.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Electronics/Sound/Security Systems
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2002, 08:19 PM   #1
91civ_hb

how do i wire up an interior accessory light?

i have an interior black light i wanna wire up. 1 positive and 1 negative wire make up the connections. it says the red wire is the positive and the black negative, but the wires aren't red and black, there clear and clear with a white stripe. a friend told me to put the positive wire in a fuse (in my case a 10amp left headlight fuse) and put the negative wire on a bolt on the body (or any other ground). question 1: is this the proper way to wire up my light? i put the clear wire in the fuse hole, stuck the fuse in it, and took the clear-stripe wire and touched it to a bolt on the body. i turned the lights on and the light didn't shine, but the light came on. i checked for the correct fuse...it's the right one. so, i did the opposite...took the other wire, put it in the fuse gap, stuck the fuse in, touched the other wire to the bolt, turned the headlights on, and still no blacklight. am i going about this in the right way? what the f- am i doin' wrong?
Old 10-01-2002, 10:04 PM   #2
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

The one with the stripe is your negative. Don't worry about a fuse.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 02:57 AM   #3
BrandonClaps

definatly use a fuse.... i don't understand what your talking about with the pushing it in to the fuse? just get a regular inline fuse from autozone and only run it on the wire with no stripe, for a ground check the drivers side kick panel....
Old 10-04-2002, 01:28 PM   #4
blind34_1

If you don't want to worry about a fuse, I'd say just do this:

- mount your neon wherever you want it.

- run the wire through your carpet or whatever. Chop off those ciggerate plugs, you dont need nor want them.

- run the wire to your center console, or whereever your cig lighter wiring is.

- your cig lighter has two wires going to it. One will be black. this is ground. the other should be red of some degree. this is pos.

- go to menards or wherever and pick up these plastic wire connectors. Basically they have two holes surrounded by plastic. One hole (hole 1)goes completely through and the other one stops halfway (hole2). The wire you want to splice into (pos)goes into hole 1, while the positive wire to your neon goes into hole2. Crimp down on the connector and now you have a nice neat connection. (I don't remember what these are called? taps? wire tap? I don't know, somebody else know what these are called?

- the positive wire to your neon I think is the one with the stripe.

- take the other neon wire and crimp a horseshoe connector on it. Loosen a bolt that isn't too important and slip your connector in there. tighten the bolt. this is ground.

- If your not sure, look at your cig lighter assembly. the middle wire is 12v pos. The wire that comes off of the sheath (black wire) is ground. Use that if you can't find bare metal.

- turn your car inot accessory mode and your neons should work. if not check connections, and check the switch on your neon.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote