.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions > Battle of the Sexes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2004, 06:41 PM   #1
spoogenet

Diamonds?

Ok, the diamonds thing is just pissing me off. "You know what she wants." blah blah blah blah blah. I've never understood the whole diamonds thing.....if girls like them so much because they're pretty, then a cubic zirconium should suffice just the same. If girls like them because they're expensive, well let's just say there's plenty of other expensive things that aren't sold by debeers. So what gives?

Do you like diamonds? And why?

b
Old 03-08-2004, 06:49 PM   #2
Wren57

Diamonds suck. Yeah, I want to spend thousands of dollars on a rock because it is shiny? Am I missing something? Oh yeah, I am. Women see diamonds as status symbols, and want to wear them so that they feel "better" than everyone else by being in a "higher class", because they have the means to have diamonds. Not all women are like this, but many are (including many in my family). As I said about flowers, if I am going to buy a woman something, it will be something useful and lasting, not something stupid and without purpose.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:10 PM   #3
B16DoHcCrx033003
4th Gear

my sister is obsessed iwth diamonds.... she spends thousands on them... i dunno why... its a rock...
B16DoHcCrx033003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 08:20 PM   #4
Fatal070

o god how about the commercials right before a holiday i mean really, is it nessasarroy....
Old 03-08-2004, 09:10 PM   #5
DsBlu01CivEX

My take on jewelry in general is...if I can't wear it in my ears, on my toes, or around my neck, I don't wear it. As for diamonds...I used to not like them all that much. I thought they were kinda blah, but now the only earrings I wear are 1 pair of 1/4k diamond studs and a 1/2k CZ stud (I'm working on saving for a real pair of 1/2k). But I like to buy my own jewelry....other than an engagement ring, I wouldn't want my man to buy me jewelry....or maybe an opal (it's my birthstone and I'm completely obsessed with them....but like I said, I like to buy my own.)

http://www.myspace.com/kenike
DsBlu01CivEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 09:44 PM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i dunno, some subtle smaller one look pretty good to me. it's the freaking big ones that look nasty to my eyes.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 10:31 PM   #7
4doorspeedman

Ok i have to quote Larry the cable guy on this one " debears is finaly getting close to being truthfull in their advertising this year it is "Diamonds render her speechless" why dont they just come out and say it "Diamonds that'll shut ur up.......fer a minute"

now that im done. my old gf was real into jewlery but hey im, 18 and addicted to cars so i dont have a ton of exposable income so for christams i got her a pearl neclace, but diamonds they are over priced and over rated if a girl needs you to spend a whole lot o money on her to feel you care then get your self a new girl
Old 03-09-2004, 05:40 PM   #8
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Blech...diamonds. "Look at me...I've got a shiny hunk of rock that used to be coal on my finger". If you're with a girl who wants a diamond engagement ring, dump her. It shouldn't matter what you get her so long as you maintain the commitment it symbolizes. Hell...my brother bought his soon-to-be ex wife a diamond ring for their wedding. He's still paying it off and she's out the door. Granted...he only bought it 9 months ago.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 06:07 PM   #9
ShagginJet

I've bought two diamonds in my life. One was for a fiancee, got it back when we broke up, $1300. The other was for this girl I was dating. We were breaking up and I wanted to get her something so that she'd never forget me. got her this nice $400 buck necklace. She called me a while back and said she wears it often, especially when she's thinking about me... BLAH!

Only plan to buy one more... that'll be the last. Not sure what I'm going to do with the ring i have. What do you do with a $1100 diamond...?

http://63.249.135.19/hdrive/car/index.htm
ShagginJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 07:36 PM   #10
vtracer20

hey u know what....this diamond shit also pisses me off...society today is sooo fucking full of it that they believe that love is in a piece of rock, i say FUCK that, true love is no in what u give the other person it's something wayyyyy more than that, if a give tells me she wants a diamond for hey b-day i'll tell her to hit the fucking road...buy yourself one, i dont need to pay for your love
Old 03-09-2004, 08:48 PM   #11
spoogenet

I don't have a problem with a girl liking diamonds because they're pretty, everybody has their own tastes. But to the naked eye, a decent CZ is just as good as a real diamond.....

The diamond commercials piss me off sooooooooooooooo much. "You know what she wants" or "show her you love her" Sheot, I'm thinking....if you need me to buy you a frikking diamond ring, at any cost, to believe I love you....you gots real big problems. What about the "you know what he wants"?????

It's just like Valentine's day.....the general trend is an emphasis on the man pleasing the woman. What a nice ideal, but it should be mutual. Damn Hallmark bastards!

b
Old 03-09-2004, 08:53 PM   #12
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by spoogenet
.....the general trend is an emphasis on the man pleasing the woman. ...

b

well if you don't you knopw the couch should be pretty comfy

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 10:49 PM   #13
ohiochica

ok i am really hating diamonds and pearls!

why? cuz i was dating this guy, thought everything was going well i was quite happy he seemed to be too. well for my birthday he buys me a gorgeous diamond and pearl ring. totally stunning! never expected it! (he is well off so it was like aguy buying a shirt)
anyways......2 days later we break up! now everytime i see that ring i am reminded of how heart broken i was. i mean i dont want him back because he is not ready (wife died) but i still feel that heart broken feeling when i see that ring. yes i kept it because it was given to me for my birthday.

anyways,,,,,,,,,,,diamonds and pearsl suck !!!!!!!!!!

oh another story, my cousin said no when her hubby asked her to marry him. ya know why? cuz the diamond was not big enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! she said he cant give me the lifetsyle i need. WTF!!!!!!!!!! SHALLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ohio HST members please read this
ohiochica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 03:16 AM   #14
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

^^ Ummm...I know your cousin is family and all...but you need to destroy her. Erase any record of her ever existing and all will be right.

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 03-10-2004, 08:03 AM   #15
BlackWolf
La Loba Loca

Nah, I'm not into jewerly at all. I don't like to wear rings because they bother me, I don't like necklaces because they feel like they're choking me, etc.... Don't get me wrong, I think they're pretty, just not for me. I don't see the point in spending alot of money on a rock. I mean... it's a rock....hello??...The only stone I would ever get would be a sapphire. I love the deep royal color. And don't get me started about white gold & platinium(?). It looks just like sterling silver.....obviously I don't like gold either.......
Old 03-10-2004, 08:05 AM   #16
Whiteclipse99
4th Gear

If I only ever have one piece of diamond jewelry in my life I will be completely fine with that. Although as overrated as it is, I would like a diamond engagement ring at some point in my life. I'm not really into diamonds. I actually prefer CZ. They're inexpensive and if you lose any it's not that big of a deal. I actually don't even wear jewelry that much, so I would never expect my significant other to ever buy me a piece of jewelry as a gift. I'm a simple girl. (so why am I still single? )
Old 03-10-2004, 09:23 AM   #17
SolPol

Quote:
oh another story, my cousin said no when her hubby asked her to marry him. ya know why? cuz the diamond was not big enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! she said he cant give me the lifetsyle i need. WTF!!!!!!!!!! SHALLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You said it's her husband in there. So she did marry the guy? Or no?

Quote:
(so why am I still single? )

Well apparently guys in PA are morons
Old 03-10-2004, 10:48 AM   #18
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

My wife loves jewelry. I know Ive spent my far share on diamonds. Look at it this way, its an investment. Diamonds dont decrease in value. The key is to find the most amount of jewelry for the least about of money. Then have it appraised. For example, my wifes engagement/wedding ring appraises for almost 4 times more then I paid for it. My platinum wedding band appraises for almost 3 times as much. You all are saying whoopie, right? This is where insurance comes in. If my wife were to lose her engagement/wedding band we would get almost 4 times the amount of money back. Or if we ever hit hard times and need the cash, we could always sell it.

My wife was worth every penny I paid for that ring. Im not saying that everything I buy her has to be diamonds, Ive bought her CZ's that she likes just as much. It shouldnt be about price, but why it was bought. If she doesnt like the gift, then the problem is probably deeper then the size of the diamond.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:16 PM   #19
ohiochica

Quote:
Originally posted by SolPol
You said it's her husband in there. So she did marry the guy? Or no?

Yep, he asked her again a year later with an even bigger ring.

Ohio HST members please read this
ohiochica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 12:57 PM   #20
SolPol

What a dumbass that guy is
Old 03-10-2004, 01:04 PM   #21
Whiteclipse99
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by ohiochica
Yep, he asked her again a year later with an even bigger ring.

That's ridiculous! Guess we know who wears the pants in that relationship.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:01 PM   #22
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice
It shouldnt be about price, but why it was bought.

This is very true...but why does it, in fact, always come back to how much you spent? Rings are symbols of commitment so why does it matter what they're made of or what they've got on them? I could make a ring from scraps of tin and who's to say it doesn't symbolize my commitment just as well as platinum or gold? Of course, that's a moot point as I don't like wearing jewelry of any sort and I think it's pretty safe to assume I'll never get married.

