::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Interior Modifications
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2002, 11:20 AM   #1
HoOn

Indiglo Gauge Installation for Accord

Hello! I have a 94 Accord LX and I was wondering if it is pretty dificult to install the indiglo gauges? Is it time consuming? I would imagine it is more time consuming then hard but I don't know. I really need to get the Helms book for my car to help me out. =)
Old 02-20-2002, 11:32 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

the most time consouming is to get the cluster out. you need to get that plastic thing around your dash out, then the cluster. The screws are hidden behind the vents and ish like that. I have no clue on how to remove that thing 'cause i never worked on a 5th gen yet. Another biatch to take out are the harnesses that go from the ecu to the cluster. Yep your best bet is the helms.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 01:53 PM   #3
Whtehnda93DXSdn
It has 4 Doors...

A helms would be highly recommended for sure. I'm sure someone on here has a step by step instruction for it. I just don't know a DIY for it currently on the net. I'll keep looking

it should just be a simple process but taking your time to ensure all is properly done would be advised.

Good luck....
Old 02-21-2002, 02:14 AM   #4
azn_nite_ryder

well its pretty EZ.. the only real difficult part is not to break the needle or remove it..... once those are done you pretty much have to buy a new cluster.. and you woulndt want that to happen
Old 02-28-2002, 01:11 AM   #5
HoOn

Anyone know of a HOW-TO for a 5gen Accord on the web?? =)
Old 03-04-2002, 01:52 PM   #6
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

To be honest with you...it's not too too hard....a friend and me did mine in my civic...just be careful...if your not too too sure about it...ask a professional installer to help you...most likely they will....new clusters are Friggen expensive, and you don't want to be buying one...or wrecking your gauges.

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 12:12 PM   #7
HoOn

How fast or long do you think it will take? A rough estimate will be fine. I just want to know so I can plan a morning or an afternoon this weekend. =)
Old 03-29-2002, 12:58 PM   #8
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by catral
How fast or long do you think it will take? A rough estimate will be fine. I just want to know so I can plan a morning or an afternoon this weekend. =)

Since you've never done it before, and I don't know if you've taken apart your dash before, maybe 2-3 hours is what I'd guess. Maybe a little more if you take your time.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 11:26 PM   #9
HoOn

One more question... I am installing mine tomorrow so I want to make sure but when you guys installed the gauges did you disconnect the battery?
Old 03-29-2002, 11:58 PM   #10
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Its one of those things. When dealing with the electrical system, you really should take the extra 10 seconds and disconnect it to be safe.

Old 03-30-2002, 02:00 AM   #11
azn_nite_ryder

you should just to be on the safe side.. but either way you'll be fine.... same thing as saying do you use grounding straps when installing something or removeing something for your computer..... its fine..
Old 03-30-2002, 02:29 AM   #12
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

it took me 1.5 hrs to take everything apart, install the gauges and put it all toghether. No i did not disconect the battery when i did it and everything went fine, but it might be just my luck.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 10:02 PM   #13
HoOn

Okay I finally did it! Its awesome!! Thanks guys for the support. OKay it took me quite awhile because I was taking my time and enjoying it. I was able to also clean out dirt from places I couldnt reach before. Its not that bad. Next time I can say that it would just take me about an hour or less to do everything. I left some screws off so I can take it apart eaasily next time.

I only have the regular Indiglos so if I get bored with them I can easily put the reverse indiglos in.

One thing though, I connected the the red wire to the red/black wire of the dimmer. I shouldnt do that.. Im gonna tap into the green hardness' red/black wire instead just to be safe right?
Old 04-11-2002, 10:00 AM   #14
ShEaNy

heh ur lucky when i put mine in my speedometer wouldn't move and thats after i put everything back together so i did it again and realized the needle was to close and wouldn't move so i shaved it a bit yup that screwed up everything... now i need a new cluster and new gauges and i'm never doing anything to my car again my myself LOL
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 02:39 PM   #15
MyCivic

What happens when a paid installer removes the needles to install the gauge faces? Now my gas and temp gauges don't work and the speedo is off several mph. Is there a way to fix them or do I need new gauges?
Old 04-13-2002, 03:10 PM   #16
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MyCivic
What happens when a paid installer removes the needles to install the gauge faces? Now my gas and temp gauges don't work and the speedo is off several mph. Is there a way to fix them or do I need new gauges?

Welcome to HS. When a paid installer breaks the cluster, go back to them and demand that they fix it. I'd try that first for sure. They can't be fixed usually.

Old 04-13-2002, 03:32 PM   #17
MyCivic

Thanks for the reply. That was my first thought. Looks like this installer should have done his home work. He has done good work in the past, but gauges must be a weak area.
Old 04-13-2002, 04:11 PM   #18
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Yeah, not everyone knows how to do everything. Does the installer know that he broke the needles when he installed the gauges?

Old 04-13-2002, 04:59 PM   #19
MyCivic

Not yet. I wanted to be armed with information before going back and talking with him. I'm going by the shop next week to see him about the broken gauges.

What does removing the needles do to the gauges? Are they pre loaded with tension or something?

Thanks again for the information.
Old 04-13-2002, 07:20 PM   #20
ShEaNy

well when u put the gauges in there usually three layers..and that makes it thicker around the needle..so when u take the needle out u can sorta make sure the gauges isn't touching the needle .. cause like mine that happened and they didn't work cause the needle was touching and wouldn't move..i also broke my engine temp gauge while i was at it..
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote