::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > New Kid on the Block
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2002, 02:15 AM   #1
Prophcy0

Introducing...

I just wanted to introduce myself. I've been lurking around these forums for a week or so, and decided to register because I know I'm gonna need some advice on installing a bunch of stuff on my Civic since I know absolutely nothing about cars. The people on these boards seem to be very nice and willing to help. I have a 94 Civic EX Sedan. My only mod so far is an exhaust tip

I'm about to be a junior in highschool, and I'm just now getting my liscense. I want to do some stuff to speed my civic up a little bit, but I don't want it to be a racing machine or anything. 10-20 hp is more than enough to satisfy me. Any more than that and I'm bound to get myself into some trouble, heh. The first thing I plan on getting is a cold air intake. I know this is probably a really dumb question, but I've seen some cold air intakes on ebay for like 50 bucks. I believe the brand was ProSpeed or something. I've also seen AEM filters on ebay, and they're around 150 - 180 dollars. As far as I can tell, everyone gets AEM cold air intakes because they are supposedly the best, but I was wondering if there was really that big of a difference? Like I said, I'm only in highschool so I'm pretty poor

Anyway, I guess that's enough of my rambling for now. Thanks in advance for answering my question.

Oh yea, I have some (crappy) pics of my car at http://www.cardomain.com/id/prophcy0
Old 05-31-2002, 02:42 AM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Hey, welcome to HS

As for the intake, in my opinion, you should buy quality parts that will last, and AEM is one of those. The other intakes will work, but I'd go with AEM. For all of your parts, check www.groupbuycenter.com for cheap prices.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 08:51 AM   #3
LudeBitch

Hello and welcome to HS!
Old 05-31-2002, 09:33 AM   #4
Honda_Gurl

howdy & welcome to HS i agree with 94accordex, u'll get your money's worth with the AEM
Old 05-31-2002, 01:23 PM   #5
Prophcy0

Thanks for the warm welcome, and thanks for the help with the cold air intake. One thing though - when you say the cheap CAI will work, does that mean it'll work just as good as the AEM one? I understand I pay for what I get, but I'm one of those cheap type of people.

Thanks again
Old 05-31-2002, 04:40 PM   #6
1SweetV6

You have to be careful of those cheap brands. Some brake very easily because there made so cheap. Every now and then I hear an AEM brakes the mounting bracket, but I have not heard of 1 case that AEM did not fix it for free. They just sent out a new pipe and had that person send it back. You have to pay S/H but 15 bucks is allot better than wasting 60+ on a no name brand that tells you O well tuff $hit. Just something to remember. I can not speak for AEM but I can for HP racing. My CAI mounting bracket broke and I took it back the pro shop I got it from, they shipped a new one asap and I didn't even have to pay for S/H.
Old 05-31-2002, 08:03 PM   #7
Maxvla

welcome to the club. make yourself at... uh... garage. lol.
Old 05-31-2002, 08:30 PM   #8
blind34_1

hey welcome to HS. I thought it was kind of funny, I read your first post and you said "10-20hp is more than enough to satisfy me". You mean ADDING 10-20 is enough for you. Otherwise you'd be driving a suped up lawnmower! (or geo metro). Good luck with the whole money thing, I know how that goes.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 08:37 PM   #9
Prophcy0

lol, yea, I meant adding 10 - 20hp. Although a suped up lawnmower would be pretty cool... I could put switches on it and everything.
Old 05-31-2002, 08:49 PM   #10
Prophcy0

One quick question - I know it probably varies by state, but are clear corners legal?
Old 05-31-2002, 11:31 PM   #11
4jacks

I cleared my corners so I hope they are ! LOL .. i dunno for serious, but put some amber bulbs in them and you'll be fine... APC brand available at pep boys.

welcome to the boards
Happy Honda'ing

Happy Honda'ing
4jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 01:54 AM   #12
Prophcy0

Maxvla, I was wondering... who is that 'hottie' in your avatar?
Old 06-01-2002, 01:58 AM   #13
Prophcy0

Nevermind Maxvla... I looked under your avatar and saw the Kan Mi Youn = dream thing, and figured it out
Old 06-01-2002, 02:25 AM   #14
mylittlecivic

Hey welcome to hondastyle! always good to see new people

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6 but..what do i know..i'm drunk...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
.."Fer crissakes, Paddy, that's yer air freshener!"
Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
I'm not white. I'm Canadian.
mylittlecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 05:55 PM   #15
Maxvla

Quote:
Originally posted by Prophcy0
Nevermind Maxvla... I looked under your avatar and saw the Kan Mi Youn = dream thing, and figured it out

you have good taste my friend... i see you will go far.
Old 06-01-2002, 07:20 PM   #16
Prophcy0

Maxvla, do you have those pics in your avatar in a larger size?