Old 03-11-2004, 08:59 AM   #23
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

I cant speak for all cases, but my wife and I usually dont talk about how much something costs. Mainly because she doesnt care. I got lucky though, hence the reason why I am married.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:20 AM   #24
Whiteclipse99
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by SolPol

That's just one of the many reasons I need to get the hell out of Pa.

Quote:
and I think it's pretty safe to assume I'll never get married.

Do you say that because it's just not something you're interested in doing or for another reason?
Old 03-11-2004, 11:58 AM   #25
SolPol

Look on the bright side....it can't be worse than Jersey
Old 03-11-2004, 01:43 PM   #26
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by Whiteclipse99
Do you say that because it's just not something you're interested in doing or for another reason?

Mostly because experience tells me so. I'm not wholely opposed to the idea, but at the same time I don't know that I need a ceremony to tell me that I want to spend the rest of my life with someone. That and I don't think I'll ever be able to find a girl who'd put up with me for more than...say...6 months.

Old 03-13-2004, 01:24 AM   #27
mylittlecivic

who gives a F*** all i need is lovin

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6 but..what do i know..i'm drunk...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
.."Fer crissakes, Paddy, that's yer air freshener!"
Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
I'm not white. I'm Canadian.
mylittlecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 11:33 AM   #28
Kool-Aid

Diamonds are nice but not necessary...it isn't something I expect. If I get them then that's fine...but if I don't get them then that's fine also...Im not much for jewelry at all anyway..the only thing I wear is my class ring from high school...and that's it...I have holes inmy ears but I don't wear earrings...Im weird.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:46 PM   #29
Jessy

I like diamonds. however..... the biggest one i've ever had was 1/4karat and it was at the wrong place and the WRONG time. the problem with diamonds is when people use them to buy females, or when females ALLOW themselves to be bought. or even worse....demand that they be bought.
the diamond ring i had was given to me by an exboyfriend in an attempt to buy me. i dumped him shortly thereafter, and the ring now graces my jewelry box which is about the size of my palm. moral of the story? diamonds do not equal love.
i do love jewelry though....anything silver.
my boyfriend bought me a 6 dollar silver pinky ring while we were in mexico. y'know? best present i've ever gotten.

the only time i'm going to want to see a diamond is on an engagement or wedding ring. and the only reason i want it there is because i think they're pretty, and also because it's kindof a tradition. would a CZ work just as well? you bet. i can't tell the difference.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:30 PM   #30
Kool-Aid

A plastic flower ring from a vending machine would probably hold more "sentimental value" than a diamond....the thought and intent is what really matters to me.
Old 03-27-2004, 01:48 AM   #31
spoogenet

Quote:
Originally posted by Kool-Aid
A plastic flower ring from a vending machine would probably hold more "sentimental value" than a diamond....the thought and intent is what really matters to me.

Any interest in moving to Texas?

I know this'll sound super cheesy and all, but THAT'S ROMANCE! Diamong's are "romance" and "romantic"......but romance....what it is....it's the fundamental feeling and emotion behind an action, not the face value. Too bad romance is all but dead in today's world.

b
Old 03-29-2004, 12:31 AM   #32
Kool-Aid

Ha ha ha...very funny...Texas?!?! I don't know about Texas...
Old 03-29-2004, 10:19 AM   #33
biker's back

Often the smaller/classier stuff isnt to pricy. See its not so much that its diamonds its the fact women like to be showered/covered in nice things. Add some good marketing and women think diamonds are the answer.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:45 PM   #34
spoogenet

Quote:
Originally posted by Kool-Aid
Ha ha ha...very funny...Texas?!?! I don't know about Texas...

Austin isn't my bag, baby.....hey I used to live in LV! Then again, I was between the ages of 7 months and 3 something......gotta love the military life. Now that I'm all civilian.....it sucks. Give me 3 years anywhere and I'm just antsy to go somewhere new.

On topic....errrr......ruby is nicer....it's my birthstone.....yeah.

b
Old 03-31-2004, 10:38 AM   #35
DsBlu01CivEX

OH if we're gonna switch from diamonds to another gemstone...then I'm all opal all the way. If a man is going to "shower" me in jewels...I want it to be opals. Too bad it's unlucky for someone not born in Oct to buy them. *makes mental note~Find a guy born in October~end mental note*

http://www.myspace.com/kenike
DsBlu01CivEX is offline   Reply With Quote