Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2004, 04:30 PM   #1
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

getting new wheels

I need new wheels & tire package. Can anyone tell me where I could find good wheels? Im looking for 17" wheels with tire package. I found decent ones for 600 at wheelsnext but the customer service rep was gay so i didnt buy from them. If anyone knows where theres cheaper places please tell me. Thanks for any help.....
Civic_RedLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 05:34 PM   #2
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

I would highly recommend you stay away from heavy odd-looking 17's
16" max imo
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 05:46 PM   #3
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

why is that? I see many people put in 17" rims on their stock civic...do you know any website where I can get a good deal?
Old 07-23-2004, 08:54 PM   #4
JDMFantasy2k

lighter, cheaper, less to keep clean, smaller tires= cheaper tires, and pat and myself just like the look better. 17's can look nice on a civic but everyone has his own preference.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:00 PM   #5
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

wouldnt 17's have better tires then? I found one at speedandstyle.com for 599. They are 17 that come with tires. Im trying to ask the guy to do it cheaper if so I will get those. Do you know if the 17's will fit my 2001 civic with my factory lug nuts? or do i have to modify something in order for them 17's to fit... thanks in advance for any help
Old 07-23-2004, 10:12 PM   #6
95DX
2nd Gear

some rims MIGHT allow stock lug nuts but not many and don't modify your lug nuts it could be dangerious just by new correct ones. tires are tires they wouldn't be any better on a 12 inch rim vs a 24 inch rim etc
95DX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 10:25 PM   #7
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

lol you telling me not to modify the lugnuts.... michelin modified my lug nuts when i switched my hubcaps to factory honda rims. They simply took out the black rubber part, thats all. I dont know if thats modifying but thats what they did. Can you check tires section i posted up there and need some help. Thank you in advance for any help..

!! I didnt mean modifying the lugnuts, i just meant modyfying anything on the car in order for the rim to fit.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:12 PM   #8
JDMFantasy2k

actually now that we're talking about lugs, i'm not sure if i need new ones for my new wheels. wtf is the difference i thoguht they were all the same
Old 07-23-2004, 11:20 PM   #9
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

they are because they fit my new rims when i got them now im getting another 17" so i dont know if i do need new ones because i didnt need new ones before
Old 07-24-2004, 12:45 AM   #10
95DX
2nd Gear

the 17s your going with are Im assuming aftermarket which you most likely need to get new lug nuts and you won't need to modify anything. The difference is the way the lug nuts are designed/shaped, ie the rims I went with (Drag DR5s) I had to change mine since my stock lug nuts wouldn't work. This was due to the rim to lug hole design, their design wouldn't allow the stock lug nuts to go all the way in to the base of the lug hole (too short). Another example is when I had a 280Z, I found 240Z slotted mags in a junkyard, and I really liked em so I bought em, the lug nuts were the same treading but the design was totally different and I would have never in a million years been able to use the stock lug nuts due to the difference in design (kinda like trying to put a triangle into a round hole) hope this is basicly what your looking for
Old 07-24-2004, 12:49 AM   #11
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

yep thanks! I just wasnt sure about the 17's fitting my stock civic. Its not lowered or anything everything on it is just stock, but when I do get the 17's they will come with nice wider tires 205/40/17 are those a good size? I also have to pay 60$ for lug nuts and tire mounting which doesnt even come with locks.

I was going to get the AEM v2 cold air intake first but then thought why not better rims and tires. By buying better rims and tires I can spend 600 then sell my stock honda rims/tires for 400+ on ebay and end up only paying 200 for 17's =)

Last edited by Civic_RedLine : 07-24-2004 at 12:54 AM.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:59 AM   #12
95DX
2nd Gear

Im not sure what your tires are stock but you probably need 40 series for your speedo to be close to correct (wont be exactly correct it'll be off by a couple of miles either way) the 50 series (which you got) the speedo will be off a little more but just stay with the speed of traffic and you should be fine. I'd say once you get the wheels head to Pep Boys or any auto parts store and invest in some wheel locks (take one of the new lug nuts in with you so everything can be checked so you get the right ones) since it would suck to walk out one day and find your car on blocks and you no longer have those rims
Old 07-24-2004, 01:29 AM   #13
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

the tire size im getting with the 17's are 205/40/17, I can upgrade to 215 for 60$ but i dont think ill need em. is that what you mean by the 40 series? 205/40?
Old 07-24-2004, 03:01 AM   #14
95DX
2nd Gear

yea that what I meant
Old 08-04-2004, 10:03 PM   #15
CivicDemon

I would check this site out. I would get some Volk rims, but everyone has their own preference.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:00 AM   #16
SeoulJaGirl

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_RedLine
the tire size im getting with the 17's are 205/40/17, I can upgrade to 215 for 60$ but i dont think ill need em. is that what you mean by the 40 series? 205/40?

depending on how wide your rims are, i would go with the wider 215s. i got a set of konigs that were 7.5" wide with 205s, and i have the damn pizza cutter effect going on. not very attractive ah well. i think i'm going to get a different set of wheels whenever i get back anyway
Old 08-07-2004, 01:09 PM   #17
AkimboStylee

that site you gave us was outragouesly priced.
got www.wheelguyz.com , they are a lot cheaper. oh and dont go with 17s on a civic, i speak from example, go with something tht fits the body line. i would just go with si rims, or gsr fat 5's
Old 08-07-2004, 06:44 PM   #18
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Quote:
Originally posted by krwheeler85
...dont go with 17s on a civic, i speak from example, go with something tht fits the body line...

Heh! Wanna see a shocker?

The outside diameter of a 185/65/14 and a 205/40/17 are essentially the same...

