User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2002, 11:02 PM   #1
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Post Pollution report (on cars)

Honda fleet least polluting in U.S.

DaimlerChrysler finishes last in survey rating vehicle pollution; Ford is only carmaker to improve.
December 4, 2002: 12:47 PM EST
====================================
Key findings from the UCS survey:

Toyota is the only automaker to cut its fleet average of CO2 emissions from model year 2000 to 2001.

Honda's lead in the rankings slipped as new tailpipe standards forced competitors to catch up on reducing smog-forming emissions.

Nissan's most popular cars and trucks are consistently among the least fuel-efficient vehicles in many size classes.

DaimlerChrysler's CO2 emissions rose more than other automakers' from 2000 to 2001, even though it was the only firm to reduce its reliance on truck sales.
=======================================

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Honda produces the least-polluting vehicle fleet in the U.S. market while DaimlerChrysler is at the bottom of the list of automakers, according to a survey released Wednesday by the Union of Concerned Scientists.

The UCS survey analyzed the environmental performance of the six largest automakers in the U.S. market. Together, they sell nine of every 10 vehicles in the United States.

Honda (HMC: down $0.13 to $18.65, Research, Estimates) was followed by Toyota, Nissan, Ford (F: up $0.30 to $10.26, Research, Estimates), General Motors (GM: up $0.55 to $38.45, Research, Estimates) and DaimlerChrysler (DCX: up $1.02 to $34.77, Research, Estimates).

Ford was the only vehicle maker to move up in the UCS survey. The group said Ford's environmental progress was due to company Chairman William Clay Ford Jr.

"Ford deserves credit for going beyond federal requirements to clean up smog-forming emissions from its trucks," said Jason Mark, who oversaw the UCS survey. "Bill Ford has touted his green thumb, but until now only his speeches have merited a thumbs up," he said.

Related stories

Two cars do poorly in bumper tests

VW Beetle rag-top worth the wait

The UCS said Ford was on track to meet its pledge to boost the fuel economy of its sport/utility vehicles by 25 percent from model year 2000 to 2005, but Ford's SUV gains were offset by fuel economy declines in the firm's other vehicles.

The group noted that when Ford made its commitment to increase SUV fuel economy by 25 percent, GM vowed to retain its lead in overall truck fuel economy. GM now trails Ford by just 0.1 mile per gallon, the group said.

In its survey, UCS looked at the two main environmental problems related to vehicles -- smog-forming pollution and carbon dioxide emissions that are linked to global warming.

Vehicles sold by the six largest automakers account for 93 percent of all smog-forming pollution and 92 percent of all carbon dioxide emissions.

Federal regulations allow trucks to pollute more than cars.

As a result, the average 2001 model year truck spewed 2.4 times more smog-forming pollution and 1.4 times more CO2 emissions than the average 2001 car.
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 11:13 PM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Those are some very interesting stats.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 11:15 PM   #3
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

interesting

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 12:44 AM   #4
darkdaedra

Ummm, I guess it would be pretty goddam unoriginal to say interesting, so...

Hmmmmm, definitely worth noting...
Old 12-05-2002, 02:45 PM   #5
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

I think its because honda has the smallest motors... and no trucks.. j/k
Old 12-05-2002, 03:28 PM   #6
mt.biker

gotta love my honda
Old 12-05-2002, 08:45 PM   #7
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice
I think its because honda has the smallest motors... and no trucks.. j/k

no trucks?
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 10:31 PM   #8
firstgeardude

doesnt honda have a new truck? the Pilot, and then theres the CRV... but thats not a truck
Old 12-05-2002, 10:33 PM   #9
78 monte

Great for Honda.
But I on the other hand feel increasing automotive emmissions standards increase the cost of living for working class Americans who have there own transportation.I feel certain exemptions should be allowed for the working poor.Besides there little "Spend $450 or more and we'll exempt you for a year" crapola.Ya "save the trees" but not at the expense of the average working class man w/ bills and low wages.
Just my .02 on emmissions
Old 12-06-2002, 07:36 AM   #10
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord Man
no trucks?

No, those are little SUVs.. Im talking about real trucks with motors that can pull themselves up a hill..
Old 12-06-2002, 07:40 AM   #11
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by 78 monte
Great for Honda.
But I on the other hand feel increasing automotive emmissions standards increase the cost of living for working class Americans who have there own transportation.I feel certain exemptions should be allowed for the working poor.Besides there little "Spend $450 or more and we'll exempt you for a year" crapola.Ya "save the trees" but not at the expense of the average working class man w/ bills and low wages.
Just my .02 on emmissions

yeah but the average class is the biggest consumer for cars, therefore the most emissions. i think we should get tax breaks for owning a honda

Old 12-06-2002, 09:42 AM   #12
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
yeah but the average class is the biggest consumer for cars, therefore the most emissions. i think we should get tax breaks for owning a honda

You can, if you get a hybrid..
Old 12-06-2002, 10:11 AM   #13
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice
You can, if you get a hybrid..
oh yeah how could i forget about the insight beast ? some mad 74 hp with no torque, but it's a freakin roadster 2 seats

Old 12-06-2002, 10:48 AM   #14
mt.biker

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac

nah they should just be making the "bad" car companies pay hug taxes/fines until they clean up their act. The eviroment is worth alot more then 500-600$ in tax saves. Hell i'd pay an extra 10% tax on my car if i knew it would ensure a healthier planet for my kids and theirs kids.