::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Hybrid
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2002, 08:12 PM   #1
'00EX5-turbo

b-series with d-series turbo setup?

as u know that i have the greddy kit in my 2000 ex(d16). if i m gonna swap in a b16b(civic typeR motor, the shop in hayward says that i can have it for $4k plus $800 labor) or any b-series motors, can i still put my old turbo kit on the new engine? i know it wont fit right, but with some ajustments(like benting the pipes), will it fit?

or should i just sell the kit and get a new kit later?

thanx!
Old 09-08-2002, 02:50 PM   #2
kickuaround

sell the kit and go custom. by the way.....you don't need a ctr. go ls/vtec
Old 09-08-2002, 03:10 PM   #3
'00EX5-turbo

or is it better to spend all the swap-motor-money to rebuild the d16 bottom end?
Old 09-11-2002, 08:00 PM   #4
slowEJ6

why would you get a b16b just to put a turbo on it? waste of time/money.....
$800 for labor? thats a nice ripoff.
get a b18c1 instead.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 12:15 AM   #5
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

so far no one has answered the question...which I too wonder. Will a D series turbo setup work on the B series engine w/ some minor adjustments
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 01:28 AM   #6
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

You would need a new manifold. Personally, I think the CTR compression is too high to run a respectable amount of boost.

D series engines are great for FI. No overlap means no blowby. If I were you, I'd build your D series for turbo and run 16-20 psi. For 4K, you could bore, sleeve, port/polish, and get new rods, pistons, pistons, springs, retainers, and cams.

B16B on 8 psi max before it starts detonating, or a bored out D16 running 20 psi. Seems like an easy decision to me.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 11:53 AM   #7
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by hybrid3do0rcx
why would you get a b16b just to put a turbo on it? waste of time/money.....
$800 for labor? thats a nice ripoff.
get a b18c1 instead.
my thoughts exactly. the b18c1 will be about 1k cheaper... get some turbo cams and sell your manifold and buy a b18 manifold.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 08:19 AM   #8
Integra221

You definatly should'nt turbo a civic type r motor. The compression is way too high. You could only run about 4 psi before detonating. I know this for a fact because i know that ITR motors can only handle about 4 psi before the piston rings fry. As for the turbo kit fitting you would need a new exhaust manifold. The b18c1 is also a waste of money if you are going to go turbo. 3200 grand for a motor not even meant to be turbo. You could only run about 7 psi safely on a b18c1 compression is also too high for turbo on this motor. Your best bet is to get a CRV motor for 1200 and turbo that. then you have 4600 left to play with to build the crv motor. You would have a lot more torque and could run a lot more boost on this motor. As for the building up the D16 dont even waste your time.
Old 10-07-2002, 02:05 PM   #9
slowEJ6

B18C1 is a waste of money? oooook! its not "meant" to be turbo. neither is any other honda motor that doesnt come with a turbo. thats the point, you add it.
yeah the cr is higher on a b18c1, but you run 7psi, you'll be making more power than the B20 will @ 10psi.
lowering the CR = less power = increase boost to make up for it and well.....the B20B/Z isnt known for its massive amounts of hp.
and $1200?
ive never seen them going for that cheap w/ transmission and LS intake manifold.

so lets say hes got about $5k to spend.
B18C1 and new turbo manifold would probably run about $3500 total.
still have plenty to spend.
its not really a waste of money as the Integra guy stated, it just depends if you want to build up the motor or not.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 08:18 AM   #10
Integra221

Umm you may be able to get the motor for about 3200. But thats without shipping. So you say 3400 with shipping pluse exhaust manifold thats about 3800. Now you have to consider that he has a D series motor and your putting a b series in it.
Mounts 450
Shift Linkage 100
Wiring 100
Labor 800

so your actually looking at about 5000
Old 10-27-2002, 05:01 PM   #11
Dr Drew

The all around best honda engine to boost in it's stock form is the B18C1. The compression is NOT by ANY means to high for boost. IMO it is perfect for the street. I wouldn't boost a CTR motor. Not by any means saying that it can't be done, but the compression is higher, meaning race gas will have to be used all the time. The cams have 243 degrees of duration compaired to the 230 of the C1 and 240 of the ITR. The duration will aid to spool a turbo on the street but result in to much blowby in the the higher revs. I agree with slow ej6 100 %. And yes, with a new piping and a new manifold you kit should work on the B series, not sure about the Computer though. I think you should sell your greddy kit and pick up a Revhard stage II. The t3/t4 has considerably more potential than the td04 that comes with the greddy D16 kit.
Old 10-31-2002, 09:46 AM   #12
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by Integra221
Umm you may be able to get the motor for about 3200. But thats without shipping. So you say 3400 with shipping pluse exhaust manifold thats about 3800. Now you have to consider that he has a D series motor and your putting a b series in it.
Mounts 450
Shift Linkage 100
Wiring 100
Labor 800

so your actually looking at about 5000

hrm... someones nailing you on prices big time, you need to do more research before posting prices up
http://www.jdmclub.com/pricing.html# $2950 for a obd1 b18c SHIPPED with ecu and for $300 more, you get a LSD already in the tranny, do a little custom wiring harness work, convert it to OBD1 with easy which will be better in the long run, or buy the skunk2 kit and sell the ecu the engine has with it on ebay for almost the price you got the skunk2 for, shift linkage dosnt bolt up? has on every d-serise swap ive done. wringing? 100 bucks=rapage, theres like 2 wires you need to add, labor=800???!?! pick up a engine lift some beer and a few friends, its a 8 hours job max. b18c1 turbo manifold = 450 for a GOOD one. final cost 4000 or so with the turbo installed. if i was in the that situation, i wouldnt even give it a second thought, IMO type-r engines=OVERRATED and a complete waist if your going FI. you can even re-sell your turbo manifold and make some money back

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote