Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Wheels, Tires, Suspension, and Brakes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2002, 11:01 PM   #1
yumdawg25

Suspension

Hey there guys,
I'm new at this so please bare with me. I have a '99 Civic Coupe EX. I was fortunate enough to buy some Enkei Shoguns 17". I absolutely love them. Going along with the new wheels I got 205/40ZR-17's Kumho's. And finally I got my car lowered about 1.5 inches with the Eibach Pro-Kit Springs. I also have OBX Racing front and rear strut bars in. Now with all that in mind, when I'm driving relatively fast around 90+ mph's, and when the road dips, my tires will every now and then hit the wheel well of my car. First of all, I'm wondering if that is normal and what options I have to counteract that. On the road with everyday driving, the tires will rarely hit. So I'm wondering if I should just ease up on the fast driving or if there's something that I can upgrade. I've been told that sway bars are the best bet but money is definitely the issue there. Please help me, anyone out there.
Old 01-29-2002, 11:10 PM   #2
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

This is common when you have the wrong offset wheels.. you can try to roll your lips of your fender wells, swaybars may help.. Some good shocks may help a little too. Is the front or the back hitting? Can you tell exactly were its hitting at?
Old 01-30-2002, 10:03 AM   #3
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

I really dont suggest rolling up the fenders..

You're on oe shocks right? You should try a much stiffer shock.
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 07:07 PM   #4
SWIFT

if you didnt get a new set of shocks, it's very likely to happen. if you're getting new shocks, dont go cheap (like the tokico blues). get the illuminas or kyb adjustables...or koni's..
Old 02-02-2002, 08:59 AM   #5
jocalucas

Hi yumdawg25,

Your problem is a combination of factors:

1- Bigger wheels - 17 x 7"
2- Wrong offset (probably 40mm)
3- Lowered suspension

There are 3 ways to solve your tire rubbing problem:

1- Change your rims by other 43 to 45mm offset rims.

2- Roll your fender lip (which I disagre - will accumulate a lot of dirt).

3- Suspend your car to stock height - this would not resolve the problem but would reduce rubbing.

Note - "Hard" shox- IMHO won't work because AEM shox like Koni Sport or Bilstein HD do not "stiffen" on bumps, only on rebounds.

This way, when you hit a bump, your suspension travels all the way down freelly (only the springs are acting at this moment). Then, the springs respond pushing the suspension upward and the shocks will act (rebound).

Only dual action shox would help to reduce rubbing, but your ride would be very very harsh and very unconfortable.

Those shox are good only for racing purposes.

HTH

jocalucas
Old 02-02-2002, 08:30 PM   #6
espionage

Do you have any pics? That's the set-up I wanted except I was going to get the KYB AGX Adjustable Shocks. I also have a 40mm offset and I believe that I will have rubbing.
Old 02-03-2002, 07:11 AM   #7
jocalucas

Quote:
Originally posted by espionage
Do you have any pics? That's the set-up I wanted except I was going to get the KYB AGX Adjustable Shocks. I also have a 40mm offset and I believe that I will have rubbing.

No, I'm sorry. I don't have any pics.

jocalucas
Old 02-09-2002, 02:40 AM   #8
Dezoris

I don't care what shock you have at 90MPH you are going to rub on dips, Even most race shocks are not designed for abnormal road conditions and become unsettled on most bumps or dips.

My setup even with the stock rims raised to about a 1" drop on a hard turn on even road I a bang the fenders.

Rolling your fenders do no harm, this is only rolling the lip or the rear which does not hurt anything, unless you do it like a mad man and actually bend the sheet metal above the lip.

The front fender cannot be rolled without modifying them.
This is really the only way to, successfully add a rim with a lower offset, or you can dial in 2-3 degrees of negative camber.

Either way don't worry too much about it, unless you lose control from banging them.