DISCLAIMER The existence of BDC is disputable. The existence of views, in the absence
of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise
in the second order coefficient.
BlackDeuceCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 08:17 PM   #19
sicones

get the 17's, 16's are stupid and are an odd size nobody even sells 16's where I live
sicones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 03:08 AM   #20
RxGoaT13
4th Gear

^ sorry i have to disagree, 16's IMO are alot better than 17's, 17's are like clown shoes,your ride will look weird.I have 16's on my ride and im wishing i would have just stuck with 15's.nobody sells 16's where you live? they should be available at any decent tire and rim shop.17's are just over priced and you'll end up regretting it in the future.
RxGoaT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 04:41 AM   #21
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

Why is it that majority of the people are disliking 17" rims? can anyone give me a logical example why it sucks? not some they suck and look back. Im asking for some feedback, like what went wrong maybe? not how it looks on small cars
Old 08-08-2004, 11:04 AM   #22
pdiggitydogg

17 sucks because the civic/integra was designed to match w/ a 15" max wheel (from honda). So going w/ that size you get a clean, smooth, good looking wheel.
Some people decided to go w/ the 16" wheel for an added bling effect. (I did and now I wish I had 15"). Its a good size wheel, looks ok on it, and says "I have money to spend on wheels that are a little too large".

17, 18+ wheels look ridiculous. When comparing it to the stock wheels that came with it (other than si) its 3" larger. Thats huge.

The larger wheel you go:
the less mpg you get
the slower your acceleration becomes
the goofier the wheels look
the ride quality goes down w/ thinner tires

Here is stock compared to 17 (16 use your imagination)

Also, you always say you have no money...what do you think those large, low profile 17" tires are going to cost when compared to smaller more flexable ones?

But hell, do what you want...your car, your money, your choices.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:37 PM   #23
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

I dont have money. I have si wheels with 1 month old tires that I can sell on ebay for 400+ then buy the 17" package for 600 so ill be spending only 200 of my money + my rims
Old 08-08-2004, 12:43 PM   #24
pdiggitydogg

my point was in the future...but whatever
If I were you Id just keep the si wheels. They look good. Theyre great quality. They have cheap tires. Theyre something that most people would rather have than 17's.

The package that youre getting for $600 includes absolute shit wheels and absolute shit tires. Just for reference. I spend $500 on rota wheels (and that is concidered cheap) and another $400 on tires (which is also concidered cheap). After tax and what-not I spent close to $1000 (duh).
Another issue where you shouldnt get cheap shit. Its youre safety that youre playing with. You want to get good stuff. Stop trying to pawn off items so you can afford the bare minimum of parts. Stick w/ what you have and be happy w/ it.

If you do go ahead and get that garbage setup I do not want to see you complaining about having to get new tires in 2months since the cheap ones died or have bad traction in any weather.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:57 PM   #25
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

umm, the si wheels look like shit for your information. NO ONE WANTS THE SI WHEELS I DONT KNOW WHY I PAID $280 FOR THEM!!!!!!!

THE RIMS ARE 2002 si stock

Last edited by Civic_RedLine : 08-08-2004 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:31 PM   #26
pdiggitydogg

Hey, Im just trying to save you from more headaches. My mistake I didnt read your mind and realize you meant ep3 si wheels instead of em1 si wheels. I'll admit to that. I do, however, know what they look like and I dont really think theyre that bad. I wouldnt say I like them all that much, but I wouldnt call them shit. Theyre better than some of the wheels honda's made in the past.

well lets see...I found 25 individual threads on honda-tech all about "where to find them" "want to buy" and "for sale $300+"
If you dont want them find someone to sell them there...you'll get more than what you paid.

In fact, there was a user here that just bought a set of them. If you had seen that thread earlier last month you could have made some money.

How much do they weigh anyways?
Old 08-08-2004, 01:36 PM   #27
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

18 without tires it hink
Old 08-08-2004, 06:13 PM   #28
AkimboStylee

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_RedLine
umm, the si wheels look like shit for your information. NO ONE WANTS THE SI WHEELS I DONT KNOW WHY I PAID $280 FOR THEM!!!!!!!

THE RIMS ARE 2002 si stock

speak for yourself there buddy, i had 17s on my cr, that i bought for 800 dollars. i was driving about 80 on the free way and one of my 17 inch rims decided to crack from the vibration that diving 80 caused. my car then broke a tie rod, and sent me into a tree, where i didn't do any damage, cause i luckily got the car stop just inches from the tree. i wish i had gotten the si rims because they look better than most aftermarket rims out there. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR is all i have to say.

i speak from experience when i say dont get the 17s, the tires are toodamn expensive, sure you can get tires for cheap, but the key word is cheap, how long will they last. i had tires less than 5000 miles, and on my stock rims, im at 20000 plus and no problems. if you wanted a good reason, safty is a good reason. i almost got killed, if that is not enough of a reason to stop you from getting new wheels, than be preparred to expect the worst. also aftermarket lug nuts, will mess up most stock honda threads, i know that one from experience as well. i had to replace some of the threads when i went back to stock. its not a good idea.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:20 PM   #29
pdiggitydogg

Quote:
Originally posted by krwheeler85
also aftermarket lug nuts, will mess up most stock honda threads, i know that one from experience as well. i had to replace some of the threads when i went back to stock. its not a good idea.

That could be a tightening issue.
I always tighten to 85ft/lbs and I have had 3 sets of aftermarket lugs (swiched to oem twice) and never had an issue
Old 08-08-2004, 10:57 PM   #30
AkimboStylee

guess they were just screwed up lugs, but dont get large rims!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!