

dude i had a civic put 260K on it before blowing up. the longtivity of the engine last in how the maintance is done. oil change every 3K, not beatin up, change the belts on time. ect. itll last as long as you want. it all comes down to you.

for the PNP, that its nessacary. just tell them to clean it. itll cost less. more work going into a port n polish. becuase they are making the ports bigger which isnt that good for a stock motor.

just disassemble it and make sure everything kosher. see what i mean. if something is beat up or woren out replace it. but honestly i dont see you need to do anything. just keep up on maintance.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:05 AM   #9
romyrome2005

nice! thanks a lot, man. btw i think my clutch is about to go out....when i press on the clutch, i can feel and hear it clicking.(its not smooth in other words)....plus, when im starting at first gear it kind shakes a lot when not given enough gas...ever experienced this with your ex?

-what kind of intake are you using on your ex? brand? how was it? i think i want to have hp and torque gain at the bottom end...just to be safe...lol

-i think you're the only one interested in answering my questions..lol
Old 08-25-2006, 12:41 AM   #10
AkimboStylee

as for an intake, just go with an ebay special intake, and buy a k&n filter(conical)
Old 08-25-2006, 02:22 AM   #11
IALuder

^agreed, it all intakes are maxuim of a small 2-4hp gian. i dont recommend CAI. they have a deal with sucking water into the engine bay and ruining a good running motor. IE my prelude. if you want to gain low end power free up exhuast as well. get header and exhuast. i recommend APexi WS2 Exhuast for the quite but yet good gians.

the intake in my EX is a akimoto RAI with aem filter.

clutch problems sucks. seeing how its a DD get buy a stage 1. itll engage smooth and a little quicker.

Old 08-25-2006, 10:02 AM   #12
romyrome2005

when you mean exhaust, you mean the whole system, right? i'm considering to buy just a magnaflow muffler,,,would that be enough to just buy the muffler or the whole system??? w/o the pipes, and stuff, would that be acceptable? oh i won't have it welded, just bolted,,,
-plus i don't want it to sound ricey...just deep and won't sound stock.....
Old 08-25-2006, 03:08 PM   #13
IALuder

if you buyjust a muffler your hurting your car more then helping it. the axle back aka muffler will not do anything but make your car sound worse and annoying.

the WS2 from Apexi is more of a stock sounding exhuast, but yet it yeilds gains over stock. it increase the piping size for better air flow. plus its stianless steel so you dont have to worrie about rust! i also recommend getting a high flow cat from carsound.

Old 04-12-2020, 03:37 PM   #14
fertooos

rebuild it. clean it. no need to upgrade the head if it nots going to be a "track" car.
fertooos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:57 AM   #15
TimmyHollins

A track car's a track car, no matter if it's new or refurbished. You just have to make do with the performance.
TimmyHollins is offline   Reply With Quote