::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2003, 12:29 PM   #1
espo42

swap info

i am thinking of swaping a stock engine out of a 94 civic hatchback to a jdm b16a2 or "hydraulic" what will i be expecting to change such as will i need to change the axles , tranny, wiring, exhaust or will i be able to keep the stock stuff, or what wili need to change thanks
Old 01-28-2003, 09:51 PM   #2
96coupe

with MOST full swaps you get motor, tranny, axles, shift linkage, mounts, and ecu all of which you will need.
you can keep your stock exhaust but you will need a different exhaust manifold or header which may or may not come with the swap. the cat-back will work but your stock exhaust will rob you of power. also it is a good idea with the motor out to change things like the timing belt. i am assuming you have a manual transmission or else more parts will be needed
Old 01-28-2003, 09:59 PM   #3
espo42

so basicly everything that comes in the package will need to be changed and nothing else? sorry if i sound like a retard i don't know alot about what needs to be changed
Old 01-28-2003, 10:49 PM   #4
slowEJ6

buy a complete swap, then it comes with everything you need. then you'll know what needs to be swapped out.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 10:52 PM   #5
slowEJ6

on another note, you said yourself you dont really know anything about this stuff. so i hope this isnt your daily driver and that you have friends whom have done this kind of thing. otherwise you are going to be in for hell and its not going to take only a day to do it.

do a lot more research man....and maybe if you dont know anyone personally thats done this stuff, find someone on the board that has and may be able to help you in your area.

and plz dont take this as a flame or anything, im just tryin to give you some pointers.

good luck.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 06:12 PM   #6
espo42

no i see what u mean i dont take i as flame iknow a good bit about engines and stuff on more domestic cars but not on imports thanks for anyways for your help tho if i ca ask one morequestion if anyone knows where i find a good website that sells jdm egines that won't rip me off and has good prices thanks o andanotehr note that is one clean and sweet car
Old 01-30-2003, 06:10 PM   #7
JDMB16

Re: swap info

Quote:
Originally posted by espo42
i am thinking of swaping a stock engine out of a 94 civic hatchback to a jdm b16a2 or "hydraulic" what will i be expecting to change such as will i need to change the axles , tranny, wiring, exhaust or will i be able to keep the stock stuff, or what wili need to change thanks

there isn't a such thing as a JDM B16A2 and what do you mean hydraulic? The only JDM B16A's are the first gen B16A which is a cable transmission, 160 hp and OBD-0, the second gen B16A which is a hydraulic transmission, 170 hp and OBD-1 and the B16B which is found in the Civic Type-R and is hard to find and EXPENSIVE and 185 hp. The B16A2 has a hydraulic transmission and so does your car if that's what you were saying about "hydraulic". When you buy a swap, typically you will get all the needed parts like motor, ECU, transmission, axles, wiring harness and exhaust manifold. Be sure to find out if all these parts come with the motor!! Also FYI, the B-series (ANY B series) motors are very easy to swap into a 5th gen Civic!! You don't have to buy any aftermarket mounts or anything like you have to do with various other swaps and the axles work perfect.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:04 PM   #8
espo42

s yes what i ment was the second gen b16 i didn't know if i was right int heir being 2 gens but anyways thanks for all theinforamtion u gave me now i all i need to do is find out here to buy from that has a good rep in giving you all your part and in good working condition
Old 01-30-2003, 07:07 PM   #9
espo42

o yeah i forgot also not to be pain in the as* but what can i be expecting for labor cost's to be. thanks
Old 01-30-2003, 07:21 PM   #10
JDMB16

www.hmotorsonline.com - where I got my second gen B16A
www.sohfast.com
www.importautosalvage.com

all in no particular order

I don't know about the charge since I did mine myself like all my work but I know it won't be cheap
Old 01-30-2003, 07:42 PM   #11
espo42

yea i firgured i just don't have enough time to do it myself but if the price is to high i just might have to
Old 01-30-2003, 10:03 PM   #12
96coupe

i have heard quotes on the labor from 500-1000, really depends on where you go. if i were you, and didn't know what to do, i would try to find someone in your area who has done a swap before and pay them. this way the cost is usually cheaper and you can watch/help to learn how to do the swap.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:21 PM   #13
espo42

what times do you think i can expect with the swap ?
Old 02-01-2003, 11:44 PM   #14
96coupe

1/4 mile times or how long to do the swap?
Old 02-02-2003, 10:51 AM   #15
espo42

sorry 1/4 times
Old 02-02-2003, 12:16 PM   #16
96coupe

a 99-00 civic si runs about a 15.8 stock so you should times less than that with a lighter hatchback, i am not sure of the exact times but it would depend on the initial mods you have
Old 02-02-2003, 08:45 PM   #17
espo42

o i was guessing around high 14's?
Old 02-02-2003, 09:53 PM   #18
96coupe

you will probably be close to mid-high 14's w/ a good driver, lighter car, and some bolt-ons